XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #45
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Still, a PITA and lots a wasted time... Do they get you a courtesy Beemer at least while your ride is in for repair ?
      04-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #46
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT View Post
Clutch Judder is back, Just two weeks after it was in for repair! this time they have informed me they will change the duel mass flywheel and clutch plate and not just update the software
Bummer man... At least replacing those parts should help it now.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #47
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2 series 218i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Still, a PITA and lots a wasted time... Do they get you a courtesy Beemer at least while your ride is in for repair ?
Yes Gatekeeper they give you a lone car when it's in for repair, but it's usually a One series with NO fuel in it
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #48
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kres7787 View Post
Bummer man... At least replacing those parts should help it now.
Hi Kres
Heres hoping it will resolve the judder when the parts are replaced,
I think when it was in the last time they updated the software but they must have sprayed the clutch plate with some sort of cleaner because the judder was not present when I picked it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #49
miami.m
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 1.8 s drive

Just had my car back after the fitment of clutch number 4 and the installation of the latest software upgrade. Feels lovely (for now?!) and I hope they have finally fixed it. I know how Bill Murray felt though. Best bit is you get to test drive the entire BMW/ Mini range as courtesy cars. Latest was a 2.0 X1 Auto which went like stink and was loads more economical than the 1.8. Wish I had that parked in my drive....:-(
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #50
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami.m View Post
Just had my car back after the fitment of clutch number 4 and the installation of the latest software upgrade. Feels lovely (for now?!) and I hope they have finally fixed it. I know how Bill Murray felt though. Best bit is you get to test drive the entire BMW/ Mini range as courtesy cars. Latest was a 2.0 X1 Auto which went like stink and was loads more economical than the 1.8. Wish I had that parked in my drive....:-(
Hi Miami.m,

Do you have the 1.8d? Should be more economical than the 2.0d.

I assume it's the diesel as they don't sell the petrol models here so if it's heavier on the diesel than the 2.0d loan car you need to have it checked out.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #51
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Hmmm, mario I wouldn't actually be surprised if the 2.0d is more economical than the 1.8d. Remember the X1 is a heavy car (even the 2wds), and the 1.8d at 105kW has more work to do than the 130kW 2.0d when pulling off, even though as you said on paper the 1.8d should be more economical.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #52
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Hmmm, mario I wouldn't actually be surprised if the 2.0d is more economical than the 1.8d. Remember the X1 is a heavy car (even the 2wds), and the 1.8d at 105kW has more work to do than the 130kW 2.0d when pulling off, even though as you said on paper the 1.8d should be more economical.

Hi
Both the 1.8d and the 2.0d engines have the same cubic capacity, the 1.8d has a lower BHP which in turn should make it better on fuel. I have the 1.8d Xdrive six speed manual and have had it return 52.4 MPG.
Back to clutch judder my car went back in last week and had the duel mas flywheel and clutch plate replaced and the judder has gone, they informed me that a small amount of grease from the flywheel had got on to the clutch plate and thats what was causing the judder, I will keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. My car has now covered 3700 miles and I am delighted with it, long may it continue.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #53
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Glad you got that sorted William!

I just popped to forum to report that today I had a potential slight case of the judder. I was going reversed uphilll (not too steep) and I could feel that the car was a bit "jumpy". Very very slightly, but I obviously felt it. Of course the first thought that came to mind was the infamous clutch judder... It didn't happen so far until today.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #54
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

I just popped to forum to report that today I had a potential slight case of the judder. I was going reversed uphilll (not too steep) and I could feel that the car was a bit "jumpy". Very very slightly, but I obviously felt it. Of course the first thought that came to mind was the infamous clutch judder... It didn't happen so far until today.
I have had that in my Auto while reversing up a wet grassy hill. Had me confused for a while until I realised that it was in fact the summer tyres struggling for grip and the traction control kicking in. Remember there is a huge amount of torque available in reverse at low speed.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #55
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Yes I had the judder in reverse too, you will find if you have loaded up the car or have four people in it when trying picking away on a steep hill the Judder will show up if its there.
Sadly it will be by by from me as I have part exchanged my X1 now for a new and different make of car dew to be delivered in September.

And its an Automatic.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #56
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT View Post
Yes I had the judder in reverse too, you will find if you have loaded up the car or have four people in it when trying picking away on a steep hill the Judder will show up if its there.
Sadly it will be by by from me as I have part exchanged my X1 now for a new and different make of car dew to be delivered in September.

