XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-08-2018, 06:23 PM   #45
The Reverend
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i

I was absolutely shocked to hear about this. Anthony Bourdain was a punk rocker and I loved his shows, his books and just how cool he was. Extremely well spoken and had such a way with words that he could articulate a scene that made them seem almost ethereal.

This is a huge loss and I feel that the world lost a truly great man today. RIP Tony, I hope you are rocking out with Prince and Tom Petty.
Appreciate 9
Sea-Tac1453.00
ORIGIN M.3159.50
jgoens3787.50
F32Fleet3567.00
EdM54046.50
King Rudi13154.00
MojoRider103.50
wrickem2101.00
      06-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #46
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
big loss! luckily he produced a lot of stuff i have still yet to see
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      06-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #47
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
It really boggles my mind how ignorant some of you people are by saying they can't understand how he would do something like that to his kid. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! So shut up and say nothing. You're basically saying what an idiot and how dare him do something like that. Get over yourselves!!!
People express their feelings however best they can. There is no right or wrong way to do this.

Your childish interpretation that they are saying he was an idiot is just plain stupid. The only thing these people have to get over is YOU. If you don't like what they say suck it up and tough it out.
Appreciate 2
BEM-S44515.50
King Rudi13154.00
      06-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #48
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Quote:
It really boggles my mind how ignorant some of you people are by saying they can't understand how he would do something like that to his kid. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! So shut up and say nothing. You're basically saying what an idiot and how dare him do something like that. Get over yourselves!!!
People express their feelings however best they can. There is no right or wrong way to do this.

Your childish interpretation that they are saying he was an idiot is just plain stupid. The only thing these people have to get over is YOU. If you don't like what they say suck it up and tough it out.
It's also not a binary thing you're either perfectly well adjusted or fucked in the head. Ever single person who has some sort of issue has their own version of that issue. And aside from not processing info or emotion the same way everyone reacts to drugs and combinations of drugs differently, things quit working, etc. so getting all pissy and bitching about how someone tries to relate to your issue is childish nonsense.

Not_Judy for example whom I have never met in my life gave me a better explanation and description of personal issues than people I have known for years. You getting agitated for not understanding is the same as me telling someone who is depressed to snap the fuck out of it and expecting that to make any sense to them.
Appreciate 3
Sea-Tac1453.00
King Rudi13154.00
      06-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #49
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
It's also not a binary thing you're either perfectly well adjusted or fucked in the head. Ever single person who has some sort of issue has their own version of that issue. And aside from not processing info or emotion the same way everyone reacts to drugs and combinations of drugs differently, things quit working, etc. so getting all pissy and bitching about how someone tries to relate to your issue is childish nonsense.

Not_Judy for example whom I have never met in my life gave me a better explanation and description of personal issues than people I have known for years. You getting agitated for not understanding is the same as me telling someone who is depressed to snap the fuck out of it and expecting that to make any sense to them.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #50
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Quote:

"Just don't know how someone chooses to force their child to bury them"

How exactly is that a feeling and tell me what they were trying to say. Thanks dad.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #51
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Hearing this today hit me pretty hard as I’ve always watched his shows and laughed at his opinions of fake foodies.

I wonder if he was on depression meds and if so, we’re partially to blame. I hear those side affects on tv... the ones where the side affects get more ad time than the benefits.

Maybe it was a hit job. Trump, Weinstein, or Guy Fieri took him out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #52
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Absolutely spot on!

RIP ANTHONY BOURDAIN, YOU WILL BE MISSED BRO...!!

Quote:
Exactly. You don't know. You don't know a thing of what he was going through.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

We dont know what anyone is going thru.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
Sea-Tac1453.00
MojoRider103.50
      06-09-2018, 12:21 AM   #54
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
This thread is like a microcosm of peoples belief about mental health and the stigma associated with it in our country. In particular, depression/suicide and addiction.

We need to be embracing one another in a time like this and listen, FIRST, to those who struggle with depression and/or addiction to get a first hand account of what it's really like.

The social stigma we have with these two things (depression/suicide and addicition) is exacerbating both of the issues. I read each members post before I posted this one and I counted a number of responses that don't help the stigma by saying things like, "Just don't know how someone chooses to force their child to bury them." ((I'm sorry for singling your comment out as there were others who posted similar things, but I just wanted to add my two cents and to hopefully move the conversation along in a productive manner. Not directing anything towards you in particular, it was just a good example to make my post.))

