Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #67
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Probably important to state which 3er you're talking about when discussing rear seat room. Since the X1 is based on the E91 and has the same wheelbase, it's nearly identical in rear leg room to my buddy's E91. It is however less spacious than the F31, but most noticeably in width, not length.

I also find it interesting how some people find the back seat cramped. I'm 6'2" and can sit behind myself, it's not somewhere I'd want to be for six plus hours, but behind my 5'3" wife, it might as well be an S Class.
You must have tiny legs. I am the same height as you and a 4 year old couldn't sit behind me. Also I couldn't sit behind my wife who is 5' 8.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #68
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

33" inseam, I ride a 58.5cm road bike. Couple of knee surgeries too from twenty years of soccer, so I'm not all that limber. I've flown enough and taken a lot of trains, so I'm comfortable just about anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #69
salzo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

36 inch inseam, I ride a 64cm road bike. Big oaf so not all that limber. Lots of flying. I fit great in the front seats - I can tolerate the back with my wife (5'7") driving. And yes, I can sit behind myself too. It's not great but it's possible!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #70
MightyX1
Rep
Drives: 2013 sDrive 28i xLine

The long and short is YES - would buy again. Nice mix of comfort, driving dynamics, quick, fuel efficient and typical solid German build - doors close with a nice solid feel, switchgear is top-drawer ... definitely my favorite car since my '08 GTI.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #71
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
33" inseam, I ride a 58.5cm road bike. Couple of knee surgeries too from twenty years of soccer, so I'm not all that limber. I've flown enough and taken a lot of trains, so I'm comfortable just about anywhere.
You must drive with your knees bent all up. Otherwise it isn't possible what you are stating. I have flown enough too but I try to get exit row seats. Either that or I get up every hour and walk around.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #72
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Can you tall guys see the instruments? I'm 5'7"ish, and the steering wheel is at the top of its travel, my view seems just about perfect, but if I was 6' I would not be able to seem much I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #73
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

With the seat all the way down and the wheel pretty low, I can see all but the top cm or so of the instruments. It's certainly a little pinched.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #74
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInCND View Post
Can you tall guys see the instruments? I'm 5'7"ish, and the steering wheel is at the top of its travel, my view seems just about perfect, but if I was 6' I would not be able to seem much I think.
I can't see the instruments very well, but I'm long torso'd and 6-2. I'm also fused from C2-T2, so not very limber.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #75
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Perhaps it's my seating position. I drove sports cars most of my life, so I tend to be comfortable sitting further back and with the seat a bit reclined. So it would be cruel punishment to force anyone but a small child to sit behind me.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #76
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

It is funny how people got confused saying it's a $50K car. It is not! It's a $30K car, entry level, not luxury at all. Options don't make the car exclusive. Before the 320i F30 it was the cheapest car in US. Yes, cheaper than 128i. Some people confused it for an SUV. It is not. It is higher wagon, with higher roof, has the e90 interior space.

I wouldn't buy another X1 because the one I have is the last rear wheel drive and I'm willing to keep it forever. I'm sticking with BMW (third one at the moment) because the ease of diagnostic, widely available software and repair manuals, highly customizable. To not forget the free maintenance during the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #77
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
It is funny how people got confused saying it's a $50K car. It is not! It's a $30K car, entry level, not luxury at all. Options don't make the car exclusive. Before the 320i F30 it was the cheapest car in US. Yes, cheaper than 128i. Some people confused it for an SUV. It is not. It is higher wagon, with higher roof, has the e90 interior space.

I wouldn't buy another X1 because the one I have is the last rear wheel drive and I'm willing to keep it forever. I'm sticking with BMW (third one at the moment) because the ease of diagnostic, widely available software and repair manuals, highly customizable. To not forget the free maintenance during the warranty period.
Your point about this being the last RWD X1 is well considered. To my knowledge this is the only compact SUV available with RWD and for me it was a significant selling point. The X1 in its current iteration is the only game in town.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #78
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

The X5 and Grand Cherokee also come in rwd. Also worth noting that the F31 will be available with rwd too soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #79
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Quote:
The X5 and Grand Cherokee also come in rwd. Also worth noting that the F31 will be available with rwd too soon.
I believe X5 doesn't have the dynamic and efficiency of a small BMW car. X3 also has RWD, but again it is not a small car.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #80
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
I believe X5 doesn't have the dynamic and efficiency of a small BMW car. X3 also has RWD, but again it is not a small car.
I don't get your point. There are tons of small cars that are rear wheel drive. I really have no clue as to why you would buy a non m version of the X1 in rear wheel drive. Why take the handling hit of being high off the ground without gaining any benefit?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #81
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

