11-02-2023, 07:50 PM   #1
Gus6174
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 & E90

Catalytic Converter Removal xDrive

Hi All,

Just brand new to this forum.

Looking for any assistance or an instruction on how to remove the catalytic converter from my 2012 X1 xDrive 28i. The flex portion is leaking and I have a new assembly to replace the old.

BMW newTIS indicates … (specific portion referring to lowering the front axle support welded assembly)

Four-wheel drive vehicles only:
Partially release screws (1).
Tightening torque 31 10 1AZ.
Lower front axle support (2) approx. 210 mm.

Unquote

…. Which makes absolutely no sense. Partially releasing the bolts may get 20-ish millimetres of clearance which still may not provide sufficient room to get the darn thing out.

Appreciate any help from someone who has conducted this repair or direction to a thread on this.

Is it possible for the assembly to be removed once the belly plate is removed, the engine is supported and the RH motor mount is removed?

Any help or guidance much appreciated as I need this repair done for the safety inspection.

Tks … Gus

Last edited by Gus6174; 11-09-2023 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 08:09 AM   #2
Gus6174
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 & E90

2012 X1 Converter Removal Update

Hi All,

Unfortunately no responses but had to get on with the job and subsequently reporting all went well … success achieved.

Here are the steps I used …

Elevate the vehicle front end (ramps or a lift) but keep on the wheels … this will be important at a following step.

Remove the two electrical plugs from the oxygen sensors at the rear of the engine valve cover. Requires removing cabin air filter, tray and support bars, engine cover, etc

Using a “Tow Eye”, install in place beside the oil filter cover and using a support from side to side bearing on the inner fenders, remove the RH engine mount nut from above and lift the engine slightly till it is up and off the mount (up 15-20mm). This step provides some of the clearance to extract the Cat.

Subsequently, from the underside, loosen the six bolts that attach the front suspension frame to the chassis. Remove the three bolts on the RH side completely.

Using a jack, lift the vehicle slightly and carefully from the RH forward lifting pad. The goal is to get another few millimetres clearance as the chassis lifts and the front suspension subframe and wheels stay on the ground. You now have sufficient clearance to remove the assembly over the subframe rearward.

Remove the RH motor mount to gain clearance (4 x E12 bolts) and then remove the bracket that secures the Cat and the clamp on the exhaust pipe. Slide the Cat rearward and be carful about the oxygen sensors as to not damage them.

Hope this helps.

Gus
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #3
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Thanks for following up, this is good information for the forum!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 03:55 PM   #4
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Man I sure miss the days when the cat is right on the midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #5
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Gus6174, this is great info. For timing chain replacement and turbo work, the procedure is very similar to what you described.

My only criticism is that I would argue it's easier in the long run to just take the subframe off entirely for your work. Yes, it's a little more work to get all the bolts off, but it makes getting the cat pipe (or whatever part you are replacing) in and out a lot easier.

Also, some X1s have "Tow Hooks" that are not compatible with the threaded hole in the engine block. Check yours to make sure it is compatible, and order one if not.
Appreciate 0