I see where you're coming from, however, that's how a person who is not depressed thinks and not how a person who is depressed and has suicidal ideation thinks. This is where listening is literally the best thing people can do if you're one of the people who just do not understand how one could commit suicide especially leaving behind loved ones.

Do you think someone who is reading this thread right now who is struggling with depression in their own right (because I guarantee you there are tens, if not hundreds, of people who struggle with depression who has read or will read this thread) will now feel comfortable going forward to his family to tell them he is struggling with depression/suicide and ask for help? Probably not because he doesn't want his family or children thinking he's selfish and might choose to force them to bury him at some point.

I know that might sound absurd, but a depressed person already has enough reasons not to come forward, one of them being because they don't want their family to think it's their fault and blame themselves and another because social stigma is saying that if you're depressed, it just means you can't handle life and everyone has difficult situations so if you can't handle it then you're weak and depressed, etc.

Do you see how saying things like that don't do anything, but misguide others who might read your comment, which ultimately keeps the stigma alive and well, ultimately deviating from the progress people are trying to make to take away the stigma with mental health.

The ignorance we have towards mental health in this country is palpable and embracing one another, showing empathy for your fellow human being, and listening are the only things we should be doing right now.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 06-09-2018 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 8
Lups11824.50
King Rudi13154.00
dozaiya236.00
Sea-Tac1453.00
MojoRider103.50
CeeTeeX5936.00
      06-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #55
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
^ Very well said CLABRO, thank you.

This was devastating news for me. We've lost one of the greatest storytellers and cross-culture catalysts of our time. Obviously he was more appreciated by some than others. For me, his books and shows helped motivate me towards many of the things I've achieved in my life.
Appreciate 3
F32Fleet3567.00
King Rudi13154.00
Sea-Tac1453.00
      06-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #56
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Rather than reply to each one of the comments that I feel should be, I'll make a few generalized statements. None of us actually know what others are dealing with on a daily basis. I've made the reference to Chris Rock's "When you meet someone, you aren't meeting them; you are meeting their representative" comment before as this holds a considerable amount of weight. No one wants to be vulnerable to let everyone in so that the world can see their psyche as a raw exposed nerve as there are too many people out there who display narcissistic tendencies. Those who tend to try to make their candle shine brighter by blowing out someone else's. We are all guilty of this to some degree at some point in our lives until we recognize the damage that it does...some of us never open our eyes enough to actually see it as we are so consumed with our own lives. Arguing over each others points doesn't help, this is exactly my point. I have found it is better to be happy in life than to continually prove how right we are. Being right or arguing your point doesn't bring peace of mind.

As far as suicide rates increasing, I have done much research on this topic and they are, in fact, increasing. They are also another "flavor of the week" for the media as more influential people are committing suicide, therefore it is receiving more media coverage as well. Some factors of the decision of ending one's life can be attributed to mostly depression stemming from lost love, mental disorders, drug addiction/abuse but can also come from such things as living with a terminal illness and not wanting friends or loved ones to watch them suffer. Again, none of us know what any of the rest of us are dealing with and can make no judgments of anyone else's actions. You never know how you will act/react until you are in that situation yourself, then your mentality, perception and conditioning (what you have experienced in life) comes into play. Again, judging, arguing your point, telling someone to snap out of it or inability to relate/understand only serves as catalyst.

To those who suffer with depression, get help. I would recommend finding alternative options other than anti-depressants, they are very dangerous; I speak from experience. I no longer use, but marijuana helped me significantly. It allowed me to sleep and heightened my ability to enjoy life. Funny how a depressed person can take a few hits and their entire mindset is different within minutes. This is not a one size fits all type solution but it did help me until I no longer needed it. Marijuana advocation is completely different topic and I'll try to stay on topic.

To those who may read this, now or in the future, that are contemplating suicide; the only thing that I ask is for you to look around. As grim as life can be at times there are people that care about you. Life works in cycles as does the entire universe. Things may be dark but they will become light again, you just have to be patient. I typically do not like to share my experience on this subject but if it can help someone then it is worth my time to type it.

