XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

35i aftermarket exhaust, install attempt...

I bought a Corsa exhaust rear section designed for a 135 and just tried to install on a X1 35i.... figured i'd pass along some feedback on the issues and ultimate failure.

Corsa part #14564, good picture and movie link here:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...t-systems.aspx

First off, I knew it wouldn't just bolt up on the first try and thought my local exhaust shop could make it fit. Here is where we saw the fit issues and it is no issue with the Corsa exhaust, it is just made to fit the 135.

- The 2 bolt flange didn't fit well on the stock mid pipe exhaust gasket.
- The X1 35i has a rear cross brace support and there is a large triangular shaped black mounting point, this creates space issues with the exhaust pipe and routing as the muffler section cant be mounted high enough or close enough to the underside of the the car. The cross brace seemed to clear fine, but the large bracket was in a bad spot and takes up a lot of space.
- The exhaust hanger points do match up with stock, but the exhaust tips are about 2 inches away from where they need to be to exit the rear valance/diffuser. If the hangers were bent or reconfigured the tips could stick out the rear diffuser, but then you have 2 inches to make up in the pipework.

Some of these items could be modified and things forced to work, but the shop nor I felt like a day's worth of cutting/twisting/tweaking was worth the effort of costs. The x-brace support seemed to be the big hurdle to make the Corsa muffler fit properly. It's a shame since the Corsa system looks great and from all the hype with their zero drone muffler design, I wanted to have this system installed. We did start the car with no muffler and it does sound good under revs, but too aggressive for me as a daily driver and detracts from the "sleeper" fun factor.

This is my daily driver so I wanted to keep a muffler section and don't want the drone of the straight pipe setup, nor the "cold start" loud exhaust. I run catless downpipe right now and will either run the N55 catless midpipes - #18307599743 or try an aftermarket set, like Agency Power, MadDad, Berk.

So for now, I'll stick to stock muffler and eliminate the mid cats and see if that gives me a slightly more aggressive sound and increased exhaust flow.

Again, I just wanted to pass along feedback on the fitment of a 135 designed system onto our X1 chassis to answer questions that have floated around the forum and in my head for a long time! Sorry that I didn't take any pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you for doing this, you helped answer questions for a lot of people!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
28i is the same issues. After suspension and brakes this year, if I have any time left, I'll look into buying some tubing and welding something up that fits.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to add that I just tried to install Berk resonated mid pipes on the N55 X1 and they don't fit. They are designed for N54 and N55 BMW 135.
I wanted to run these midpipes to remove the secondary cats. The Berk were overall about 3 inches short and the bends were not in the right places and our X1 must have a slightly narrower exhaust path than the 135. I actually thought that they would have been a much closer fit and my exhaust shop could modify to fit, but there was no chance.
Only option as I see it is to run a Y pipe off the downpipe (I have a catless AR downpipe) to bring it back as a 2 into 1 setup. A 3 or 3.5 inch single pipe. Maybe an inline muffler midsection and then straight pipe all the way back, into a true dual exhaust, quad tip.
just letting everyone know... downpipe for N55 fit, but not midpipe or cat back muffler.

Last edited by mwtrogus; 01-29-2015 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Drlu23
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x28i; 328iX; X5 35i

Thanks for the great feedback and the time you spent looking into this mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
JDMCIVIC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Has anyone thought about adapting the new 2016 X1 exhaust system to the 1st gen X1? I was looking at pics and it appears the 2016 models have a dual exhaust system. I was also looking into exhaust systems for the 1M, but it looks like that won't work based on your first post. Thanks again for trying it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Since the F48 is completely different, I doubt the exhaust will fit whatsoever. Supersprint makes an exhaust for the N20 which has quad tips, I doubt the size would be too small for the 35i
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep

Custom single pipe from front to back should be a good option, but local exhaust shops won't have fancy mandrel bends. Then split into 2 pipes near the rear axle and route out through modified rear diffuser with quad tips. The battery tray is in the way to put a large side to side muffler in the back. I'll have to source the flanges and tips and work out a plan with exhaust guy to see if we can make it a reality. The car sounds good now with catless downpipe and keeps the sleeper factor so not sure if I'll invest any more time into it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #9
JDMCIVIC
Enlisted Member
Rep

Has anyone tried fitting one of these exhausts on their X1?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...FRSGfgodxFIApw

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...FVJhfgodZjAAcQ
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep

Those are a good find... pipe layout looks good, but it doesn't appear to match the midpipe flange on the N55 stock exhaust. So it would need to have a flange installed so it could bolt up. Not sure on the pipe diameter of these to see if it would match.

