XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
DevonTT
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X1

Questions from a new owner

Hi there.

First a bit of history... I owned a BMW 318ti from 1996-2004 and was quite happy with BMW in general. But I wanted to get a crossover, and in 2004, all BMW had was the X3, which to me was just a scaled down X5 and drove like a small SUV instead of a true crossover.

So I bought an Infiniti FX35 new off the lot and drove it for 172,000 miles. That car was phenomenal--I don't have a single bad thing to say about it except the gas mileage kind of sucked. With so many miles on that car, I knew I needed to trade it in soon (and couldn't afford a new car this time), so I started looking at used late model luxury SUVs/crossovers and found a good deal on a 2013 X1 xDrive28i.

It's a one-owner car that I purchased from the BMW pre-owned dealer here in Minnesota. (I bought a 3 yr/30,000 mile warranty just to be on the safe side.) The car is like new and drives like a peach.

But I do have some questions for you seasoned X1 owners. Help me out here:
  1. My X1 did not come with some of the nice features I was used to on the Infiniti, like keyless entry, for example. Is there a retrofit for this?
  2. Even though the FX35 is a crossover, it rode so high that I didn't mind taking it off-road when needed. I'm not sure what the X1 is capable of, with those smaller sport tires. Thoughts?
  3. I need to tint the windows for security purposes. Any advice on this?
  4. My X1 does not have a nav unit. This is a real bummer. What aftermarket GPS units are available that might slide into the compartment where a factory unit would go? Has anyone installed one?
  5. Has anyone installed a tow hitch? Again, with the rear bumper as low as it is, have you run into any issues with towing?
  6. The day after I got my car home, I walked into the garage, looked at the car with new eyes, and it hit me: Did I just buy a station wagon?

Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum. I look forward to learning from you guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonTT View Post
Hi there.
  1. My X1 did not come with some of the nice features I was used to on the Infiniti, like keyless entry, for example. Is there a retrofit for this?
  2. Even though the FX35 is a crossover, it rode so high that I didn't mind taking it off-road when needed. I'm not sure what the X1 is capable of, with those smaller sport tires. Thoughts?
  3. I need to tint the windows for security purposes. Any advice on this?
  4. My X1 does not have a nav unit. This is a real bummer. What aftermarket GPS units are available that might slide into the compartment where a factory unit would go? Has anyone installed one?
  5. Has anyone installed a tow hitch? Again, with the rear bumper as low as it is, have you run into any issues with towing?
  6. The day after I got my car home, I walked into the garage, looked at the car with new eyes, and it hit me: Did I just buy a station wagon?

Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum. I look forward to learning from you guys.
Welcome to our community and enjoy your new ride!

1. Never heard of a BMW X1 (or any newer BMW) without keyless entry. Except you are referring to Comfort Access package which includes driver's settings recognition.
2. The X1 is a capable little off-roader. Please keep in mind that its limitations come just from its dimensions not lack of capabilities. Please read the manual for water/ground clearance. xDrive is one of the best AWD systems out there (seriously speaking). Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't have a spare tire, it is essential to have one or a repair kit with you when going off-road.
3. I tinted mine and I am very happy. Pick what you like.
4. Mine has Navi, There are few posts in here with after market navi systems. Have a look.
5. BMW offers an OEM system that will work properly with your chassis. Just make sure you don't tow more than what the manual suggests.
6. Can't help you with this one. Kind of, The X1 is based on the 3 series touring chassis. There are many benefits from this, including a well tuned chassis, a much more comfortable lower sedan-like seating position, a lower center of gravity that leads to a better handling and experience overall. Include in that that this car has a hydraulic steering and that is a RWD on dry pavement and you have a very fun and capable little car. There are posts in here with members that take them to race track or on true off-road and all are happy with the vehicle. You have some reading to do. It is very stable and very capable, one reason to keep mine around as long as possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #3
DevonTT
Rep

Thanks for your responses, Tracus!

With regard to the keyless entry, I was referring to the ability to unlock the car without the need to press a button on the key fob. I saw a video from some BMW dealer showing how you can just put your hand on the handle and it will unlock. I assume that's part of the Comfort Access package, which my car doesn't have? Or is that standard and I'm just doing it wrong?

No spare tire? Yikes. What happens if you have a flat? You call a tow truck (and hope you're near one)?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

1. The handle unlocking ability is part of Comfort Access package. The vehicle recognizes the key in your pocket and as soon as you touch the handle it adjusts all settings memorized with this key accordingly (seat position, mirrors settings, radio settings, audio volume, climate control settings , etc.) see picture one bellow; if your door handle have these strips on them, you have Comfort Access; if not, you don't.

