Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
UltimateDrive3487
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

x1 snow chains

hello,

any recommendations on what type of chains i should purchase?

Do i need to look at any special requirements regarding them.

Thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Ulti', why on earth would you even consider chains? While they are effective, they are also one of life's truly epic PITA, with all sorts of potential for mischief; anything from getting wrapped around the axle to flailing and tearing up the bodywork. Even putting them on will lead you to saying many unChristian things.
If you want to get around in the snow, get online to the Tire Rack and order yourself a set of Blizzaks on rims. If it gets too bad to get around with those, take a hint and stay home.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Ulti', why on earth would you even consider chains? While they are effective, they are also one of life's truly epic PITA, with all sorts of potential for mischief; anything from getting wrapped around the axle to flailing and tearing up the bodywork. Even putting them on will lead you to saying many unChristian things.
If you want to get around in the snow, get online to the Tire Rack and order yourself a set of Blizzaks on rims. If it gets too bad to get around with those, take a hint and stay home.
Moon
X2.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

In some country's (between certain date's or certain parts...) you must use (or have them with you) them by law.
If it isn't a holiday question then the other answers apply, good winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

The OP is in San Francisco. You don't need snow tires there probably, well, ever.

But if OP is going to Yosemite for example, then he is required to have chains November-March. And there are times chains are required there even if you have snow tires.

I'm near Los Angeles and have to get chains shortly because I'm heading up to Yosemite later this month. Odds are I won't need them but there are rather heavy fines (up to $5,000) if I don't bring them along and get caught without them.

So that is why some of us are considering chains. They are required by law and other than vacations we won't ever use them.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

I fail to see the logic of the regs, but that isn't something new.
Back to the chains; do I recall some non-metallic ones that were to answer some of the problems with traditional chains?
I have vivid memories of chains on rear drive cars in my childhood, and none of them were especially positive.
Tirpitz, back to the regs for a moment; does it make any difference what type of vehicle we're talking about, or how many wheels are driven? Have these regs been around for awhile? There is an old fashioned sound to them.
I see the issue with occasional use of winter tires, but if regular trips to snow country are part of the program, it may be a bargain that needs to be made.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I've driven the coke highway in British Columbia in heavy snow fall and never felt add if I needed chains. Sounds like a dumb old-fashioned law to me.

Would you still get a fine if you had then in the back and not on the tires? If you would, go buy any set because you sure won't need chains, ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

it looks there are three stages to the law in CA depending on conditions.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

We have lots of silly laws in California. These probably have been on the books for decades.

I suspect the laws stay there because the vast majority of Californians never drive in the snow. When they go skiing or up to Tahoe forcing them to carry chains gives them a fighting chance of getting out if/when it snows. In many places like I-5 over the Grapevine the default mode of CHP is to just close the road if there is any ice and snow. I bet people who reside in the mountains probably do go with snow tires.

In all my almost 30 years of driving in California I've only had two occasions where chains might have been required. One was a winter storm at Lake Tahoe. I was driving a Honda del Sol at the time and rather than deal with Highway 50 or Highway 89 I drove down the Nevada side and over to I-80 which was plowed and had no chain requirements.

The other was coming back from Vegas in a winter storm. Coming up the high after the state line it started to snow. I was in a big RWD pickup truck with several hundred pounds of equipment in the bed holding my wheels down. I was driving past semis spinning their wheels and saw several cars that had gone over the side into the ditches on the road sides. CHP closed the road about 5 minutes after I headed up. That was a pretty scary bit of driving. I had chains in the truck but I didn't want to have to find them under all the stuff in the back and then put them on. But it did mean I wouldn't be stuck on the hill if it had come to that.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, a lot of that confirms what I suspected in terms of outdated regs.
punch', thanks for the specifics; they are making a distinction about the number of driven axles. Wonder how they classify all season tires? I'd love to have a discussion involving my Rubicon Jeep with big cobby tires and locking axles (which work on high range in mine); if it ain't getting thru', ain't nothing getting thru'.
Tirpitz, I haven't had a vehicle that wasn't AWD/4WD or had the engine over the driven wheels since J. Edgar Opel in 1971, and that thing could get stuck on 9 snowflakes, even with winters on the driven axle. I recall those days with trepidation; you were fortunate to have extra weight over the driven wheels in your pickup. My bride, before she was my bride, had a RWD Ford that was utterly hopeless; I introduced her to an AWD VW Passat, and there's no going back.
Back to my other question; I recall seeing some sort of plastic chains that might well meet the letter of the law, cost less than $150, and should have less potential for vehicle damage if things go awry. Michelin and others make them, and they might solve the OP's problem, especially if he never has to use them.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #11
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

The fabric "chains" are called snow socks. They may not meet the definition of the laws regard having chains.

As for laws regarding chains - they make sense and are for those who do not run on either all season or snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
UltimateDrive3487
Private
Rep

Yes, I live in California, and Yes when I go to Tahoe it is REQUIRED BY LAW to carry chains.

Does anyone have any recommendations or not? That is simply all I am asking
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

The best chains for traction, ease of installation and use in a sedan or non-commercial vehicle are here:
http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-...6-tire-chains/

I have an unused set of these, size SZ 13 which I will sell cheap. They are new. If you go to the website they will show all the tire sizes they fit. They come in a nifty carrying case with instructions for installation.

I can send a photo if you send me your email, cannot seem to get an attachment to work here.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
UltimateDrive3487
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forteatwo View Post
The best chains for traction, ease of installation and use in a sedan or non-commercial vehicle are here:
http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-...6-tire-chains/

I have an unused set of these, size SZ 13 which I will sell cheap. They are new. If you go to the website they will show all the tire sizes they fit. They come in a nifty carrying case with instructions for installation.

I can send a photo if you send me your email, cannot seem to get an attachment to work here.
Thanks, email me here: mikesilvis at gmail dot com
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
bimmeric
Rep
Drives: sDrive 28i

If you have 17" rims with 225/50 tires, you can use SCC Super Z-6 sz137
http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-...tirechains/661

For 18" rims with 225/45 tires, SCC Super Z-6 sz139
http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-...tirechains/662

I have used the sz139 on my other vehicle (not on the X1 yet). They're low-profile, leaving a lot of clearance and did not hit any suspension parts. Also, they're relatively easy to install, compared to traditional chains.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #16
punchyninja
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i 2014

I've never had to use chains on an awd/4wd vehicle. do you have to put them on all four tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
bimmeric
Rep
Drives: sDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchyninja View Post
I've never had to use chains on an awd/4wd vehicle. do you have to put them on all four tires?
Good question. I have a real-time AWD vehicle (Honda), where it is FWD on normal condition, and the rear tires only engage when the system senses front slippage. So when I'm driving up the Honda to winter resorts here in SoCal, I put the chains in front tires. When I bring my X1 sDrive, I'll put chains in the rears because that's where traction is.

I've read in X3 forums that some owners put chains in the rear tires, so I guess that should apply to X1 xdrive as well.

In the case of symmetrical AWD like Subaru, not sure where to put chains though, or if 4 tires need to be on chains.

Last edited by bimmeric; 03-03-2014 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I wouldn't suggest putting chains on the steer axle
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:47 PM   #19
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I wouldn't suggest putting chains on the steer axle
Concur; I can picture clearance issues if nothing else...and God help you if they come loose.
Moon
Appreciate 0