01-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

Took a break, now I'm back!

Been a few years.

Picked up a loaded Z4 35i when the hardtop was released back in 09:
(thread from ordering through PDC pickup)
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273587

We had the Z4 for a bit over 2 years and our lifestyle changed with a move from Milwaukee, where I drove 30-50+ mi/day to Midtown Atlanta where we walked everywhere. The Z4 was sitting in the garage, getting driven maybe once every 2 weeks and it was our only car (with 3 of us in the house). Our son was looking at getting his license and we were starting a business so the Z4 just wasn't fitting our needs.

We decided to scale back and picked up a Nissan Juke SL. AWD & loaded with every option, it was like $27k otd. A HUGE difference obviously from the BMW.

BUT, the BMW did that thing that BMW does... It spoiled literally every other car I could drive. The Nissan was great for being a cheap car, but it just felt so cheap/shoddy. The seat leather was more high-grade plastic. The entire interior was plastic. Nothing was finished well, etc etc etc.

The itch came back to get into another BMW, and in looking I found that the X1 would really meet our needs. It's small enough to be a city car, yet big enough to meet our needs for our business.

I really wanted to order and do the PDC with my son, but also didn't want to wait the 2 mos for delivery. I found an X1 that had almost every option I wanted.

35i - Mineral Gray - M Sport package - Ultimate package - Heated Seats.

The only other option I would have chosen would have been the upgraded stereo, but frankly the stock one is not that bad.

Ended up with a lease that was only about $100 more than what I was paying for the juke financing. Leasing just made more sense due to how little we drive.

Been nothing but grins since we drove it home on Mon! Now I just wish I could get the iPhone snap-in adapter to take advantage of the BMW Apps. Not sure why they are ALWAYS behind on this (had the same problem with the Z4).

Anyhow, that's my story! =)

Glad to be back!
-Jeff

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Welcome back
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Welcome back to the land of BMW! Always a good place to be.

Post pics when you can!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! Will snap a few pics when I can get it out in some daylight. The lighting in the garage is miserable.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Welcome back!

My sis has the Juke. Hate that thing. Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Congrats on the new car. Before getting my X1 I also looked at the Juke and a number of other Japanese cars, but in the end it was only slightly more expensive to lease the X1 than those other cars once you figure in the free maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Welcome back!

My sis has the Juke. Hate that thing. Lol
My sister has a Juke AWD and loves it. It drives well and has been reliable. It is not an X1 but a nice ride nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #8
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The Juke is not a bad car for what it is. Thing is, what it is - is not a BMW. LOL.

Plus side for the Juke:
AWD
Fully loaded incl heated leather, Nav, backup cam, keyless operation & some trim accessories $27k OTD
Small, perfect city-driving 4-door car
4 cyl turbo had decent get up (still no comparison to the X1 35i)

Downsides (aside from it not being a BMW):
* Turbo lag.. ugh.. It's like the turbo was delivered via parcel post. Step on the gas and in 4-6 weeks you'd get some turbo.
* Fuel economy was atrocious. For a small 4-cyl, I was surprised to be getting low 20's on the hwy
* Handling in the wet was absolutely horrible. Every other juke owner I talked to complained of this as well. I think it is a combination of suspension and weight distribution.

Overall, it's not a bad car and has considerable options/amneties for the price-point.

My biggest reason for coming back to the BMW is that the attention-to-detail that BMW provides simply cannot be overlooked once you've had one.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeF4y View Post
The Juke is not a bad car for what it is. Thing is, what it is - is not a BMW. LOL.

Plus side for the Juke:
AWD
Fully loaded incl heated leather, Nav, backup cam, keyless operation & some trim accessories $27k OTD
Small, perfect city-driving 4-door car
4 cyl turbo had decent get up (still no comparison to the X1 35i)

Downsides (aside from it not being a BMW):
* Turbo lag.. ugh.. It's like the turbo was delivered via parcel post. Step on the gas and in 4-6 weeks you'd get some turbo.
* Fuel economy was atrocious. For a small 4-cyl, I was surprised to be getting low 20's on the hwy
* Handling in the wet was absolutely horrible. Every other juke owner I talked to complained of this as well. I think it is a combination of suspension and weight distribution.

Overall, it's not a bad car and has considerable options/amneties for the price-point.

My biggest reason for coming back to the BMW is that the attention-to-detail that BMW provides simply cannot be overlooked once you've had one.
I've driven her Juke many times in the wet and the Juke AWD has been great. Then again she has Pirelli Pzero Nero tires. Fuel economy has been questionable on the Jukes as many pro reviewers have stated as well. Ride is harsh on bad roads though. The vehicle has been absolutely reliable and no problems. Overall, you are right it's a good ride especially for city dwellers looking in the non luxury sub $30k and fully loaded with options.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Randy7fx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Congrats! My X1 (picked it up a few weeks ago) is identical to yours, plus HK stereo. Coral red interior. I absolutely love it. Just put a JB4 on it, and WOW, night and day!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So in terms of software mods, I'd be really interested in some functional improvements (as well as performance) with things like auto-closing the moonroof on rain detection, showing the current gear, auto fold/unfold mirrors on start/stop, etc.

What's the skinny on any of the flashes or box mods?

Appreciate 0