XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #67
matjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i

I have had the Dinan tune on my N26 Xdrive and it I am very happy with the performance difference. Really wakes the car up. I have not noticed any mileage penalty in everyday driving.

Unfortunately, I am suffering from a very noticeable buzzing when the car is warmed up and just at idle say at a stop light. If I shift into park the buzz goes away. I also notice some buzzing between 1100 and 1500 RPM. I'm guessing this is just a fitment issue somewhere and not the actual tune. The dealer has the car now and is trying to track it down since I had the tune put in by a speed shop and they are pretty confident it isn't the actual turbo. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #68
matjen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Happy to report that my buzzing is gone. An electrical connector was rattling against a strut brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #69
nillan
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 x28i

who did the install?

hey matjen, i'm also in chicago and thinking about installing the dinan tune. can you tell me who did the install for you? i bought from fields, but they are not a dealer. thanks
nillan
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #70
matjen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nillan I had it done at Fall Line Motorsports. Then I had the rattling remedied at Patrick BMW while they were doing some regular service for me under warranty. I did not buy from Patrick and it wasn't an issue.

Jason Riforgiato
Fall-Line Motorsports
1225 Busch Parkway
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
P: 847.215.9500
F: 847-215-9518
jason@fall-linemotorsports.com
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #71
nillan
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 x28i

hey thanks for the info. are you satisfied with the performance upgrade. i'd like to keep this car for some time, would like a little more pep, but don't want to sacrifice long term reliability. maybe that's just a pipe dream
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #72
matjen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Very, very happy. I'm sure the Burger tune is great but my car is brand new so it was worth it to me to pay up for the Dinan to ensure less warranty hassle. Patrick BMW also installs Dinan and they had no problems with me having it and had no problems just including the rattle issue in my warrantied work.

The car's performance has really improved and there has been no drop in mileage that isn't related to me nailing the gas over and over. Can't wait to get my summer tires back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #73
mini_cal
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjen View Post
Very, very happy. I'm sure the Burger tune is great but my car is brand new so it was worth it to me to pay up for the Dinan to ensure less warranty hassle. Patrick BMW also installs Dinan and they had no problems with me having it and had no problems just including the rattle issue in my warrantied work.

The car's performance has really improved and there has been no drop in mileage that isn't related to me nailing the gas over and over. Can't wait to get my summer tires back on.
Saving up to get mine done. Spoke to my local dealer today and they said a Stage 2 tune was rolling out in the coming months. So maybe you'll have even more fun in the summer haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #74
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Just installed Dinan in my X1 2.8 xDrive. Definitely a must have!!!
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2015, 03:52 AM   #75
dimcz
Rep
Drives: E84 X1

Do you have any problem in charge or boost pipe with Dinan kit?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #76
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimcz View Post
Do you have any problem in charge or boost pipe with Dinan kit?
I haven't had any issues, I also installed a K&N filter as well. No problems but I've only put 200 miles or so on the car since the install. The car pulls strong to about 90mph. After that the gear ratios for 6th, 7th, and 8th gears are just not good for pulling power.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #77
dimcz
Rep
Drives: E84 X1

M/Ths.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #78
Dblugoose
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 Sport Line

Hi all. Renewing this thread to see if anyone who did the Dinan tune has run into any long term problems. Does it also increase throttle response or reduce the sensation of turbo lag?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 05:48 PM   #79
JsX1
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW E84 X1

Is the IOS app out yet for this tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #80
woodman411
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblugoose View Post
Hi all. Renewing this thread to see if anyone who did the Dinan tune has run into any long term problems. Does it also increase throttle response or reduce the sensation of turbo lag?
I'm also curious about this, I know more engine power results in more stress on other components, like tranny and diff, can anyone with Dinan or JB4 with over 100k miles comment on how the drivetrain is holding up?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #81
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

This drivetrain has been out for a while now. It's plenty strong for the power levels we're talking about here. Haven't seen any reports of any power-related failures of the trans, diff or axles. And one wouldn't expect any. This trans is in cars making much more power than what we're talking about.

Now...the N20...that's sort of another story...

http://www.***********.com/content.p...e-have-learned

Google GSR N20 failure, or N20 failure in general. People pushing 350+ ftlbs have lunched these motors.

Pushing it too hard has shown it's not as strong as some of BMW's other motor offerings. But again, with a mild tune like the Dinan, I don't think it's an issue.

