XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #1
brad24
Rep
Drives: 09 SG 135i

H&R vs Eibach Pro, after settling

Hello all, new owner of a '14 X1 35i valencia orange M sport and loving it so far. I'm wanting to lower the car but all of the information I'm finding is quite a few years old. It seemed like everybody went with the H&R springs initially on stock suspension components, and then quickly switched to H&R + Bilstein B6 being the go-to advice on suspension. With current prices, it looks like this setup is around $1100 if I'm checking in the right places.... thats getting pretty close to a set of KW V1's at $1600 ish.

For anybody running H&R springs on the stock suspension, I had seen some comments that after the springs settle, it gets borderline too low, and the ride quality starts to suffer (I'd also be concerned about rubbing) is this the case? Does it not settle this much with B6's?

I can't find a single picture / person who has the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs on stock M sport shocks/struts (or B6's for that matter) - I guess these are what came in the "B12 kit"? It looks like the Eibach Pro Kit advertises roughly 0.9" of drop, vs the 1.4" of H&R - I assume it then settles some more, so you may end up with like 1.25" of drop, which would eliminate the rubbing that some H&R-only people have ended up with?

Any advice in 2022, after some of you putting a lot of miles on lowered cars? If the not-as-low Eibach springs ride well on the stock M sport shocks/struts, this is a lot more cost effective than spending essentially 5x as much on B6 + H&R, or 8x as much on KW V1's.... Let me know what you think!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
4_ring_circus
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Corrado, Audi S4, X1 128xi

First of all suspension settling is dependent on the spring not the shock. Ride height is determined by the spring not the shock. I would thin that the only reason H&R springs rub on stock shocks is that the dampening is softer than the B6 would be and the B6 is made to be paired with lowering spring. Stock shocks on most cars used with springs over 1" drop will wear out very fast.

I have a B12 kit it rides very nice, firmer than stock but still very very nice. This kit is on the primary car in the family and we use it with my 9 month old son, even the wife likes it more than stock. I have zero rubbing issues and it is a mild drop. People do replace the eibach springs with H&R for more of a drop, and I think the H&R are stiffer.
Appreciate 0