2. The vehicle comes without a spare tire. You can buy a BMW Mobility Kit for emergency use. I personally gave up the run flats since they make no-sense in Canada; here in 200 km you are in the middle of nowhere and with or without run-flats I am just ending up in the same situation 80 km later. Love the regular tires. RFT have the tendency to get punctured a lot due to their rigidity so this might be something to consider as well. Plus, they are very expensive. Got rid of them and never looked back.
Anyway, I bought a tire plugs kit and I also have a BMW Mobility Kit. Mobility kit is enough, however, just in case I have all off them under my trunk floor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

DevonTT,

You can find all your options in here:

https://www.bmwvin.com/

Input your last 7 of your VIN and you will get your vehicle's options list.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, Tracus!

With regard to the keyless entry, I was referring to the ability to unlock the car without the need to press a button on the key fob. I saw a video from some BMW dealer showing how you can just put your hand on the handle and it will unlock. I assume that's part of the Comfort Access package, which my car doesn't have? Or is that standard and I'm just doing it wrong?
My X1 does not do this either. Not all X1s came with all of the luxury features. On the other hand, having those features cost more.

Quote:
No spare tire? Yikes. What happens if you have a flat? You call a tow truck (and hope you're near one)?
If you have run-flat tires (better go check!) then in some cases, you can make it to a tire store. (I keep an air pump in the trunk anyway, just in case it goes low and to keep it from going flat, if possible.)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

hey OP, welcome! All of those features were options and it seems you got a lightly optioned car. I personally would just see that as a plus (less stuff to fix) and use your smartphone. Hopefully you can stream to the speakers via USB or bluetooth or at the very least the aux cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
DevonTT
Rep

Thanks, all! Very helpful advice.

The car has 50,000 on it but the tires look brand new. They are Pirelli run flat tires. Does anyone know what tires would have been originally on the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Does anyone know what tires would have been originally on the car?
Mine were Goodyear Eagle LS runflat. I think there was also a Pirelli all-season available as well. There were probably summer tire options as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
VacMan1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3, 2015 Msport X1

Quote:
Hi there.

First a bit of history... I owned a BMW 318ti from 1996-2004 and was quite happy with BMW in general. But I wanted to get a crossover, and in 2004, all BMW had was the X3, which to me was just a scaled down X5 and drove like a small SUV instead of a true crossover.

So I bought an Infiniti FX35 new off the lot and drove it for 172,000 miles. That car was phenomenal--I don't have a single bad thing to say about it except the gas mileage kind of sucked. With so many miles on that car, I knew I needed to trade it in soon (and couldn't afford a new car this time), so I started looking at used late model luxury SUVs/crossovers and found a good deal on a 2013 X1 xDrive28i.

It's a one-owner car that I purchased from the BMW pre-owned dealer here in Minnesota. (I bought a 3 yr/30,000 mile warranty just to be on the safe side.) The car is like new and drives like a peach.

But I do have some questions for you seasoned X1 owners. Help me out here:
  1. My X1 did not come with some of the nice features I was used to on the Infiniti, like keyless entry, for example. Is there a retrofit for this? Not that I know of.
  2. Even though the FX35 is a crossover, it rode so high that I didn't mind taking it off-road when needed. I'm not sure what the X1 is capable of, with those smaller sport tires. Thoughts? There are a couple of off-roading threads on this forum. It's all up to how crazy you're willing to get.
  3. I need to tint the windows for security purposes. Any advice on this? I did 15% on my wife's LMB X1, but it's personal preference.
  4. My X1 does not have a nav unit. This is a real bummer. What aftermarket GPS units are available that might slide into the compartment where a factory unit would go? Has anyone installed one? Google maps and bluetooth. Better than any OEM nav from any brand, hands down.
  5. Has anyone installed a tow hitch? Again, with the rear bumper as low as it is, have you run into any issues with towing? What's it rated to tow? 1500lbs? I wouldn't tow with it, but personal preference again.
  6. The day after I got my car home, I walked into the garage, looked at the car with new eyes, and it hit me: Did I just buy a station wagon? It's based on the E91 wagon, so yes you did.

Answers in blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #11
VacMan1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3, 2015 Msport X1

Quote:
Thanks, all! Very helpful advice.

The car has 50,000 on it but the tires look brand new. They are Pirelli run flat tires. Does anyone know what tires would have been originally on the car?
My wife's car came with the 18" wheels and Pirelli all season run flat option. Cannot wait to ditch them.
Appreciate 0