XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

I need help guys. Strange clicking chattering sound from the engine area 2013 X1

Hi guys,

My wife's 2013 X1 xDrive28i (twin-scroll turbo) started making this series of clicking or chattering sounds lasting for about 1 to 1.5 seconds (I uploaded the sound to Youtube. Link is at the end of this post) after we came home from a short drive to the grocery store today. The sound occurred again when I open the trunk/back door to get the groceries out. A few minutes later when I locked the car, it happened again. I thought maybe if I were to restart the car and move it a bit forward that it would go away, but that didn't work either.

It seems like it has something to do with the electronics or battery, because opening and closing the doors, locking and unlocking the car as well, will start that series of clicking sound. I opened up the hood, and it seems like it's coming from the engine area or below it. Again the sound lasts for about 1 to 1.5 seconds, and it's a series of clicking sound. It's mechanical, sounding almost like when your battery about to die when you are trying to start a car on low battery. But the sound is stronger than that. I'm charging my battery now just in case. But my battery charger states that the car's battery is currently at 49%. Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I was able to record the strange clicking sound in question. The beeps that you hear before the clickings were from me unlocking the car, then you hear the series of clicks, followed by me locking the car. I couldn't upload the video and sound here, so I uploaded to Youtube here.

Last edited by investor27; 04-26-2015 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:53 AM   #2
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey, I am just guessing in here so do not take my word for it. It is very hard to give you a proper answer; even the sound in the clip is not relevant, so I will just throw a "guesssumption" in here.
It might be one of the door's electric actuator. Sometimes, those things start to behave really weird, especially when the battery is low.
Try to go scan with your ear the noise source, eventually look at the door pins and see if one of them goes up and down chaotic.
Anyway, recharge your battery with a trickle charger and see if the sound is gone. That might be the problem.

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-27-2015 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xdrive 28i M Sport

since it's 2013 I'm betting that it's still under warranty, I would take it to the dealership in a heart beat
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Dalco450
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport

Mine does that too since the first day... Don't know what it is, but never drain the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalco450 View Post
Mine does that too since the first day... Don't know what it is, but never drain the battery.
I charged the battery from 49% to full, and that clicking sound still happened when I unlocked the car. Since the sound was coming from the engine area, I decided to push down on the plastic engine cover a few times to make sure that everything is in place. I was amazed when that solved the issue. The sound is gone. I unlocked both front doors, the trunk/back door, started the car, popped the hood again, and none of those actions cause the series of clicking sound heard in the video again, when they used to yesterday.

My wife drove it to work today, so I'm eager to see if everything is alright after the car has moved about the city.

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions guys! You guys are great!
Appreciate 0