Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

woeful X1 standard seats

I've had my X1 23d for a month now and whilst it IS a great car, the whole package is overshadowed by seats that would be more suited to a Toyota Yaris than in any BMW, let alone the top of the line X1. Yes they are standard and not sports seats but they are useless when they are so uncomfortable. Ive reached the point now where anymore than 20min in the car is a chore.

Given BMW has now sold 36,000 X1's there must be a whole lot of these seats running around. Surely im not the only one that cant believe BMW would design something so ergonomically poor?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
Nash
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 2.0d

Smile

Agree that seats and leather is stiff but actually find on trips over an hour you get out with less aches and stiffness. I had a Lexus IS250 previously and although the leather is smooth and supple on a long trip they are less comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Well, I went for the sports seats for added lateral support. I had to mess around with most settings (height, inclination, "rotation", etc) of both seat and steering wheel to get to a comfortable position - but given that you can adjust all those settings it should be enough for you to find a suitable position.

Other than that, I've driving around like crazy, stretches over 2h long without stop, and have no complaints about it (black leather sports seats - manual seats with just the electric adjustment of the lateral support of the sports option.)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Agree that seats and leather is stiff but actually find on trips over an hour you get out with less aches and stiffness. I had a Lexus IS250 previously and although the leather is smooth and supple on a long trip they are less comfortable.
Leather definitely has nothing to do with this issue. Its simply the SHAPE of the seat. With the seat height in a normal position the slope of the seat base is so great that the base of your spine takes a high load. This coupled with zero support for your lumbar is the issue. You shouldnt need to get the optional lumbar support adjustment to HAVE lumbar support, just to adjust it. Then there is next to no lateral support either, its like a park bench - there is nothing to lean on around a corner - you have to use your own core muscles all the time. Hardly makes for anything resembling comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
happygirl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedsheet View Post
Leather definitely has nothing to do with this issue. Its simply the SHAPE of the seat. With the seat height in a normal position the slope of the seat base is so great that the base of your spine takes a high load. This coupled with zero support for your lumbar is the issue. You shouldnt need to get the optional lumbar support adjustment to HAVE lumbar support, just to adjust it. Then there is next to no lateral support either, its like a park bench - there is nothing to lean on around a corner - you have to use your own core muscles all the time. Hardly makes for anything resembling comfort.
Agreed, I was driving my car around today and the seats are getting so uncomfortable. Like you, I only upgraded to the leather and I didn't change it the sports seats, but near in my life would I expect that the seats were so poorly designed in the vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
HORACE
England
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedsheet View Post
Leather definitely has nothing to do with this issue. Its simply the SHAPE of the seat. With the seat height in a normal position the slope of the seat base is so great that the base of your spine takes a high load. .
Doesn't the standard seat have tilt adjustment for the seat squab?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #7
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORACE View Post
Doesn't the standard seat have tilt adjustment for the seat squab?
nope. just up-down. As the seat goes up or down the angle also changes. Flat when at the highest position and very angled at the lowest.
Appreciate 0