XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

If considering LASIK

I thought this article would be helpful

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/1...gtype=Homepage
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13294.50
      06-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

I can't speak for that guy but I was warned many times by all parties involved about the potential for serious and permanent side effects.

There are also many different kinds of lasik procedures and I didn't see which one that guy had.

I had lasik a few years back, best money I ever spent, worth every penny and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But you have to do your own research on the different procedures and ask lots of questions to your doctor and ask for referrals for a surgeon.

I would wager that this guy was in the very small minority of the 600k plus procedures done annually per the article. But yes, rare cases like this can and do happen as I'm sure there are freak things that can and do happen with any kind of elective surgery.
Appreciate 2
cjb7621220.00
Timujin351.50
      06-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

my wife got Lasik about 6 years ago, went smooth in and out in 30mins. However when she first got a consultation for Lasik about 15 years ago, they turned her down bc technology wasnt good enough for her vision condition (astigmatism).
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Just my 2 cents. I did a bunch of research before I had my eyes done since I couldn't replace them. I was active duty Navy at the time. I was able to go priority 2 on the Navy list but was prepared to pay on my own since was told it could take several years before I got a call.

Anyway, after reading a lot of medical studies, and why the Navy chose PRK, that was the route I was determined to go. At about 12 months, the Bethesda contacted me and was able to get in and get PRK through them. I have been 20/15 since 2003.

The reason they said PRK was preferred treatment is because of the likelihood of tearing the flap created during LASIK in blunt force trauma situations or during high G flight. Severed nerve endings, causing tear production issues was also noted. They also said that while LASIK provided a quick reduction in pain and sight improvement, PRK actually resulted in slightly better eyesight results after 12 months.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Just my 2 cents. I did a bunch of research before I had my eyes done since I couldn't replace them. I was active duty Navy at the time. I was able to go priority 2 on the Navy list but was prepared to pay on my own since was told it could take several years before I got a call.

Anyway, after reading a lot of medical studies, and why the Navy chose PRK, that was the route I was determined to go. At about 12 months, the Bethesda contacted me and was able to get in and get PRK through them. I have been 20/15 since 2003.

The reason they said PRK was preferred treatment is because of the likelihood of tearing the flap created during LASIK in blunt force trauma situations or during high G flight. Severed nerve endings, causing tear production issues was also noted. They also said that while LASIK provided a quick reduction in pain and sight improvement, PRK actually resulted in slightly better eyesight results after 12 months.
My son recently had PRK rather than lasik for the reasons you cite. So far, so good. A few days ago I sent him that nytimes article, which seems to imply he made the right choice with PRK. He did his research.

But for me, at my age, PRK or lasik would mean reading glasses or, worse, correcting for reading in one eye and distance in the other.

Since I've happily worn contacts since 1965, I've got no reason to risk eye surgery. The new generation of bifocal lenses take literally a minute morning and night for excellent vision near and far.

That said, if I struggled with contacts, as many do, I'd consider PRK.

One other note: I play tennis with an eye surgeon whose sole practice is correcting botched lasik. Or attempting to. My God, the stories...
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

they are shooting fucking lasers into your eye, obviously there is a chance something could go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

just read that then saw it here. yeah, i know a couple people pretty unhappy after lasix...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #8
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
My son recently had PRK rather than lasik for the reasons you cite. So far, so good. A few days ago I sent him that nytimes article, which seems to imply he made the right choice with PRK. He did his research.

But for me, at my age, PRK or lasik would mean reading glasses or, worse, correcting for reading in one eye and distance in the other.

Since I've happily worn contacts since 1965, I've got no reason to risk eye surgery. The new generation of bifocal lenses take literally a minute morning and night for excellent vision near and far.

That said, if I struggled with contacts, as many do, I'd consider PRK.

One other note: I play tennis with an eye surgeon whose sole practice is correcting botched lasik. Or attempting to. My God, the stories...
I was able to wear contacts for a few years but at some point it became uncomfortable all the time and I went back to glasses. The doctors told me I would need reading glasses sooner than normal due to the surgery but I am 52 and haven’t needed them yet. I figured I would at least have distance vision which is what I really missed. Every once in a while I use a pair of 1.25 readers for working on very small items.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
they are shooting fucking lasers into your eye, obviously there is a chance something could go wrong.
Oh yeah, I saw smoke coming off my eyeballs and smelled burning flesh. Somewhat scary. The laser creates a crackling sound as it burns off a piece of your eyeball. It definitely hurt more than my vasectomy.

