05-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #23
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCADM View Post
You're ALWAYS going to do far better selling privately than you will on trade-in. Any dealer, regardless of whether it's BMW or anyone else, is never going to give you more than low-end wholesale price for your trade-in, while never EVER selling you new at anything less than low-end retail pricing. Most (all?) dealers make their money on service first, reselling trade-ins and selling new vehicles second. In most cases their margins on new cars are pretty minimal and fairly fixed, where they can, in the right circumstances, make a pretty decent buck on a used trade-in.
It's always amazed me how many people will trade-in car after car at a dealership, complain bitterly each time about how badly they got screwed, and two or three years later do it all over again.
I am aware of the better private sale. I never trade in one vehicle in my life, all were private sale. However, I was testing the water, rushed a little bit since the E84 could be ordered by 30 April only. My biggest surprise was how much money they want to make on you. Well, they kind of kick themselves in the but because some owners will start having the impression that BMW resale value is really low, and secondly, the others will not buy from them anymore; for example me. And I will never buy from them!
Bottom line, I had a very serious guy that wanted the car and was even able to put a new order in time, but I refused to sell it due to the fact that 2.8i does not have anymore the Harman Kardon sound system, Adaptive Headlights, Headlight washers and other stuff that mine has, so I will keep it.
Appreciate 0