And its an Automatic.
Sorry to see you go WilliamT . What replacement did you go for?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #57
BillQuarter
Private
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Sorry to see you go WilliamT . What replacement did you go for?
Hi Mario
I will still look in and see what you are all up to, as for the replacement I have ordered the new Face lift Jaguar XF 2.2d SE which comes standard with an 8 speed auto box and servotronic steering, it ain't no four wheel drive but ha haw I will see how it turns out.
Cheers Bill
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #58
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

My x1 has being gone since Tuesday for them to check the clutch judder again, got a call to today to tell me they are replacing the clutch and the flywheel. Am not impressed as the car has only covered 28,000km's
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #59
basilhenry
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive 20d SE

Thumbs down X1 Clutch judder

I have a X1 20d and have been having clutch judder problems, never stalled a car as much as this. The car as only done 5k miles. My dealer did a reprogram, the clutch felt different but did not totally solver the problem, so they have now changed the Clutch and fly wheel, only done a few miles since so will keep you posted. I also find the gear change from 1st to 2nd is very "notchy" not at all smooth! does any one else have simular.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #60
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

Yet another update to this judder is coming back into mine back to Dealer again. they think they will have a full solution to this fully released around November in the mean time BMW want to replace the clutch again while I wait for solution
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #61
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

I had too a clutch judder on my s drive 18d after 3500 km My dealer change the fly wheel and the clutch
      09-24-2011, 02:53 AM   #62
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

My X1 is juddering now at 4000 miles... was faint at first but now very noticable esp in reverse with 2-3 passengers.. Is there a definative fix or a service bulletin to point my dealer at to save time?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 03:46 AM   #63
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

There is no fix there at the moment, from my information it won't be out until November. The steps I went though so far are 1. software upgrade 2. new clutch 3. new clutch and fly wheel 4. new clutch as an in-between until November when fix will be installed and clutch replaced again.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #64
hectorty
China
Rep
Drives: X1

hi Basilhenry,

I got the same problem here with my 1.8iSdrive automatic. I can actually feel the gear change from 1st to 2nd gear. My car is relatively new, only 550kms so far. Before I didn't feel this but lately on low speeds, it is becoming more obvious. I thought it was the quality of gasoline. I'm using a 97-octane. I will drive it for a while and will see if the conidition improves.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #65
babanghida
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 sdrive18d

Hi people,
my first post here. Sorry for my english, a bit rusted as I don't use it so much especially in writing. I'm a X1 sdrive18d driver with 65.000km on the clock in 14months. From the day one I felt that something's wrong with clutch. First I thought... I'll get use to it, it's a new car. Judder first appeared on steep uphill parts, then also on normal everyday driving with perfectly plain road . It was getting worse in stop and go city driving (I think it's related with heat, higher temperature arround clutch the problems are more pronounced).
After few attempts with new software, finally dealer decided to change the clutch @ 33.000km. It was fine for few weeks but then problem came back. Again they insisted on software remap as a part of warranty procedure, but nothing really changed. Finally after lot of insisting they ordered once again new clutch and new flyweel (63.000km). I saw the photos, clutch plate was full of scratch marks with slight change in colour (turned light blue). Also traces of black oil found on flywheel. After change overall feeling was much better (clutch pedal was kind a lighter to press), but at the end problems are back after just 2000km. Don't know what to do, it seems that we are dealing with problem without simple solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #66
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

We had decided to sell our X1 manual after only 8 weeks of ownership as the heavy clutch and judder was too much for my wife.

I have been looking at deals for an auto, as I do love the X1, and nearly went back to my third E91. However, decided that I would remove the Clutch Delay Valve before going any further.

So ordered a new one and this morning put it up on the ramp and swapped over the stock one with my new one with the flow restrictor knocked out.

OMG!!

What a difference it makes!!!

The clutch now feels nice an light, you can feel the bite point properly and you can even make the tyres chirp going into second, you are in control.
The judder is still there, but that valve really did invoke the judder. After a day in the car I got the judder twice, both times up hill, compared with every pull away, and even my wife said it was a transformation and is now happy to keep the car.
She had refused to drive it anymore, hence teh change.

You could easily do this on your drive with no ramps.

Undo the rear floor pan cover, 6 or 8 screws.
You will see the CDV.
Clamp it just before the valve towards front of car.
Undo the two slider clips.
Take out the old valve and then knock out the plastic ring inside it that resticts the flow.
Pop it back in.
Slide the retaining clips back into place.
Job done!

If you clamp the hose you will not need to bleed the system or add more fluid.

Took me around 20 minutes max.

Even if you don't have judder this is a must do mod.
Appreciate 0