Last edited by c1pher; 06-13-2018 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #10
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My Mom had it done years ago. She is back to wearing contacts and glasses. Not worth the risk if you can just use glasses or contacts.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
BILLY MEIER
Rep
Drives: 1995 gti vr6

Don't do it, First advice I can give you is read all the billy meier contact notes, I have spent a lot of money on cosmetic surgeries , including Lasik at TLC in Waltham mass, (tiger woods was promoting it at the time) paid like 6 thousand for best procedure , well I can see better but nothing close to wearing my glasses

Now im back to wearing my glasses, always have dry eyes , use lasik eye drops daily, also spent $35,000 in hair transplants, I just shave my head now, bosley ,, dr cole ,, dr leonard in boston is the worst of the 3, Et race that created us did a shitty job on purpose, that why 33 yeal on chris paul of Houston rockets is considered old lol
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      06-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

No. 1 rule : Wait until you're over 40 yrs of age.
No. 2 rule : Your mileage will vary in terms of correction.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #13
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY MEIER View Post
Don't do it, First advice I can give you is read all the billy meier contact notes, I have spent a lot of money on cosmetic surgeries , including Lasik at TLC in Waltham mass, (tiger woods was promoting it at the time) paid like 6 thousand for best procedure , well I can see better but nothing close to wearing my glasses

Now im back to wearing my glasses, always have dry eyes , use lasik eye drops daily, also spent $35,000 in hair transplants, I just shave my head now, bosley ,, dr cole ,, dr leonard in boston is the worst of the 3, Et race that created us did a shitty job on purpose, that why 33 yeal on chris paul of Houston rockets is considered old lol
That's it people. Internet is closed for the rest of the day.
Appreciate 4
      06-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

i didnt follow much, but why did you have chris paul do your lasik hair transplant surgery with Tiger Woods?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
i didnt follow much, but why did you have chris paul do your lasik hair transplant surgery with Tiger Woods?
Hairy eyes are all the rage now. I'd pay $45k for that as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I had Lasik.

I lived with bad eyesight for about 2 years (never wore glasses or contacts)and then went straight to Lasik.

Correcting your vision (what ever method you choose) and liberating yourself from glasses/contacts is the best money you will ever spend.
Eyesight is better than 20/20. Countless procedures have been preformed, the key is that you follow your post treatment eye drops schedule and recommendations.

I would recommend it 100%
Appreciate 1
BayE301341.00
      06-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:

so what yer saying is you make good money, but are blind and bald. I guess i can live with being perpetually broke since i have good eyesight and thick hair...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #18
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
so what yer saying is you make good money, but are blind and bald. I guess i can live with being perpetually broke since i have good eyesight and thick hair...
im broke with bad eyesight so i cant see my hair thinning.
Appreciate 4
BayE301341.00
Poiseuille5362.00
      06-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Too much risk. If you go blind then nothing can be done to restore vision. Three people in my family have had it done. One sees random red dots. One has burning eyes at random. The other has dry eyes and needs to buy drops to keep them hydrated. May be it is just me as I wear the chief risk management hat in my clinical work but I would never recommend it. Besides some people have changing vision depending on their condition. One of my friends who had it done, did it to avoid glasses but as his vision has improved he struggles because the laser is like having a permanent set of strong lenses on so he cannot use computers for too long but driving is not an issue. Waste of money. We don't come with spare parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #20
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Has anyone had prelex (Presbyopic Lens Exchange) performed?
      06-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #21
larrylarry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

I had PRK done about three years ago and its been great. Uncle Sam did it for free and I went from 20/200 in both eyes to 20/10 and 20/15. Other than a little light sensitivity I haven't had any side effects.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #22
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry View Post
I had PRK done about three years ago and its been great. Uncle Sam did it for free and I went from 20/200 in both eyes to 20/10 and 20/15. Other than a little light sensitivity I haven't had any side effects.
I'm looking to have PRK done later this year. I have a bad astigmatism and can't do lasik. how painful/uncomfortable was the procedure and recovery.
Appreciate 0