12-10-2023, 05:45 AM   #1
BoratsUncle
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xdrive35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X1   [0.00]
Spark plugs and coils

I have just put a jb4 on my X1 and was wondering if I should replace my spark plugs with one step colder ones? I will also be installing a catless downpipe next weekend. N55 engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Yes, replace your plugs. Tunes are known to decrease their lifespan. Even if replacement is a little premature, it's cheap and will help prevent issues.

One step colder should be fine for everyone, but ultimately your driving style dictates if you need to go with a colder plug. If you're using that JB4 to its full potential, it's necessary. Increased boost and high throttle will quickly overheat a plug and cause damage. However, this isn't the case for everyone. For a cruise-control highway commuter, an overly "cold" plug could foul and cause misfires.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
BoratsUncle
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xdrive35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X1   [0.00]
I went with NGK one step colder plugs and Dinan coils. Do you know if I will need to gap the plugs or if I can just plug and play with them?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:37 PM   #4
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

Probably fine to plug and play. If you want to check, it's not a bad idea, but high chance it's unnecessary if you bought real NGK plugs. An OEM product has good quality control to maintain tight specs.

For reference, my NGK 1-colder plugs were within .02" of each other. It was nice to have the peace of mind that they were correct, but I ended up leaving them as is. For the average DIYer, you have a much higher chance of messing them up than getting a real performance gain.
Appreciate 0