Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #1
sudermatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35M

For all those Transmissions tuners...read this first

https://www.puredrivetrainsolutions....ions-about-xhp

" As many of you know we are the leader in the ZF6HP (6 speed) and ZF8HP (8 speed) aftermarket. It’s fair to say we have disassembled, inspected and built more ZF 6/8 speeds than any other performance aftermarket company in the world. A big part of our process is collecting as much data from the tear downs as we can. This is where we can take note of wear patterns, worn out parts, broken parts etc. Along this process we also like to collect data on what the transmissions life was like prior to coming into our facility. This particular write up will be about our findings on the xHP flash tool used in the BMW aftermarket. The xHP is needed for the gen1 B58 and the 6HP platforms as it removes the torque limiters within the TCM to allow a target higher than 550nm. So for this we recommend the xHP stage1 flash. Anything passed the stage1 you are sacrificing reliability for performance and I will talk about a few of these things below. "
      06-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M sport

So, what’s the point of this post? If this is a transmission tuning/ rebuild shop they see broken transmissions and people who want to drive very aggressively and therefore presumably have already been driving their cars very aggressively. Probably in many cases not responsibly.
We know the numerator here (people who bring their car to these folks), but have no idea of the denominator. Their use of the term “data” is highly suspect, although their explanation of how higher stages of xHP could damage a transmission is admittedly worrisome to me as an X1 35i M Sport owner looking to do something to cure the horrible problem with the inadequate original 6 speed transmission.
Are you suggesting I bring my car to this shop (wherever it is) and spend thousands of dollars to get a race transmission installed rather than electronically modify my car for much less money to unlock the potential to make it perform much more like it should?
I’d like to hear what people with valuable experience to share think about this.

Last edited by NMX1; 06-26-2022 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 09:42 AM   #3
sudermatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35M

You might be right. Some people might want to pull all the performance out of their cars and not worry about longevity. That's fine for them. My indy mechanic suggested against it, when I told him I wanted to keep the car for the long run. He said the tunes lower the longevity. This article backs that up.

I just think it's important to have all the information before making your choices.
      06-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

This is why I use a OEM Alpina tune for my 35i...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #5
NMX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M sport

I've been looking around online for info on how to get the Alpina B3 transmission tune without success. Is this something available for DIY installation, or does it require taking it to a dedicated Alpina tuner? I just found out that BMW has acquired Alpina as of earlier this year. Not sure if that means anything but with the concerns about potential transmission damage with TCU flash programming I'm wondering if I shouldn't be considering that issue more, and if an Alpina flash would pose less risk to the tranny.

[Side note: when you search for the "Alpina B3 transmission flash" you get links to the Alpina B3 Touring.

If I had $155k laying around THAT's what I'd do with it!]
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had mine flashed quite easily by a member on another board years ago. I'll see if I can dig it up... it was readily available...
Bimmerfest.com/threads/coded-my-x1.757425/#post-8194078

Last edited by cwickberg; 06-26-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
NMX14.50
      06-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #7
christoph@xHP
Rep
Drives: BMW E30 325i, Lotus Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
This is why I use a OEM Alpina tune for my 35i...
Flashing an Alpina transmission tune on a drivetrain, that was not meant for this can be considered "sub-optimal".

Aside from this, the Alpina transmission-torque converter com with a different stall rate, compared to the non Alpina ones.
support@rbttuning.com
www.xhpflashtool.com
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
christoph@xHP
Rep
Drives: BMW E30 325i, Lotus Elise