My father committed suicide at Christmas 4 years ago. He had a short bout with cancer and from what my sister and I were told, he had beat it and we were overjoyed; it had been very difficult prior two years for all of us. During this time, the "love of his life" began cheating on him as he was no longer able to perform due to the removal of the tumor. He sank into depression quickly. We all tried to help him. We spent whatever time we could with him, tried cheering him up, trying to get him involved in getting out of the house more, speaking with counselors, pastors, etc.....nothing helped. Chirstmas, we were supposed to go to his house and do the family thing.....he had other plans. My uncle arrived at his house first and found my father in his bed. Shortly after I receive the phone call. I saw the outcome, the mess on the wall, the floor, my father...the only parent I really had abusive or not, laying in his bed with half of his head missing. There was no note, no communication....nothing. To this day we still have no understanding as to why. It could have been that the cancer was not gone, it could have been because the depression of losing his love. We were never given closure. This was 4 years ago. I still have nightmares every single night. When I hear people make comments jokingly like "I want to shoot myself" or seeing someone shoot themselves in a movie, the last image of my father is the first thing that pops into my head; in fact I no longer remember how my father looked, I can only remember how he looked the last time I saw him. To touch on the point that was made earlier about none of us know what others are dealing with, I don't mention this image in my mind when people make those types of comments. People don't know what I've seen or how it affects me; but rather than try to explain and risk being labeled as one of those who are offended by everything, I keep my thoughts to myself. This is part of my frustration with today's society and everyone being offended by everything.

To those who are in a dark place, get help. It's out there, but you have to make the first move. Those that love you want to keep you in their lives.
1-800-273-8255

Last edited by King Rudi; 06-09-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 9
Sea-Tac1453.00
Lups11824.50
Mingwan1892.50
JasonCSU699.00
BSM n54iS2684.50
bd307927.00
      06-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #57
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I used to enjoy his shows too.

Something was definitely "off" about the guy. He seemed sort of crude, maybe the chain smoking was to escape something...
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1453.00
      06-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #58
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Rather than reply to each one of the comments that I feel should be, I'll make a few generalized statements. None of us actually know what others are dealing with on a daily basis. I've made the reference to Chris Rock's "When you meet someone, you aren't meeting them; you are meeting their representative" comment before as this holds a considerable amount of weight. No one wants to be vulnerable to let everyone in so that the world can see their psyche as a raw exposed nerve as there are too many people out there who display narcissistic tendencies. Those who tend to try to make their candle shine brighter by blowing out someone else's. We are all guilty of this to some degree at some point in our lives until we recognize the damage that it does...some of us never open our eyes enough to actually see it as we are so consumed with our own lives. Arguing over each others points doesn't help, this is exactly my point. I have found it is better to be happy in life than to continually prove how right we are. Being right or arguing your point doesn't bring peace of mind.

As far as suicide rates increasing, I have done much research on this topic and they are, in fact, increasing. They are also another "flavor of the week" for the media as more influential people are committing suicide, therefore it is receiving more media coverage as well. Some factors of the decision of ending one's life can be attributed to mostly depression stemming from lost love, mental disorders, drug addiction/abuse but can also come from such things as living with a terminal illness and not wanting friends or loved ones to watch them suffer. Again, none of us know what any of the rest of us are dealing with and can make no judgments of anyone else's actions. You never know how you will act/react until you are in that situation yourself, then your mentality, perception and conditioning (what you have experienced in life) comes into play. Again, judging, arguing your point, telling someone to snap out of it or inability to relate/understand only serves as catalyst.

To those who suffer with depression, get help. I would recommend finding alternative options other than anti-depressants, they are very dangerous; I speak from experience. I no longer use, but marijuana helped me significantly. It allowed me to sleep and heightened my ability to enjoy life. Funny how a depressed person can take a few hits and their entire mindset is different within minutes. This is not a one size fits all type solution but it did help me until I no longer needed it. Marijuana advocation is completely different topic and I'll try to stay on topic.

To those who may read this, now or in the future, that are contemplating suicide; the only thing that I ask is for you to look around. As grim as life can be at times there are people that care about you. Life works in cycles as does the entire universe. Things may be dark but they will become light again, you just have to be patient. I typically do not like to share my experience on this subject but if it can help someone then it is worth my time to type it.