If you're power hungry, you're much better off starting with an N55.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #82
woodman411
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
This drivetrain has been out for a while now. It's plenty strong for the power levels we're talking about here. Haven't seen any reports of any power-related failures of the trans, diff or axles. And one wouldn't expect any. This trans is in cars making much more power than what we're talking about.

Now...the N20...that's sort of another story...

http://www.***********.com/content.p...e-have-learned

Google GSR N20 failure, or N20 failure in general. People pushing 350+ ftlbs have lunched these motors.

Pushing it too hard has shown it's not as strong as some of BMW's other motor offerings. But again, with a mild tune like the Dinan, I don't think it's an issue.

If you're power hungry, you're much better off starting with an N55.
I have an N20, good information, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #83
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have had two electronic wastegate actuators replaced in 18 months/12,000 miles of ownership for a very intermittent CEL on cold start. However I highly doubt that had anything to do with the Dinan module. And honestly from the explanation I received after the second one was replaced was that it was more likely that neither one needed replaced they probably just could have been re-calibrated/adjusted. Same fault came back after the second one was installed and after they adjusted it there hasn't been any issues for a couple months now.

Throttle response really hasn't changed much, a Sprint Booster would take care of that. Had one installed on my Dinan stage II e82 135i M-sport and it made a huge difference in throttle response.

Turbo lag is never going to be reduced when you are increasing boost via software. The same sized turbo is trying to make more boost which directly correlates into an increase in turbo lag. The 8 speed does a pretty good job of keeping the motor in the power but I always drive my car in manual mode with the steering wheel paddles. Honestly I rarely use 7th gear and almost never use 8th gear even when driving on the highway. The car does run out of steam above 5k RPM so it's better to shift early than to run it up to redline. The car gets to 110-115 mph pretty well before starting to struggle. The only thing I don't like is the kick down button on the gas pedal. Most times I just want to stay in the same gear and use the torque to accelerate instead of dropping down 2-3 gears when you put it to the floor. Very annoying to me, but I've only driven manuals and this is my wife's car so I'm usually only driving it when we're together or if there's a lot of snow/ice on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #84
Dblugoose
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post

Throttle response really hasn't changed much, a Sprint Booster would take care of that. Had one installed on my Dinan stage II e82 135i M-sport and it made a huge difference in throttle response.
Thank you for your detailed response Moses! How come you didn't add the sprint booster to your current x1 too?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #85
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Most times I just want to stay in the same gear and use the torque instead of dropping down 2-3 gears when you put it to the floor. Very annoying to me, but I've only driven manuals and this is my wife's car so I'm usually only driving it when we're together or if there's a lot of snow/ice on the road.
You should make sure you get a feel for the kick down resistance point on the accelerator. If you go past that point, it will kick down 2-3 gears instead of maybe 1.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #86
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed response Moses! How come you didn't add the sprint booster to your current x1 too?
It's my wife's car, I don't drive it much and she's usually in the car with me so I'm not hammering on it like I would if I were alone. I'll probably get around to it at some point but I'm focusing on my M3 right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #87
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
You should make sure you get a feel for the kick down resistance point on the accelerator. If you go past that point, it will kick down 2-3 gears instead of maybe 1.
I've got a good feel for it but the issue is if you're driving in manual mode and you don't want to downshift you can't go past the kick down and therefore you can't achieve maximum throttle/performance without downshifting. The throttle does not open all the way unless you go past the kick down point. At some point I may try to install a gas pedal from a manual e9x without the kick down button and see what happens. It's particularly annoying when you just want to pass someone on the highway. There's usually no reason to downshift and I just want to accelerate smoothly in a higher gear. There's plenty of torque to get the job done without downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #88
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
I've got a good feel for it but the issue is if you're driving in manual mode and you don't want to downshift you can't go past the kick down and therefore you can't achieve maximum throttle/performance without downshifting. The throttle does not open all the way unless you go past the kick down point. At some point I may try to install a gas pedal from a manual e9x without the kick down button and see what happens. It's particularly annoying when you just want to pass someone on the highway. There's usually no reason to downshift and I just want to accelerate smoothly in a higher gear. There's plenty of torque to get the job done without downshifting.
The WOT is at the kick down resistance point, after that is just a switch to tell the auto transmission to kick down.
Appreciate 0