Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

Strange whirring noise when doing 70-85mph

Hi everyone

Strange one for you. I have an X1 2.0 X-Drive with 18" Y-Spoke Alloy Wheels - Style 322 fitted with run flats . From day one when one the motorway driving at 70-85mph a whirring/droning noise starts. Above 85mph it either stops or is less apparrant.

My wife can hear it but it's not load to her but it very annoying to me. Is this a traite of run flats on larger wheels or could there be something else causing it?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Does that noise come around 2000 RPM?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Hi ya

Thanks for you reply. Yest it starts make the noise at 2,000 RPM.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
kumiorava
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: e84 X1 xDrive23d A X-Line 2010

Garage List
2008 e91 330xi  [0.00]
Hi!

Is the noise coming from the tires or somewhere else?

I just bought a X1 Xdrive23d and have 225/45/18 Potenza RE050A non-runflat tires all round. I also got Eibach -30mm lowering spring kit installed.

When I first entered the highway I noticed a whirring/whistling sound coming from the front end both sides. it was really hard to tell where it came from.

I found out it was the air conditioning/the manually adjustable air flow vents that made the noise, in other words, when I tried different positions from min to max in air flow into the cabin, the noise went away occasionally.

Now when I drive the car I haven't noticed the noise anymore. Strange thing but I am happy at least now!
      07-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumiorava View Post
Hi!
When I first entered the highway I noticed a whirring/whistling sound coming from the front end both sides. it was really hard to tell where it came from.

I found out it was the air conditioning/the manually adjustable air flow vents that made the noise, in other words, when I tried different positions from min to max in air flow into the cabin, the noise went away occasionally.

Now when I drive the car I haven't noticed the noise anymore. Strange thing but I am happy at least now!
I'm getting the exact same "whistling" noise!
(I couldn't test it very much, because it only happens at around/above 180Km/h - not a very legal speed.)

However, it seems to happen everytime I go to that speeds.
I too suspected it's the air pressure in the airways making something vibrate in high pitch; all I tried was turning off the AC (I always have it in AUTO mode) but the whistling continued.

I'll try it again, going from min to max A/C... but this is definitely something we cannot accept from BMW. Don't they even try it any more? Airflow problems in this day and age, in a 204cv car (23d)? Very very annoying!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
deepseablue
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Hi niknik, i don't think your whistling noise is the same as beeker's.
I had driven dealer's test X1 to 180km/h on super highway and heard a whistling noise just like you said. I asked dealer's salesman about the noise, he told me the front windscreen of test car was ever broken and not fixed well, that's the cause. I haven't chance to drive that fast since i've gotten my X1, i will take notice of my X1 when have chance to drive that speed next time.
About whirring beeker mentioned about, is that possible coming from action of turbocharge?

Last edited by deepseablue; 07-07-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: faulty type
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Yes, not the same of Beeker, but exactly the same as kumiorava.
I don't want to think it might be the front windshield - that would really make me pissed off - but although it is very hard to determine where it's from, it indeed sounds like it is some air pressure issue making something vibrate/ressonate.
I just hope it is something in the air ducts.
Not that I plan on doing those speeds a lot, but if/when I need to I don't want to have my car "whistling"...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #8
deepseablue
Registered
Rep

ha.. i don't want my x1 has the speeding alarm either
i guess the salesman hid somthing about the moise, he worried about my canceling order so trumped up the windscreen story.
we might need more samples from x1 owners, then feedback to bmw for solution...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
silber1
Rep
Drives: x1

Hi,
I just got my new X1 25i and my wife also heard this high whissles. I will look for it closer!
Gerhard from Germany
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Hi again beeker,

Mine is a strange whirring noise that comes around 2000 rpm regardless of speed. That happens mostly when the engine overloads. I have it checked at the service and they said it is completely natural, the sound is the air suction noise of turbo manifold.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #11
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Hi everyone

It's just a very annoying sound. I had a 2.0d SE E90 pervious to this one and maybe that did the same thing but was less apparent because I think the cabin is better sound proofed than in the X1.