If you want a small hatchback/wagon/cuv with some luxury and sportiness, there is not a whole lot of competition out there. Some are smaller and some are bigger than what I want. Until they make a Golf R Sportwagon, the X1 fits the bill for me quite nicely. Too bad the X1 doesn't have a manual tranny Stateside--that would make it nearly a perfect match for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #82
forteatwo
Private
Rep

It is true that having a high center of gravity reduces the handling performance of any car. But there are still benefits imparted to handling that RWD provides ie improved gas mileage over AWD, better steering in icy conditions, 50/50 wt ratio etc. Because I live in a snowy climate I need the clearance for winter driving. I am not aware of any other small SUVs with RWD other than the X3. I drove the X3 and liked the X1 better for various reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #83
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by forteatwo View Post
better steering in icy conditions
I don't think so! You basically have 2 skates in the front pushed from the rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #84
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forteatwo View Post
It is true that having a high center of gravity reduces the handling performance of any car. But there are still benefits imparted to handling that RWD provides ie improved gas mileage over AWD, better steering in icy conditions, 50/50 wt ratio etc. Because I live in a snowy climate I need the clearance for winter driving. I am not aware of any other small SUVs with RWD other than the X3. I drove the X3 and liked the X1 better for various reasons.
But if you drive in snowy conditions you would want the 4 wheel drive. There is a reason most SUVs come in 4 wheel drive as people want to use them off road or in the snow. There are other rear wheel drive ones. For example Infiniti QX 50 and Mercedes GLK.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #85
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

Hey everyone. I'm new to xbimmers. I have had my X1 s28i since October last year and I look forward to driving it every chance I get. I would definitely buy another X1 if given the opportunity.

As for the choice between the s28 and the x35i, I am really happy with my choice of getting the s28. For one thing, the weight distribution being nearly 50/50 makes the car a blast to drive. I love how the x1 is built on the old 3 series frame. I test drove an x3 and the driving dynamics are night and day. The x3 feels like a clunky suv while the x1 drives like a sports car.

The only thing I wish was better on the car would be the initial throttle response from stops. I had the dealership update the computer to make it stay at the last setting to keep A.S.S. off. Even with the auto shut off disabled, the car seems to have a delay between pressing the throttle and accelerating from a stop. I heard that the new 4 series s28 doesn't have this issue, so I am hopeful that a software update may fix this problem.

I also wish there were more options regarding performance upgrades, but I have read that increasing the boost any more could put the engine at risk as BMW found the engines to fail at around 330lb torque due to overheating.

The 35i has more room to increase boost because it isn't running as high of boost as the 28i.

If I could get another x1 and had the option of the 35i paired with the 8 speed or a manual transmission, that would be my choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #86
forteatwo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I don't think so! You basically have 2 skates in the front pushed from the rear.
There is no argument here that FWD or AWD is better than RWD in winter. I concede that fully. However, if your wheels are spinning and it is icy, RWD will still steer (perhaps marginally), FWD will not.

Having lived all my life in a cold wintery climate I have found the two things that make snowy and icy driving tolerable are aggressive snow tires (for braking and better grip cornering) and clearance. In deep snow AWD is marginally advantageous over RWD if you are hung up. Neither will get you out so to speak.

Given the choice of RWD and aggressive snow tires and AWD and 4 season tires I would opt for the former because braking and skid control are better...period. AWD gives you big benefits for acceleration in icy conditions but if it is safety and accident avoidance you are concerned about braking and control cornering are the big issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #87
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I live in a very hilly area, and without AWD I don't get up hills when there is snow on the ground. Even FWD doesn't do very good. When on a hill in slippery conditions, you have a much greater of a chance of getting stuck in RWD/FWD as you do in AWD. It's just a numbers game, and you have twice as many wheels with power.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #88
mrdome
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i Xdrive

We've only had the X1 two weeks. But so far my wife and both really enjoy driving it. We downsized from three vehicles to two. We sold our Mercedes SLK350 And a Mitsubishi Montero (kept my Nissan pickup for utility). Both had been great vehicles. The X1 is sort of a combination of both the sports car and the utility and better suits our needs.
Appreciate 0