Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I feel like in some ways the X3 is going to be left behind design wise, as the first generation was. The first generation always looked painfully dated and I think this model might be the same.

The X1 already looks more in line with the current trend of the front ends.
True. The design of the X3 is somehow halfway between the daring and dynamic look of the X1 and the truck-like look of the old X3. I also think it could've been a bit more modern.

Although maybe its also ok to have models which differ so much, better not to follow the path of VW, where you can hardly distinguish the polo from the touareg.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

m-sport ftw!!!!!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #25
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

M-Sport this M-Sport that. Too many of them floating around. I don't like that when I'm about to own one. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
JerrySpaeder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
You are not alone.

One thing that bothers me about the new X3 is the front. The cut line for the hood on the X1 is higher up like the Z4, new 5 & new 6. It's a safe assumption this trend will continue to the new 1, 3 and across the line.

I think they should have given the X3 the same treatment. I feel like in some ways the X3 is going to be left behind design wise, as the first generation was. The first generation always looked painfully dated and I think this model might be the same.

The X1 already looks more in line with the current trend of the front ends.
+1

I really wanted to like the new X3 but the front end and weird curved creases along the sides ruined it for me. I prefer the front end and sheet metal styling of the X1. And kvetch all you want about how M Sport dilutes the M brand, I like the aggressive look of the body kit on the front.

Looking forward to sitting in an X1 to see and feel the interior up close. Hoping the plastics aren't all hard and nasty. I like the slightly spongy feel of the dash material in my X5d.

If they introduce a 30d version of the X1 M Sport here in the States, I'll gladly open my wallet.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #27
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySpaeder View Post
+1

ILooking forward to sitting in an X1 to see and feel the interior up close. Hoping the plastics aren't all hard and nasty. I like the slightly spongy feel of the dash material in my X5d.
You cannot compare it to a X5, completely in a different class, ie X5s is much more upmarket (and twice the price here).

Materials are more in line with that in a 1-series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySpaeder View Post

If they introduce a 30d version of the X1 M Sport here in the States, I'll gladly open my wallet.
Totally agree. I think its high time they release it in a 3.0d. Will give some impressive performance judging by the the 3.0d X3 figures and will sell like hot cakes in Europe.

I keep on hearing rumours about a performance X1 but still nothing confirmed.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #28
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
Purpose: Coupe-like handling, great-yet-environmentally-conscious power, utilitarian enough for 99% of everyday life.
Coupe-like handling! How about we test it against your car, then we'll see that coupe-like handling you are talking about.
Car looks cheap, and has no environmentally-conscious power.
However, I can see your point about being a workhorse for everyday life.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #29
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Shouldve gotten that .... See, Chrysler designed its version of the X1 6 years earlier...
Attached Images

03-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #30
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
Coupe-like handling! How about we test it against your car, then we'll see that coupe-like handling you are talking about.
Car looks cheap, and has no environmentally-conscious power.
However, I can see your point about being a workhorse for everyday life.
Ok...
I don't really know what you mean by that but no I don't expect the X1 to handle as well as my 335 coupe, but I expect it to handle better than a lot if not most of the coupes on the road today. The 240 bhp turbo l4 was specifically put in this car so it would get great mileage and yet still deliver good power (it will probably be at the top of its class in mileage.) Is there any other reason to put a turbo 4 in any car??

Being in the US, I haven't driven one yet, but I have read several road tests from European sites, and they agree with my summary.

As far as it looking cheap, I don't know what you mean by that. Do you mean compared to the luxury of your Jetta?

I didn't call it a workhorse. I would not call it that at all.
Appreciate 0