XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
PogChamp1994
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i

Can I disable Daytime Running Lights?

Hey guys. Just bought my 2014 X1 sDrive28i yesterday! I'm loving the car but I'm not a big fan of the daytime running lights (only because I didn't upgrade from halogen). I don't have iDrive and was wondering the steps it takes to disable from the menu by my speedometer. I've read a few threads but haven't seen a good step by step of how to do this. I have no idea how to navigate that menu and get to that option. Any help would be much appreciated! Excited to learn from you all!

Thanks!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

So you have the halogens at part power in the daytime? The Ford Focus that we gave to my daughter has no DRLs at all, and in this day and age, sometimes they just don't show up. When I was driving it in anything but sunny weather, I'd turn on the fogs.
You may want to reconsider.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You can turn them off with the left stalk with the car running but stopped. I forget the exact option, but that's how i turned them off on our non nav 135i, our X1 has nav and it's easy to turn them off for each key.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
hazmat
Rep
Drives: Scobby

its in the owners manual
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
mscottc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x28X1

Personally I wouldn't buy a car without Daytime Running Lamps. Lights aren't just there to help you see the road, but also to help other people see you. It was one of the reasons I wouldn't by the Ford Fusion I was looking at prior to heading back to BMW last fall. The dealership refused to activate them. Ford delivers them active only for fleet purchases, apparently.

When I look behind me and see a car coming up behind me without lights on a grey cloudy day, I know it's often a selfish person who only concern is his vanity.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 07:12 AM   #6
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post
It was one of the reasons I wouldn't by the Ford Fusion I was looking at prior to heading back to BMW last fall.
So, if that Ford Fusion had the option to turn on/off DRL, you'd have chosen Ford over BMW? I didn't realize that Ford is in the same league as BMW. Guess the world has changed a lot over the years!

Vince

Last edited by vbbuilt; 04-16-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Or you know, you could just turn on the headlights, which also turns on the taillights, if you buy into the whole lights on for safety thing. I don't. If you can't pick up on a 3k pound object moving quickly, you maybe shouldn't be driving.

I will continue to turn off the marketing lights on cars and use the headlights when appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Or you know, you could just turn on the headlights, which also turns on the taillights, if you buy into the whole lights on for safety thing. I don't. If you can't pick up on a 3k pound object moving quickly, you maybe shouldn't be driving.

I will continue to turn off the marketing lights on cars and use the headlights when appropriate.
Ignorant statement. Anyway I did leave my headlamps on all the time on my previous vehicle as it didn't have DRL although the Canadian version did. They just should mandate these by law. I don't know how many times people drive around in the rain or twilight with no lights on or just their parking lights. Big safety hazard for all of us.

My insuance gives me a discount for having a vehicle with Daytime running lights. I guess they are just throwing their money away.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Ignorant statement. Anyway I did leave my headlamps on all the time on my previous vehicle as it didn't have DRL although the Canadian version did. They just should mandate these by law. I don't know how many times people drive around in the rain or twilight with no lights on or just their parking lights. Big safety hazard for all of us.

My insuance gives me a discount for having a vehicle with Daytime running lights. I guess they are just throwing their money away.
Is it? I'd have to place the ignorant label on your statement. I think what you're trying to say is that auto lamps are what would help. The number of times I see dangerous situations with people driving with only DRL's and no tail lamps in full dark situations far outweighs the number of times I've seen someone's dim headlights on a fully sunny day get recognized.

Name one situation where auto lamps would be less helpful than DRL's, or on the flip side, name one situation where non lit tail lamps in a low light situation is a good idea.

DRL's remain a stupid thing. If we all have to suffer EPS for a 1% efficiency savings, why are we burning fuel to light a goofy marketing ploy on the front of the car in the middle of the day?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Is it? I'd have to place the ignorant label on your statement. I think what you're trying to say is that auto lamps are what would help. The number of times I see dangerous situations with people driving with only DRL's and no tail lamps in full dark situations far outweighs the number of times I've seen someone's dim headlights on a fully sunny day get recognized.

Name one situation where auto lamps would be less helpful than DRL's, or on the flip side, name one situation where non lit tail lamps in a low light situation is a good idea.

