Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

11-21-2023, 03:19 PM   #1
jmueller1989
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

Aftermarket Stereo - 2015 X1 xDrive28i

Hello, I just bought a 2015 X1 xDrive28i SUV. I want a true bluetooth stereo where i can still navigate music and stuff through the buttons on the steering wheel. Anyone have any experience with this? Would I be good to just take it to a car audio shop and have them install it, I've read that BMW sometimes has some security features on thing like that. Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #2
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Bremen makes a kit for CarPlay/Android connection, I'm sure that has bluetooth capability.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...1954la02-03~a/
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller1989 View Post
Hello, I just bought a 2015 X1 xDrive28i SUV. I want a true bluetooth stereo where i can still navigate music and stuff through the buttons on the steering wheel. Anyone have any experience with this? Would I be good to just take it to a car audio shop and have them install it, I've read that BMW sometimes has some security features on thing like that. Any advice is appreciated.
What is a true Bluetooth stereo?
I can control my pandora, spotify, prime music with idrive and steering wheel controls on my 2013 X1...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 06:42 PM   #4
jmueller1989
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
What is a true Bluetooth stereo?
I can control my pandora, spotify, prime music with idrive and steering wheel controls on my 2013 X1...
I have the 28xdrivei, the only controls on the wheel is volume and a chanel tuner for radio. only audio options are radio/cd/aux/usb. For whatever reason my relatively new smartphone isn't compatible with the USB feature according to the bmw phone compatibility chart I was referenced to at the dealership. So I want to get a whole new head unit, new amps, speakers, subs. Wanted to know if anyone suggest certain brands or styles. want a back up cam as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:20 PM   #5
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller1989 View Post
So I want to get a whole new head unit, new amps, speakers, subs. Wanted to know if anyone suggest certain brands or styles. want a back up cam as well.
FYI, the setup you described could easily cross $3000 if you replace the head unit. Unless your stock unit has no display or is somehow defective, I'd recommend keeping it. You will throw between 600 and 1200 dollars at replacing it, and that a unit will have no real benefit over stock.

A quality speaker and an amp upgrade could run about $1000, but will be well-spent money. As someone who replaced 20 year old speakers on a previous car with a $200 kit off Amazon, I can attest that cheap speakers sound cheap (what a shock!). The Bavsound speaker kit, a renowned plug-and-play kit, is $600 for the X1. Not cheap, but reasonable compared to custom work.

Also, good bluetooth and backup camera systems can be installed in a cost effective way on the OEM head unit. The Bremmen part I linked earlier ($320) works with cars with navigation, the Tune2Air piece ($90) works with cars that only have aux/dvd. Bremmen also makes a backup camera ($30) that fits flush in the trunk handle.

Bremmen CarPlay/AA kit (Nav/iDrive 3.0 cars)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-...1954la02-03~a/

Tune2Air bluetooth kit (non-nav cars)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-tune2air.../wma3000b~t2a/

Backup camera:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bremmen-.../002480brpc02/
Appreciate 0