Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

03-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #89
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassrebel View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am!) but, wouldn't that just affect the way it charges the battery? Would it also affect how it distributes the electricity through the car?

I just changed the ah of the battery from 80ah AGM to 80ah. Anything else I need to do?
If you wanted to be extra OCD and cautious, I'd take the battery to autozone/pep boys/oreillys to test the battery health. If you want to skip getting the battery tested, maybe just go on a moderate drive for 30-40 minutes and then start to apply more and more throttle until you build up to WOT and hopefully misfire free as you incrementally apply more throttle. I'm no electrical or ECU/DME guru, so don't know how AGM vs non-AGM would affect the cars electrical distribution, but I've just read on the BMW forums not having the correct battery coding could result in some wacky electrical issues and specifically misfire issues as well. And the coils are operated by electricity and sends an electrical ignition to your plugs so if you're not getting the proper voltage under high load at WOT, maybe it could be your issue. If this doesn't solve your issues, I'd have to say you have to try swapping the cylinder 4/5 coils with 1/2 cylinders to see if it's a coil issue, and also check the 4/5 cylinder spark plugs to see if those have abnormal wear like wheela suggested, and also get the battery tested if you skipped that part.
      03-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #90
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 C300 4Matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am!) but, wouldn't that just affect the way it charges the battery? Would it also affect how it distributes the electricity through the car?

I just changed the ah of the battery from 80ah AGM to 80ah. Anything else I need to do?
If you wanted to be extra OCD and cautious, I'd take the battery to autozone/pep boys/oreillys to test the battery health. If you want to skip getting the battery tested, maybe just go on a moderate drive for 30-40 minutes and then start to apply more and more throttle until you build up to WOT and hopefully misfire free as you incrementally apply more throttle. I'm no electrical or ECU/DME guru, so don't know how AGM vs non-AGM would affect the cars electrical distribution, but I've just read on the BMW forums not having the correct battery coding could result in some wacky electrical issues and specifically misfire issues as well. And the coils are operated by electricity and sends an electrical ignition to your plugs so if you're not getting the proper voltage under high load at WOT, maybe it could be your issue. If this doesn't solve your issues, I'd have to say you have to try swapping the cylinder 4/5 coils with 1/2 cylinders to see if it's a coil issue, and also check the 4/5 cylinder spark plugs to see if those have abnormal wear like wheela suggested, and also get the battery tested if you skipped that part.
I'm gonna take her to a nice drive to NYC today (about 200 miles round trip). Hopefully things will get better! 😜
      03-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #91
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Holy shit is this true. I have a non standard sized battery. Have I been over charging? Do I really need to re-code the car every time I swap from 93 to e30. That would suck.
From what I see on both Bimmerlink and Protools apps, I believe this is true. I also reached out to MHD about it and they were not sure and didn't express any confidence about if this was true or not.
What are you seeing to believe this. I have BimmerLink and just checked and my battery was still coded to 70ah and I swap between e30 and 93 fairly often.

Side note it showed my battery at 88% charge, is that normal? I just got it this winter after my factory one smoked and leaked in my trunk 🤮
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #92
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
What are you seeing to believe this. I have BimmerLink and just checked and my battery was still coded to 70ah and I swap between e30 and 93 fairly often.

Side note it showed my battery at 88% charge, is that normal? I just got it this winter after my factory one smoked and leaked in my trunk ��
I haven't really played around with BimmerLink's battery function in a while, but are you saying there is a way to check the current battery rating coding in Bimmerlink? I was going off the assumption that the battery registration coding gets reset when you flash MHD because after flashing an MHD tune the mileage record of the last battery registration would disappear (of course I could be wrong, but MHD wasn't able to confirm and maybe if you had INPA/ISTA you'd be able to check the rating).

Whenever I check my battery % charge in Bimmerlink, it usually shows somewhere between 70-80% and I changed my battery with an aftermarket Interstate AGM w/ same 80Ah rating as the original battery (replaced battery 2020 January).

Edit: checked BimmerLink and it does show the battery Ah/AGM rating. so I guess I'm wrong about the coding being reset based on what darkrom experienced

Last edited by solidsleeper; 03-27-2021 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #93
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

screenshot of BimmerLink app showing my battery type
Attached Images

03-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #94
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

It could be a long flash vs short flash possibly. I'm just happy it stayed 70 amp or I'd have been over charging it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 04:55 AM   #95
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

Something interesting I just saw on this log...