My initial thought was it the tyres, as it sounds like it's coming for the far left and right hand sides.

I can't say I'm noticed a whistling noise in mine, thank goodness, just this droaning noise. I can't describe it any better than that. It a deep bassy noise that goes loud, quiet, loud, quiet.

I like to come on here and ask questions first because I find BMW dealerships are all to keen to dismiss things as normal.

Thanks for al your input guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Kres7787
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sD 18d JB

Some of the noise is related to big side mirrors, and engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
cheviot
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 xDrive 18d SE

I have a X1 xDrive 18D SE with 1000miles plus and have experianced the what I would call wind whistle at 120Kmph 75mph. It appears to be around the centre air vents, but closing these or opening them makes no differance. What does make a differnace is if a front window is partially opened, close the window and the noise come back. It certainly appears to be a resonace at a give speed relevant to the air density, however if its wet it does not give that wind whistle noise. Quite a problem, but with my engineering background I will track this down, it may take some time.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheviot View Post
I have a X1 xDrive 18D SE with 1000miles plus and have experianced the what I would call wind whistle at 120Kmph 75mph. It appears to be around the centre air vents, but closing these or opening them makes no differance. What does make a differnace is if a front window is partially opened, close the window and the noise come back. It certainly appears to be a resonace at a give speed relevant to the air density, however if its wet it does not give that wind whistle noise. Quite a problem, but with my engineering background I will track this down, it may take some time.
Happening at those speeds sure make it a lot easier to track down than my case at 180Kmh+...

A friend of mine suggested it might have to do with the doors/panoramic roof isolation rubbers; and they have some "sprays" at the service centers that take care of that.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Today I pushed it a bit to try and figure it out, and it doesn't seem to be the door/roof isolation rubbers at all.

The sound definitely seems to be coming from the front/center... I really hope it's not the windshield!

Opening the side windows does seem to affect and stop the noise (though it's hard to really tell for sure, as the wind rushing at those speeds is pretty loud.

Also, on unpaved bumpy roads, there seems to be a very similar "rattle" coming from the same area... which I suspect might be the same thing causing the noise at those high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
jimr
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 23d

Smile Solution - I hope !!

I have a new X1 xdrive 23d with the same problem. My local BMW dealer told me today that there is an official BMW fix that involves resealing the bottom of the windscreen with a special tape and bonding agent. Two days needed, including an overnight in the workshop to make sure the bonding seals correctly.

My car is going in on July 27th - I will let you know if it works !!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #17
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Damn, there goes any chance of being a simple fix...
I just hope they fix it right once and for all. It's unacceptable to have this (or any other, btw) kind of flaw in such an expensive car.

I'll be calling my dealer to find if they have heard of this procedure.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

I just remembered. I also had a similar recall that jimr mentioned. It was also related with the windscreen cornerings. I hadn't heard any noises, service advisor told me that there was a recall on my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Yep, called my dealer today; they too were informed of this issue. They're now scheduling to fix my car - hope they get it right!
I'm also getting some "vibration" noise coming from the driver door, annoying as well, as it seems to go "right into the ear". Hope they'll fix that too.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
deepseablue
Registered
Rep

Hi Niknik, i also have the vibration noise from driver door. if fix done, would you please share us how your dealer solves it? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #21
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

@niknik @deepseablue I was also having the same noise problem from the front doors. It has a simple fix. They're just unmounting the inside door panels and tightening 2 nuts, 30 minutes of work. That's all
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #22
beeker
Private First Class
Rep

Hi ya

I contact my dealership and they weren't aware of any fix's or recalls out for the X1. Although they use the word compaign rather than recall!

Thankfully I haven't got the whistling noise just this other noise. They think it's tyre related but want to bring the car in to pinpoint the problem.
Appreciate 0