It may work fine for the N20 exhaust as that system doesn't have the same flange as N55.
I looked both stock systems up in the RealOem.com site and diagrams to see the mid pipe flange connection.

maybe Supersprint will send one for testing...!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
JDMCIVIC
Enlisted Member
Rep

I emailed Supersprint, hopefully I'll get a reply.

Mwtrogus, how much louder is your X1 with the catless DP, and which one did you purchase? VRSF?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #12
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I'm not sure about the N55, but the N20 is just slip fit with a cheese clamp at the DP to mid pipe connection. The Supersprint was made for N20 engines, or diesels depending on the P/N. I don't know what the pipe diameter difference is between N20 and N55. I can't see huge changes, but there would be definitely a larger pipe on the N55.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMCIVIC View Post
I emailed Supersprint, hopefully I'll get a reply.

Mwtrogus, how much louder is your X1 with the catless DP, and which one did you purchase? VRSF?
The catless downpipe is a great mod, good power increase and the sound is awesome! You can hear turbo spool and gives overall deeper exhaust note. No drone or anything and pretty similar to stock sound when under light throttle. An intake and catless DP are a good combo to create some fun engine sounds...
I have a AR Design downpipe, the design and welds are top notch. I'd find a used one on the E90 or 1 series forums... no difference if new or used in my opinion and can save a few bucks, but make sure to buy new gaskets before install.
I'd like to have an option to run a straight through design muffler as I think the sound would be better than the stock muffler, but honestly I'd probably only run that setup for spring/summer. I cant have my daily driver sound too obnoxious...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
The catless downpipe is a great mod, good power increase and the sound is awesome! You can hear turbo spool and gives overall deeper exhaust note. No drone or anything and pretty similar to stock sound when under light throttle. An intake and catless DP are a good combo to create some fun engine sounds...
I have a AR Design downpipe, the design and welds are top notch. I'd find a used one on the E90 or 1 series forums... no difference if new or used in my opinion and can save a few bucks, but make sure to buy new gaskets before install.
I'd like to have an option to run a straight through design muffler as I think the sound would be better than the stock muffler, but honestly I'd probably only run that setup for spring/summer. I cant have my daily driver sound too obnoxious...
What's the smell like, catless?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
What's the smell like, catless?
I really don't think it is too bad inside the car. The car does still have secondary cats so that may help.
I don't let the car idle in garage or in one spot too long or if the windows are open, then you can smell fumes. Honestly, smells better than most of the beaters and trucks on the road these days.
Cold starts are pretty loud, but overall if you want the nice performance upgrade, it is a great mod and I would certainly recommend it.
only issue is the state inspection. .. it throws a CEL and not ready state for sensors. I have a JB4 which clears the code and light on dash. I may have to swap it out to paso inspection...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #16
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtrogus View Post
I really don't think it is too bad inside the car. The car does still have secondary cats so that may help.
I don't let the car idle in garage or in one spot too long or if the windows are open, then you can smell fumes. Honestly, smells better than most of the beaters and trucks on the road these days.
Cold starts are pretty loud, but overall if you want the nice performance upgrade, it is a great mod and I would certainly recommend it.
only issue is the state inspection. .. it throws a CEL and not ready state for sensors. I have a JB4 which clears the code and light on dash. I may have to swap it out to paso inspection...
I know this is really old, but is the JB4 enough to pass inspection because it clears the code?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #17
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
I know this is really old, but is the JB4 enough to pass inspection because it clears the code?
No. You would need a proper tune like MHD which would disable the cat monitor. Mine just passed inspection no problems.
      12-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #18
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
No. You would need a proper tune like MHD which would disable the cat monitor. Mine just passed inspection no problems.
I see you're in Texas. Is the Texas inspection one where they plug into the OBII port? I currently have a JB stage 1 and I would like a little more out of my X1. I was considering an upgrade, I had a 2018 X1 for a couple of days last year and while the transmission is far superior, I don't like having to wind the 4 banger up like an 8 day clock and hold it there to get anything out of it. That's why I chose the 3.0l from the start.

