XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
jag1
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0 auto

Titan trims water marks.

2010 2.0 SE auto Artic white--- If I drive car in rain the upper front spoiler gets huge water marks on the surface light grey in colour, (original colour silver) BMW have replaced trim but still happens. If I leave it outside to dry off or dry it with a hairdryer the colour comes back to silver. Has anyone experienced anything similar ?, polish and sealants make no difference so doesn't look like a chemical reaction.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1 View Post
2010 2.0 SE auto Artic white--- If I drive car in rain the upper front spoiler gets huge water marks on the surface light grey in colour, (original colour silver) BMW have replaced trim but still happens. If I leave it outside to dry off or dry it with a hairdryer the colour comes back to silver. Has anyone experienced anything similar ?, polish and sealants make no difference so doesn't look like a chemical reaction.
Hi jag1, welcome to the forum

Interesting point as I have noticed this as well. Thought I was the only one! I have tried various coatings on that silver trim with no success, really wierd
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #3
jag1
Rep

It seems the surface is porous in colder temperatures and when it increases again It dries out. BMW have tried cleaning,replacing, using sealant and also stripping any chemicals on the surrounding black trim, to no improvement, sounds like a design problem. They also claim no one else has highlighted this in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag1 View Post
It seems the surface is porous in colder temperatures and when it increases again It dries out. BMW have tried cleaning,replacing, using sealant and also stripping any chemicals on the surrounding black trim, to no improvement, sounds like a design problem. They also claim no one else has highlighted this in the UK.
I had the same problem before I had the Msport aero kit fitted. I was also getting fed up with not being able to keep the black trim looking black. Tried different products but none of them lasted that long.

I'm now very happy with the car and problem solved forever OK a little extreme but it worked.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
jag1
Rep

Thanks for the comments, guess I am not the only one with the problem.
Appreciate 0