Is says oxygen sensor incomplete... could that point to a possible O2 sensor fault?
Attached Images

03-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #96
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

More updates... on BimmerLink I can see which cylinder is misfiring... looks like 4 is the culprit (36) and 5 (6)... if I have some time today I'll swap them with 1&2 and see what's up
      03-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #97
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
More updates... on BimmerLink I can see which cylinder is misfiring... looks like 4 is the culprit (36) and 5 (6)... if I have some time today I'll swap them with 1&2 and see what's up
https://datazap.me/u/bassrebel/log-1...=0-1-2-3-4-5-6
      03-30-2021, 01:12 PM   #98
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Curious if you got to try this yet? I just saw over on e90 post a guy was having misfires on 1 and switched coils between 1 and 2. He noticed the coil felt looser on 1, and after switching coils the misfires went away (presumably a loose coil connection). But he also had a code for short spark duration.

Last edited by wheela; 03-30-2021 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Fix typos
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #99
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Curious if you got to try this yet? I just saw over on e90 post a guy was having misfires on 1 and switched coils between 1 and 2. He noticed the coil felt looser on 1, and after switching coils the misfires went away (presumably a loose coil connection). But he also had a code for short spark duration.
I haven't felt a need to use the truck yet so I haven't done it lol I did switch the tune to stage 2 91oct and nothing changed... maybe I'll do it this afternoon
      03-31-2021, 10:03 AM   #100
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

So I changed coil 4 with coil 1 and I'm still getting the same stuttering in cyl 4&5. Do I have to reset adaptations?
      03-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #101
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
So I changed coil 4 with coil 1 and I'm still getting the same stuttering in cyl 4&5. Do I have to reset adaptations?
So I'm assuming you had a shop replace your spark plugs for you? Did they also replace your coils or did you do the coils yourself? Since it wasn't too long ago since the shop replaced them, I feel like most reputable independent shops would take a look/warranty the parts for free if you're having issues so soon.

Praying for you my man lol. If you're still gonna try to solve it yourself, I would also check coil 5 and swap that with coil 2.

Also while you're there, I would check spark plugs 4 & 5 since you're already there. I understand you might not have the plug socket/extension/tools though... and kinda sucks to get to cylinder 5 as well.
      04-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #102
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So I'm assuming you had a shop replace your spark plugs for you? Did they also replace your coils or did you do the coils yourself? Since it wasn't too long ago since the shop replaced them, I feel like most reputable independent shops would take a look/warranty the parts for free if you're having issues so soon.

Praying for you my man lol. If you're still gonna try to solve it yourself, I would also check coil 5 and swap that with coil 2.

Also while you're there, I would check spark plugs 4 & 5 since you're already there. I understand you might not have the plug socket/extension/tools though... and kinda sucks to get to cylinder 5 as well.
My shop is an hr away from me... I just bought the thin wall spark plug socket and tomorrow will be changing the spark plugs to see if it makes any difference
      04-04-2021, 04:44 PM   #103
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My shop is an hr away from me... I just bought the thin wall spark plug socket and tomorrow will be changing the spark plugs to see if it makes any difference
There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! In this resurrection Sunday my truck gave resurrection signs!!! I switched the plugs from 4&5 to 1&2 and the misfires followed the plugs sooo there's the culprit! 2 Brand new spark plugs failed! I'll stop by the auto store tomorrow and pick up 2 new ones and we should be done!!
      04-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #104
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
There is light at the end of the tunnel!!! In this resurrection Sunday my truck gave resurrection signs!!! I switched the plugs from 4&5 to 1&2 and the misfires followed the plugs sooo there's the culprit! 2 Brand new spark plugs failed! I'll stop by the auto store tomorrow and pick up 2 new ones and we should be done!!
THERE IS A GOD!!! Happy Easter Sunday to you bassrebel
      04-04-2021, 11:14 PM   #105
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet nectar!!! Glad you got it sorted!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #106
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

It will be interesting to see if you can see anything wrong with those 2 bad plugs once you pull them out.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 07:52 AM   #107
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
It will be interesting to see if you can see anything wrong with those 2 bad plugs once you pull them out.
No more hesitation! All is well now! =]

Thank you and @solidsleeper for all the help!

Here's a pic of the spark plugs... these were put on in December
Attached Images

04-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #108
Bolhaboy
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Anybody else with MHD run into 2BC0 Fuel-air mixture too lean codes, looking for some fix ideas
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #109
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolhaboy View Post
Anybody else with MHD run into 2BC0 Fuel-air mixture too lean codes, looking for some fix ideas
Would you share with us more info?

What mods do you have? What stage are you running it? Is it causing any errors?
      04-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #110
Bolhaboy
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Would you share with us more info?

What mods do you have? What stage are you running it? Is it causing any errors?
VRSF FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe, AFE Drop in Intake, XHP Stage 2, MHD 1+, H&R/ Bilstein combo. Nothing too crazy as far as mods go, I also did plugs recently but not coils and took it to my shop but they said they couldn't diagnose it as I cleared the code they had nothing to go off of. I ordered the Fuel-It stage 1 LPFP upgrade, new oxygen sensor, and new high pressure fuel sensor just to be precautionary.
Appreciate 0