Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Saw my first double on the road

Bought my Midnight Blue sDrive late November 2012. I have seen an increasing number of other X1s since then, but it's still a fairly rare sight, even here in Los Angeles.

All the others I have seen have been other colors - black, white, gray, a couple oranges. Yesterday I finally saw my doppleganger ahead of me on the 405 through SFV. Couldn't catch up to wave or look for other details, as driver was, umm, going a little fast. I was going 70+ but I don't like to get ahead of traffic flow. One thing I noticed - it's important to keep the darker color cars clean. The other Midnight Blue X1 was a little dirty and didn't look great, at least from what I saw.

I suppose if you have one of the more popular color X1s you've seen your share of "doubles." Took over a year for me to see my first!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

We've gotten in a terrible rut with silver cars after a red Honda (and a red Wrangler) that stayed looking clean for about 5 minutes in Westsylvania wintertime splash.
Now I just take the powerwasher to my bride's Audi and my Bimmer; it doesn't make 'em totally clean, but it gets most of it off.

There was a midnight blue in the showroom when we were shopping (it was sharp), but I've done my best to go for practical colors the last while.

Not such a big issue in the California sunshine...
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
MalibuZ4
Breakfast Director
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i (E89)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Bought my Midnight Blue sDrive late November 2012. I have seen an increasing number of other X1s since then, but it's still a fairly rare sight, even here in Los Angeles.

All the others I have seen have been other colors - black, white, gray, a couple oranges. Yesterday I finally saw my doppleganger ahead of me on the 405 through SFV. Couldn't catch up to wave or look for other details, as driver was, umm, going a little fast. I was going 70+ but I don't like to get ahead of traffic flow. One thing I noticed - it's important to keep the darker color cars clean. The other Midnight Blue X1 was a little dirty and didn't look great, at least from what I saw.

I suppose if you have one of the more popular color X1s you've seen your share of "doubles." Took over a year for me to see my first!
Midnight Blue is a really good choice for the X1. I noticed as well an increasing number of X1 in the L.A. area during my last visit this summer. I read about the current nice weather conditions in the South Bay. Enjoy! btw during my annual vacation to Cali I will always stay a week or so in MB, HB and RB. I like it!

2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i; Mojave/Havanna; pure-white nappa trim; BMW Performance wheels 313 19" (garage queen)
2005 BMW Z4 2.0i black sapphire metallic (dd)
1967 Volkswagen 1300 (Bug) survivor 50k mls (garage queen II)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
x1-2012
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post

I bought mine in April 2012 and although it was initially rare to see other X1 on the road, now I see about one or two other X1 on my daily commute to work. Here up north, most popular colors seems to be (in order) silver, white, black, grey and brown... "Glacier Silver" being (seemingly) the most X1's popular color is a bit surprising because most of the 3 Series cars are black(!). As for mine, I obviously have seen few "doubles", however what strike me is that not all of them have the Xenon lights... Xenon really does change the look!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Call me silly (and for you folks in more urban areas, perhaps it is silly), but having a car with the X1's rotten weather ability would seem to demand the Xenon lights...it's 'take me home, country road' here in Westsylvania, and the good lights are a Godsend.
Moon
Appreciate 0