http://https://www.puredrivetrainsol...-50-51-stage-0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMX1 View Post
So, what’s the point of this post? If this is a transmission tuning/ rebuild shop they see broken transmissions and people who want to drive very aggressively and therefore presumably have already been driving their cars very aggressively. Probably in many cases not responsibly.
We know the numerator here (people who bring their car to these folks), but have no idea of the denominator. Their use of the term “data” is highly suspect, although their explanation of how higher stages of xHP could damage a transmission is admittedly worrisome to me as an X1 35i M Sport owner looking to do something to cure the horrible problem with the inadequate original 6 speed transmission.
Are you suggesting I bring my car to this shop (wherever it is) and spend thousands of dollars to get a race transmission installed rather than electronically modify my car for much less money to unlock the potential to make it perform much more like it should?
I’d like to hear what people with valuable experience to share think about this.
We have flashed over 100000 transmissions, since the first transmission was flashed, back in over 4 years ago. If there was such an issue as "Pure drivetrain" describes, then all the forums would be full of it. But they are not.

If you do not believe us, you can also visit our Facebook enthusiast group, where our customers can exchange their favourite settings etc. but also have a platform to address issues or request new features etc.

Pure drivetrain are the only ones accuseing our stage 2 and 3 tunes of causing any issues.

Coincidently, their entry level "Stage 0" solution, to be able to drive up to 750 NM on the 8HP5x transmission, does cost significantly more compared to the full xHP Flashstool flash. You could call this a conflict of interest.

We do however have nothing bad to say about their product, as a lot of their customers, running one of their upgraded transmissions, are additionally running xHP and they are all happy.

Just for better understanding: The EGS transmission controller adjusts the line-pressure live, depending on the torque the DME sends to the EGS (transmission controller). This is why for optimal performance you do want an engine tune that does not use "bent torque values.

See our FAQ and our blog article.

"Linepressure bump" just raises the threshold on how high the transmission is allowed to raise the pressure. If you are just cruising around town, requesting not more than stock power levels from your engine, you are not running any more pressure than stock.

I hope this clears things up.
support@rbttuning.com
www.xhpflashtool.com
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:32 AM   #9
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph@xHP View Post
Flashing an Alpina transmission tune on a drivetrain, that was not meant for this can be considered "sub-optimal".

Aside from this, the Alpina transmission-torque converter com with a different stall rate, compared to the non Alpina ones.
My Alpina B3 flash was essentially free...I think I paid less than $100 for all my coding, including all my downloads to reinstall as needed... almost 8 years, over 100k miles never any drivetrain problems... smooths out shifts, tweaks features and was available before your stuff came out

I know you're in business to sell your tune. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 03:22 PM   #10
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph@xHP View Post
http://https://www.puredrivetrainsol...-50-51-stage-0

We have flashed over 100000 transmissions, since the first transmission was flashed, back in over 4 years ago. If there was such an issue as "Pure drivetrain" describes, then all the forums would be full of it. But they are not.

If you do not believe us, you can also visit our Facebook enthusiast group, where our customers can exchange their favourite settings etc. but also have a platform to address issues or request new features etc.

Pure drivetrain are the only ones accuseing our stage 2 and 3 tunes of causing any issues.

Coincidently, their entry level "Stage 0" solution, to be able to drive up to 750 NM on the 8HP5x transmission, does cost significantly more compared to the full xHP Flashstool flash. You could call this a conflict of interest.

We do however have nothing bad to say about their product, as a lot of their customers, running one of their upgraded transmissions, are additionally running xHP and they are all happy.

Just for better understanding: The EGS transmission controller adjusts the line-pressure live, depending on the torque the DME sends to the EGS (transmission controller). This is why for optimal performance you do want an engine tune that does not use "bent torque values.

See our FAQ and our blog article.

"Linepressure bump" just raises the threshold on how high the transmission is allowed to raise the pressure. If you are just cruising around town, requesting not more than stock power levels from your engine, you are not running any more pressure than stock.

I hope this clears things up.
Thanks for chiming in on the e84 board! Just wanted to say thanks for a great product, i'm running xhp stage 2, sport mode and it's probably the best mod on my car. I'm throughly satisfied, and don't hesitate to recommend your product, as i've been blown away at the positive difference in driveability it's made.
Appreciate 1
darkrom188.00