I know the 2.0 on paper makes almost as much (+/- 5 hp), but its not "usable" in daily situations. On the track sure, where you don't mind bouncing off the limiter, sure.

I was thinking the downpipe would be the next upgrade, but inspections in Mass can be a real PITA.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #19
manhoso
Rep

you need to check the requirements.. i thought i would pass Il, with MHD and it was an instant fail.

I spent wasted money on a Wagner cat and install, and the Wagner tripped a CEL as well.

IMO.. while the catless option was sweet.. in the long term, not worth the hassle of State bull$hitt, running around doing drive cycles and wasted time at a test center.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #20
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
I see you're in Texas. Is the Texas inspection one where they plug into the OBII port? I currently have a JB stage 1 and I would like a little more out of my X1. I was considering an upgrade, I had a 2018 X1 for a couple of days last year and while the transmission is far superior, I don't like having to wind the 4 banger up like an 8 day clock and hold it there to get anything out of it. That's why I chose the 3.0l from the start.

I know the 2.0 on paper makes almost as much (+/- 5 hp), but its not "usable" in daily situations. On the track sure, where you don't mind bouncing off the limiter, sure.

I was thinking the downpipe would be the next upgrade, but inspections in Mass can be a real PITA.
Yeah, we have the OBD emissions test. With the MHD tune the catalyst monitor just says "not available" so as long as all the other monitors are passed, it's easy. I have deleted all 3 cats, MHD tune running E30 mix, VRSF 7.5 intercooler and charge pipe. It's fun!
      12-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #21
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
Smile Exhaust mods and MHD Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
Yeah, we have the OBD emissions test. With the MHD tune the catalyst monitor just says "not available" so as long as all the other monitors are passed, it's easy. I have deleted all 3 cats, MHD tune running E30 mix, VRSF 7.5 intercooler and charge pipe. It's fun!
2014 X1 35I /Ultimate package loaded 84k

I am in a metro Texas area, emission tests r in Travis cty also, am wondering how to pass emissions tests?

Walnut blasted head in the spring was choked up with carbon and gunk ,like new inside again runs great,

new CTS down pipe in the box with fresh band and gaskets, in parts box waiting

I had purchased a right angle o2 adapter for CTS downstream downpipe port. is this even needed?

would i even need 1 or a second one for the stealth install?

How about a cleanly installed catch can install and if so what model or brand? for N 55
Burger or Mishimoto?

how about a intake? the burger intake i got, didnt fit well over top of the engine returned it

I am gathering parts again :

CTS Catless Downpipe
MHD Orange wireless adapter with tuning licenses

installed:
vrsf charge pipe /oem broke
5" intercooler installed
new cooling water pump & thermo
hoses ,alum head fitting
new o rings on front of engine sensors ,no oil leaks there anymore
new vanos sensors
pulley kit and new belt
new AC bearing on pulley
valve cover kit
oil filter housing gasket
brakes rotors all done
ecs bronze bushing and stainless guide rods in caliper now
all fresh fluids and lubes
transfer case serviced
trans service with fresh filters flush and valve body tubes etc

oil pan gasket is seeping maybe rear main seal too

ordered Andream Android 10 head unit display for christmas it is on the jet coming today from overseas

Exhaust mods pending more information and a little guidance.

Not to many of these around this area

I have seen a new tuning place acoss the street torque euro performance and tuning.

Any advise or help insight or assistance is appreciated.

K

Last edited by proteus290; 12-15-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0