XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Any one here have their X1 equipped with the option 614 (Internet)?

Just wanted to check how the user experience is with youse those who have this added on their X1s.. I thought it would be cool to be able to do quick browse of internet in the car itself while stationary but it's absolutely useless. I tried iPhone, Android but it takes around 5 minutes or so to load one page and sometimes it doesn't even load

So, wondering if it's just me or this is how it is. Also, would there ever be any updates coming from BMW for this sort of thing to improve user experience? Thanks..

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Tayrevey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e84

I have this option as well. in my experience it has taken 2-3 minutes to load any page, iirc this is because our cars have an antiquated 2G data connection (like the original iPhone in 2007 that took forever to load webpages)

That is why many new cars (chevy, AUDI, etc.) have adopted 3g/4g data connections so that the can quickly use online services like google maps in real time. Because that is a matter of the actual antennae in our cars, i doubt BMW would be able to speed it up with a software update
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
cooombs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevakun View Post
I have this option as well. in my experience it has taken 2-3 minutes to load any page, iirc this is because our cars have an antiquated 2G data connection (like the original iPhone in 2007 that took forever to load webpages)

That is why many new cars (chevy, AUDI, etc.) have adopted 3g/4g data connections so that the can quickly use online services like google maps in real time. Because that is a matter of the actual antennae in our cars, i doubt BMW would be able to speed it up with a software update

Really?? I can't believe BMW would sell that with a 2G connection. In today's day and age you pretty much have to be 4G/LTE, with 3G at the worst and even that would feel very slow. Otherwise whose going to use that??
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:

But my car doesn't even have any 2G built in SIM. It just has the standard antenna if that is 2G antenna you are referring to . It uses my mobile phone's mobile data connection shared through Bluetooth connection. So, I don't think car's antenna is doing anything here. Maybe the Bluetooth on the car makes the difference and I guess this can be updated to support better connection?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Tayrevey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
But my car doesn't even have any 2G built in SIM. It just has the standard antenna if that is 2G antenna you are referring to . It uses my mobile phone's mobile data connection shared through Bluetooth connection. So, I don't think car's antenna is doing anything here. Maybe the Bluetooth on the car makes the difference and I guess this can be updated to support better connection?
Well, my car can access BMW's online services with no bluetooth phone paired.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...formation.html

the first paragraph mentions the built in SIM card.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 12:41 AM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Well, my car can access BMW's online services with no bluetooth phone paired.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...formation.html

the first paragraph mentions the built in SIM card.
Oh ok.. I thought this Internet option was only for those X1 from where the inbuilt SIM and all those BMW online services are stripped off like the one I have - "AU version". Even the spec says "data transmission via customer mobile phone internet connection" under the option. So, I think the browser rendering capabilities/techniques are also the other factors making it sooo slow or may be how the data connections sharing works through bluetooth connection with the car?

Either way I was/am hoping BMW would do something about this Internet option esp. on it's slow department.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0