Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #23
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post

Also, keep in mind you live in Florida. In the Northeast our roads have huge pot holes. My last car had 18" wheels and I bent a couple of them. It was NOT fun, nor was the terrible jarring ride every time I had to drive through NYC. What's wrong with wanting both a smooth ride and good performance?

I don't need to take my car on a track, but I do like it to be fun to drive AND deliver a nice smooth ride over rough road.
HA Born and raised in NJ...You are right, roads up there are awful, Not only are there huge potholes, but it seems that the holes they do fill up are "overfilled," especially for all the taxes you guys pay... I am in Philly and south Jersey at least monthly on business and thank goodness I am in a rental

Our M-Sport 3.5i is the ticket...we did not get the 19" wheels because they are a bit "too" harsh and concerned about possible wheel damage, but have the staggered 18" set up...overall the M-Sport gives the X1 a nice tight feel, especially since it's CG is up a little higher over the other E9X chassis...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

I primarily got an M Sport just because Le Mans Blue is only available on that line. the X Line has the black bumper and side skirts which give a rugged look (and maybe an advantage for semi off-roading?) but M Sport gives a "full bodied" look which i prefer

Yeah, the only thing i hate is the lack of heated stirring, considering I live in MI. I've never had one but with the automatic climate control, it just takes forever to heat the interior. My solution, a pair or leather gloves
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #25
KapaluaGirl
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 sDrive28i MSport

The roadways and potholes in NJ/NY are the worst-I remember them well. As a former owner of an RX350, the vehicle is vastly different than any BMW but it does offer a beautifully smooth ride. If we're comparing price points, then maybe a fully loaded Acura RDX for $38K would be a better option for someone looking for a smoother ride and "good" performance over rough roads. But once again, totally different vehicle than the X1...

Back to the original post... Alpine white or mineral grey metallic are my two favorite colors in the Msport.
494-Heated Seats,
7XA-Paddle Shifters,Tint-F1 Ceramic30%
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #26
sjones0812
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328ic

Going to look at the X1 and X3 today.....will let you know what I think.

If I go with the X1 then I think I will do the M sport and fully load it up. $45,750

If I do a X3 I would get it with everything except M sport, dynamic handling and driver assist $52,400

Dut I guess it all comes down to how they drive and what the monthly $ will be.
      11-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #27
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapaluaGirl View Post
If we're comparing price points, then maybe a fully loaded Acura RDX for $38K would be a better option for someone looking for a smoother ride and "good" performance over rough roads. But once again, totally different vehicle than the X1...
The Acura is a very nice car. I did go and look at it. If they had a decent lease program I would have considered it, but the numbers actually came out about $120/month higher than the X1.

When you are leasing, the MSRP of the vehicle does not always indicate what the lease price is. BMWs happen to lease really well, and if you don't load the X1 up too much, you can end up with a lease price of less than 1% of MSRP. My car will be $360/month with $0 down (taxes and fees upfront). MSRP is $37,225.

My budget was $400/month max. So the reality of my shopping experience was that none of the other "premium" SUVs had lease prices that were comparable to the X1. My other alternatives were the Mazda CX5, Mini Countryman, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester & XV Crosstrek, etc. Given that, it was an easy choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
bill1963
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw x1

Don't wanna jack the thread, but when I bought the X1, my wife and I had also considered the Acura RDX. Same price as the x1 very nice car indeed, it has more features and feels more luxurious inside. The only downside I could think of is the handling and fuel economy of the V6.

My wife is a car geek, she said Japanese car makers save materials when they make cars, so build quality is never on par with the germans. She particularly mentioned the door "thunk" sound from the x1 and compared it the RDX. And can you imagine the difference. She's into details haha
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
sjones0812
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I test drove a X128i sport today.....wow.

I test drove it in Boston, hit some crappy roads and it was like butter compared to my e93 M sport.

It also seemed to have more power or was geared better then my e93....it did not have the nice 6 cylinder sound though.

Backseats had ample space for me to sit in both front and back (I'm 5'10"). Back cargo area seems good as well.

I do see that compared to a 3 series they cheaped out on some interior stuff...and the clip on cup holder is odd.

I think I might buy one.....just need to decide on the color.

Think I'm going with M sport and with every option...might go with the 19" 225 rims.
      11-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
Peckhammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 M-Sport

Did your test car have 18" or 19" wheels?

Colors: we ended up with mineral white which is very nice, IMO. We also liked mineral gray, lemans blue and alpine white. Curious to see which one you get. Also, we payed a couple hundred under invoice using the $750 credit. Bet you can beat that with loyalty cash.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #31
sjones0812
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckhammer View Post
Did your test car have 18" or 19" wheels?

Colors: we ended up with mineral white which is very nice, IMO. We also liked mineral gray, lemans blue and alpine white. Curious to see which one you get. Also, we payed a couple hundred under invoice using the $750 credit. Bet you can beat that with loyalty cash.
Had 18's.....I just realized the 19's are not all season, so I think I'm going with the 18 355m rims and get the all seasons.