DRL's remain a stupid thing. If we all have to suffer EPS for a 1% efficiency savings, why are we burning fuel to light a goofy marketing ploy on the front of the car in the middle of the day?
I don't get your argument here: "The number of times I see dangerous situations with people driving with only DRL's and no tail lamps in full dark situations far outweighs the number of times I've seen someone's dim headlights on a fully sunny day get recognized"

I was arguing in twilight and rain I see people don't have their headlights on probably 20 percent of the time. What does this have to do with a sunny day? Maybe we should just take headlight control away from the driver and when the wipers are turned on or it isn't sunny full lights come on.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogChamp1994 View Post
I don't have iDrive and was wondering the steps it takes to disable from the menu by my speedometer. I've read a few threads but haven't seen a good step by step of how to do this. I have no idea how to navigate that menu and get to that option. Any help would be much appreciated! Excited to learn from you all!
In an attempt to get back on topic and answer the guys question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LxdkF1hjUUw
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
mscottc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x28X1

Quote:

Maybe you don't buy into the additional safety provided by daytime running lamps, but I do, and more importantly so do many others, hence their existence, hence the insurance discounts for them, hence many other countries making them mandatory.

As for whether or not I should be driving, anything that gives me or others an edge on seeing other vehicles is only a good thing. And other than some silly little vanity issue, I don't see a single downside.

To the poster who thinks that this issue was the only reason I bought a BMW over a Ford, no it wasn't, but it was one of many issues in the equation.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
PogChamp1994
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY View Post
In an attempt to get back on topic and answer the guys question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LxdkF1hjUUw
Haha, thanks for taking things back to the topic at hand. I appreciate it your help. That's exactly what I needed. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

I wholeheartedly agree that DRLs are not a perfect solution. Instead, they make many drivers numb and lazy when making decisions on using their lights. Here in NC it is the law that headlights must be on when it's raining. It makes sense, as it makes your car more visible both front and rear. Many with DRLs just assume that this feature takes care of this problem. But your rear lights are still off. Another example: I live near the Blue Ridge Parkway where there are numerous, unlighted tunnels. I must physically turn my lights on BEFORE entering the tunnel. When I see many drivers enter the tunnels thinking the DRLs will get them through safely - wrong! They immediately panic and hit the brakes until they figure it out, creating a very unsafe situation. Depending on your auto-on headlights will also lead you into a dangerous situation as there is a dangerous delay before they turn on. For these reasons and many others too numerous to mention I choose to disable my DRLs and instead use my headlight switch in rain, fog or situations where visibility is otherwise impeded. But on a bright sunny day driving on the highway? No thanks! Thank you BMW for allowing us the choice!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Glad to see someone gets it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #16
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
So, if that Ford Fusion had the option to turn on/off DRL, you'd have chosen Ford over BMW? I didn't realize that Ford is in the same league as BMW. Guess the world has changed a lot over the years!

Vince
Don't get your knickers in a wad, Vince! We got the Ford a couple years ago and my daughter's new job created a 60 mile daily commute with a seven year old Caliber, so we gave her the Focus and bought the BMW. A nicer car for me has been in the cards for some time; our 'trip' car is a 4-series Audi.
I've seen some sins with daytime running lights, just as I've seen damnfools who can't be bothered to turn on lights in the rain or darkness. The autolights aren't a perfect solution, tho' the ones in the X1 work well. The rings on the Bimmer or the leds on the Audi at least make sure you show up to some degree, which is a good thing, even if it doesn't solve all the world's problems. When in the slightest doubt, turn on the main beams.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #17
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

I live in Canada where DRL are on all vehicals since 200?. Your right about the tail light issue, what I really don't understand is why the hell do the dash lights come on when you start the car? This is what throws the people off about there tail lights being on or off. It's dark outside, the dash is lit, the street lights are on, and the car seems to have some forward lights on, so they think all is good. They don't realize there lights are actully off. Most of them have no clue why you are flashing your lights at them, or maybe they are to busy texting!

Society needs to stop doing everything to protect stupid people, and do more to protect us from stupid people.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInCND View Post
Society needs to stop doing everything to protect stupid people, and do more to protect us from stupid people.
I'm not sure this statement is meaningful...

Are you implying we need to kill the stupid people?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Eric5273
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think he means this....

Next time I buy a new computer, and inside the box it is packaged inside a plastic bag, I do not need a warning telling me not to place the plastic bag over my head.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #20
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post

Next time I buy a new computer, and inside the box it is packaged inside a plastic bag, I do not need a warning telling me not to place the plastic bag over my head.
Lol yup that's about right.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #21
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post

That warning is not there for stupid people, actually - it's there for the ostensibly intelligent people who become lawyers, and will sue on behalf of stupid people...stupid people who place plastic bags on their heads (or their children who do) probably don't read warnings anyway...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #22
Bschulte
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2013 sDrive 2.8 X1

I am not looking to get flamed here ... but I like the looks of these Hammer DRL's

http://www.amazon.com/HAMMER-Daytime.../dp/B00CO2LLJG

Does anyone out there have any experience with the wiring? It seems as if you have to remove the front bumper to accomplish that.
Appreciate 0