Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Lumbar support

Hello all,

Curious what opinions are on Lumbar Support. Is it worth it? I alway prefer the Sport seats to the regular ones. Is lumbar support added to sport seats even better or do you end up usually just putting it to the same position that the fixed pads probably come in on the Sport Seats anyway?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Hello all,

Curious what opinions are on Lumbar Support. Is it worth it? I alway prefer the Sport seats to the regular ones. Is lumbar support added to sport seats even better or do you end up usually just putting it to the same position that the fixed pads probably come in on the Sport Seats anyway?
Lumbar Support is not available as an option for X1 in Canada and in order to get it you have to go with Convenience package( + $1900).
      11-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

I have sport seats and lumbar support - highly recommended as its not overly expensive. Options are both up and down and in and out (it's an inflatable bladder) - don't change mine much once set but I know it's there.

Recommended.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB1873 View Post
I have sport seats and lumbar support - highly recommended as its not overly expensive. Options are both up and down and in and out (it's an inflatable bladder) - don't change mine much once set but I know it's there.

Recommended.
I agree, don't change it much but on long journeys it's great for changing the pressure points. I also tend to move it inwards for more "spirited" driving
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

thanks for the info guys!

I am a tall guy (6 foot - 4). I find that the Sport seats in my E90 are great but I can't get a perfect driving position. I have to have the back rest tilted further back to get enough lower back support but then I feel like it would be good if either the shoulder support on the seats could come forward (like comfort seats do in the 5) or that maybe having the Lumbar support allow me to move the back forward while not losing the lower back support (I don't have Lumbar support currently).

The other thing I thought was that having an X1 or X3 would allow me to sit much more upright than the E90. Then I wonder if I would really miss the lumbar support once more upright if I didn't order it.

I know I need to go test them out but am still curious on owners longer-term exepriences.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I know I need to go test them out but am still curious on owners longer-term exepriences.
Yeah, you need to test it out yourself as seating is a very personal thing. I find that the once you pick the lumbar support you like, then you just leave it.

Seat memory is good 'tho as the two drivers have their own settings loaded when the door opens.
      11-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
thanks for the info guys!

I am a tall guy (6 foot - 4). I find that the Sport seats in my E90 are great but I can't get a perfect driving position. I have to have the back rest tilted further back to get enough lower back support but then I feel like it would be good if either the shoulder support on the seats could come forward (....)
Hi epiphone,

I really recomend you go for the sport seats with all the comfort extras. I got my X1 with standard seats cos I thougth they were ok, and frankly, it's the one thing I hate about this car. It's been a year I've been struggling to find a correct position, and I came to the conclusion that these seats just aren't for me: too much lower back support, too little shoulder support and the headrest too much to the front.

Last edited by nathan35; 11-10-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0