I love LMB but that is what I have now and might not want the same color back to back...the other color option I am looking at is Black Sapphire. Would do a black interior with either color and tint the windows.

Fully loaded MSRP is $46k, need to find out what the invoice is....sales guy quoted me $44k as a number to get me a monthly lease price.....but we have not sat down and put anything on paper.
      11-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #32
KapaluaGirl
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 sDrive28i MSport

Also keep in mind that the x1 is now part of the BMW CCA rebate program which means you will be eligible to receive a $500 check for leasing/purchasing the vehicle!!!
494-Heated Seats,
7XA-Paddle Shifters,Tint-F1 Ceramic30%
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #33
lvlolvlo
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: eeeee nein-tee-two

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I came from an e92 to an e84 M sport. Made the change because I needed something with X drive in my move from LA to Seattle. I love the way the M sports looks on this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #34
kgolles
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i sDrive ZSL

I just ordered my X1 on thursday. I went with the sportline because I preferred the look of the wheels, steering wheel, black exterior accents and ride over the M. However, I do love the front and rear bumpers of the M.

I went with an sDrive 28i in alpine white w/ black leatherette. I only tacked on the lighting package and tech package. I like my cars simple and functional.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #35
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgolles View Post
I just ordered my X1 on thursday. I went with the sportline because I preferred the look of the wheels, steering wheel, black exterior accents and ride over the M. However, I do love the front and rear bumpers of the M.

I went with an sDrive 28i in alpine white w/ black leatherette. I only tacked on the lighting package and tech package. I like my cars simple and functional.
Not too much different than what I ordered last month. I got the xDrive28i in black sapphire metallic with black leatherette, and also added only the lightning & tech packages. I preferred the look of the sportline as well, but decided to skip it because I wanted to stick with 17" wheels/tires for the smoother ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #36
sjones0812
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wife test drove the X1 and said coming from the 328 it felt cheap and plasticy ..... she did like the drive though.

But now we are possibly looking at an X3...
      11-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #37
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If you are considering the X3 definitely look at the GLK. It is priced similarly, is in between the X1 and X3 in size, and also comes with a diesel which is a nice option if you want good highway gas mileage. And IMO the interior of the GLK is nicer than either the X1 or X3.

While the GLK does not drive as nicely as the X1, I think it does drive as nice as the X3. As is always the case, extra weight and size hurts performance, which is why the X1 performs so much better than anything else in this class.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #38
Dmitry83
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: F30 320i (328i ECU) M-Sport

Hi, everyone.

I own both X1 28i Sport Line and GLK 350.

GLK is a great and very reliable car, but has nothing to compare aginst X1 in terms of driving pleasure:

- GLK is 300kg heavier, and you feel it very obvious
- GLK brake pedal has long travel and is soft, X1 has traditionally short-travelling stiff pedal
- GLK steering is significantly slower than those of X1
- GLK has a strong understeer and diagonal floating, while the X1 is amaizingly agile and feels like a piece of solid rubber
- X1 is 20:80 transmission ratio, which makes it a hot rear-wheel drive lifted hatch, GLK is 40:60, that feels square, calm and safe
- GLK feels underdamped (weight distribution, longitudal floating, 19" rock-heavy wheels wobbling), X1 feels greatly balanced between steering and comfort
- GLK has wide and hard seats with low back and a hard front edge of the seat, X1 (sport) seats are tight and amazingly comfortable
- X1 has those wonderful long-travel soft buttons everywhere, GLK has terrible cheaply short-clicking buttons. Steering wheel swich of the wipers/headlights/everythingelse on GLK is just disastrous
- If you get an iDrive on X1- it is just incomparable to those awkward Command on GLK- like tomorrow and yesterday
- In general GLK is a comfortable and quite highway cruiser, which has a good off-road potential, and provides you a comfort and functionality, while X1 is a great driving instrument bringing you smile and youth injection in every twist of the road

Both of the cars are non-runflat.
X1- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45/18
GLK- Pirelli P-Zero 235/50/19+255/45/19

I've also test-drove X3 28i, which has a good noise-isolation, same as X1 (thanks, God!) hydraulic steering, great strong suspension, but compared to X1 it feels too high, eliminating the driving pleasure almost totally. Just compare those two- you will immediately understand what is your priority.
F80 bottom reinforcement plate
Koni Sport, M-Performance springs, M135i Anti-roll bars

Last edited by Dmitry83; 02-22-2015 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #39
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I have a 2015 28i xdrive with the sport line. Alpine white with coral red leather. I traded in my 2013 28i xdrive with X line. I found the standard seats too flat and love the sport seats. I was afraid to get the M sport because of the painted fenders and side sills. I live in RI and there is just an immense amount of sand that gets put on the roads up here during the winter. Your car literally gets sandblasted all winter. I feel the black bumpers and side sills provide a little bit of protection from that. I was afraid that the painted bumpers would just get chipped up too much.