My father committed suicide at Christmas 4 years ago. He had a short bout with cancer and from what my sister and I were told, he had beat it and we were overjoyed; it had been very difficult prior two years for all of us. During this time, the "love of his life" began cheating on him as he was no longer able to perform due to the removal of the tumor. He sank into depression quickly. We all tried to help him. We spent whatever time we could with him, tried cheering him up, trying to get him involved in getting out of the house more, speaking with counselors, pastors, etc.....nothing helped. Chirstmas, we were supposed to go to his house and do the family thing.....he had other plans. My uncle arrived at his house first and found my father in his bed. Shortly after I receive the phone call. I saw the outcome, the mess on the wall, the floor, my father...the only parent I really had abusive or not, laying in his bed with half of his head missing. There was no note, no communication....nothing. To this day we still have no understanding as to why. It could have been that the cancer was not gone, it could have been because the depression of losing his love. We were never given closure. This was 4 years ago. I still have nightmares every single night. When I hear people make comments jokingly like "I want to shoot myself" or seeing someone shoot themselves in a movie, the last image of my father is the first thing that pops into my head; in fact I no longer remember how my father looked, I can only remember how he looked the last time I saw him. To touch on the point that was made earlier about none of us know what others are dealing with, I don't mention this image in my mind when people make those types of comments. People don't know what I've seen or how it affects me; but rather than try to explain and risk being labeled as one of those who are offended by everything, I keep my thoughts to myself. This is part of my frustration with today's society and everyone being offended by everything.

To those who are in a dark place, get help. It's out there, but you have to make the first move. Those that love you want to keep you in their lives.
1-800-273-8255
I'm so sorry Jody.

I could share what my cousin did and the impact his action had to his family (which is why I called a suicide a selfish act) but I truly think you've said it all already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Sea-Tac1453.00
      06-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #59
grancouper428
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe

It's sad that I'm not shocked. RIP
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #60
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I'm so sorry Jody.

I could share what my cousin did and the impact his action had to his family (which is why I called a suicide a selfish act) but I truly think you've said it all already.
Thank you dear. It's all just part of life. Just trying to help others if possible.
Appreciate 3
Lups11824.50
Sea-Tac1453.00
MojoRider103.50
      06-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #61
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

1-800-273-8255
Thank You, Not_Judy, for this post.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
Lups11824.50
Mingwan1892.50
      06-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #62
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:

1-800-273-8255
Thank you for sharing your story. I bolded a part from your post that I think is important and worth noting again. Knowing that life and depression has its highs and lows is imperative because you can start to mentally prepare for the lows to try and help you when times get tough and knowing that this low point you're in will end is sometimes the only piece of hope that allows you to get through it.

I do believe your post will help someone, whether it's someone struggling with depression or even others who don't understand depression will hopefully read your post and gain a new sense of perspective regarding the topic.

Thank you, again, and heres to good health

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
Sea-Tac1453.00
      06-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #63
MojoRider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
No, just more news telling us about it
I dont imagine you're a fan of statistics.
      06-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #64
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
During my career I was involved in investigating so many suicides, they are tragic. Folks have a tendency to try to rationalize someone taking their own life. Its always way more complicated than whats on the face of it. Someone who suicides over a break up for example......it's much more than the breakup.

The one thing for sure is the loss and confusion for those left behind.
My son-in-law did it and left 3 kids behind in diapers...tragic but we all grew a lot closer.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #65
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Damn. I was just watching Gordon Ramsay and somehow started watching Anthony Bourdain the other day without realizing he passed. RIP.

I was going through some videos covering his suicide and noticed a lot of hate towards him. A lot of comments saying, “hope he burns in hell, that piece of shit,” or something to that effect. Was he a bad guy or something? Many comments are claiming he was. Pretty shitty way to troll.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      06-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #66
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Damn. I was just watching Gordon Ramsay and somehow started watching Anthony Bourdain the other day without realizing he passed. RIP.

I was going through some videos covering his suicide and noticed a lot of hate towards him. A lot of comments saying, “hope he burns in hell, that piece of shit,” or something to that effect. Was he a bad guy or something? Many comments are claiming he was. Pretty shitty way to troll.
Pretty sad when people will verbally attack someone who is deceased. I never heard of anyone having anything but positive things to say about the guy.
Appreciate 0