Do those of you with the M Sport, who live in the snow belt, find that to be the case with the painted bumpers and side sills?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #40
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

As a former Boston MA commuter myself I will tell you right now as a M sport owner that the only 3 times I curbed my rims were from potholes near comm ave. If your worried go with a sport line. However if you love the looks, as far as msport goes it is amazing to look at. Sport line isnt bad either though in my opinion. Also good advise is to buy BLACK winter rims, so if you curb them you can just use a black sharpie to fill in the curb marks and then not feel bad. The x1 fits in tight parking spaces as well, where most SUV's cant. Also Im posting a picture to persude you.....
There is also no better car to cruise down 93/95/90 with. Highways are a breeze, and this car merges extremely well.
Also Remeber that Alloy Wheel Repair and Rim PRO are in our area depending on where you live. Rimpro is in Tewksbury and Alloy Wheel is EVERYWHERE. They will come to you and refinish on the spot. Rim Pro if I remember was 200ish per rim to refinish. They use OEM wheels as well.

Also I forgot If your going to do packages the only two in my mind for this car is Ultimate+Lighting, because ultimate is a good deal and gets you EVERYTHING, and lighting because xenon's. Good extras to add is heated front seats, and Harmon Kardon sound system. Stock system in these cars kinda suck, which is why I got the option and heated front seats because well...New England duh

Last edited by PleaseAdvise; 02-23-2015 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #41
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxx1918 View Post
I have a 2015 28i xdrive with the sport line. Alpine white with coral red leather. I traded in my 2013 28i xdrive with X line. I found the standard seats too flat and love the sport seats. I was afraid to get the M sport because of the painted fenders and side sills. I live in RI and there is just an immense amount of sand that gets put on the roads up here during the winter. Your car literally gets sandblasted all winter. I feel the black bumpers and side sills provide a little bit of protection from that. I was afraid that the painted bumpers would just get chipped up too much.

Do those of you with the M Sport, who live in the snow belt, find that to be the case with the painted bumpers and side sills?
Agreed. The M-Sport model in harsh winter northeast climate would have chips everywhere due to salting and sanding of roads. I am finding the black bumpers sills are better than painted during winter months...but if you install clear bra or don't mind repairing numerous chips then go for it. M Sport is a blast to drive. I didn't get it because I found the suspension just too stiff for my liking. See Car and Driver review of sport line 35i with standard suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #42
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty View Post
Agreed. The M-Sport model in harsh winter northeast climate would have chips everywhere due to salting and sanding of roads. I am finding the black bumpers sills are better than painted during winter months...but if you install clear bra or don't mind repairing numerous chips then go for it. M Sport is a blast to drive. I didn't get it because I found the suspension just too stiff for my liking. See Car and Driver review of sport line 35i with standard suspension.
Good Point my cars front end is sand blasted already, If your going to Chambers or Tulley (The only two you should by from around here) ask about invisible films such as Autobahn'd. They are great quality and work extremely well. I would have gotten it but I'm moving soon and not going to need it where I'm going. I had it on my E90 and it kept my front end fresh.

If you go to Tulley BMW Nashua to buy your vehicle ask for Jim Beal or Steve Hammond. They both are great client advisors and will get you what you want in a timely fashion and will assist you to the best of their abilities. If you go to Manchester PM me first and I'll get you someone.

This is the company they use. http://www.autobahndnorth.com/paint_protection.html

This is the only picture I have of my e90. You cant tell its there though unless you walk up to it and put your fingernail on it. You can wax it just like paint, and it looks great.

Last edited by PleaseAdvise; 02-23-2015 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #43
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Personally i see a shift back to respectable sidewall heights. These thin sidewalls are just not good enough for the colder areas as the roads are a debacle.

My Saab handles BETTER with 225/50's than it did with 225/45's, it's more compliant and doesn't skid over corrugated surfaces so much.

Last thing I'd be doing is reducing the sidewall height on an X1.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #44
newclass
Rep
Drives: x1 x35i msport, e46 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAdvise View Post
As a former Boston MA commuter myself I will tell you right now as a M sport owner that the only 3 times I curbed my rims were from potholes near comm ave. If your worried go with a sport line. However if you love the looks, as far as msport goes it is amazing to look at. Sport line isnt bad either though in my opinion. Also good advise is to buy BLACK winter rims, so if you curb them you can just use a black sharpie to fill in the curb marks and then not feel bad. The x1 fits in tight parking spaces as well, where most SUV's cant. Also Im posting a picture to persude you.....
There is also no better car to cruise down 93/95/90 with. Highways are a breeze, and this car merges extremely well.
Also Remeber that Alloy Wheel Repair and Rim PRO are in our area depending on where you live. Rimpro is in Tewksbury and Alloy Wheel is EVERYWHERE. They will come to you and refinish on the spot. Rim Pro if I remember was 200ish per rim to refinish. They use OEM wheels as well.

Also I forgot If your going to do packages the only two in my mind for this car is Ultimate+Lighting, because ultimate is a good deal and gets you EVERYTHING, and lighting because xenon's. Good extras to add is heated front seats, and Harmon Kardon sound system. Stock system in these cars kinda suck, which is why I got the option and heated front seats because well...New England duh

Great photo, great color. If I get a second msport it will be lemans blue.
Appreciate 0