XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
NorthIsUp
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Cold air coming in through the dash

Does anyone else notice this? When at highway speeds on a cold day I noticed that cold air flows through the left side of the steering column, hitting around the area where the cruise control is.

The X1 can be up to normal operating temps with the heat on and I feel that cold air coming in there.

Put your left hand near the cruise control feeling towards the dash and feel for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Haven't felt it. Did your foam fall out?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
NorthIsUp
Rep

Thanks. Not that I'm aware of. Just noticed it this week. After 7k miles, you think I'd have noticed it before, but I hadn't. Check the next time you're on the highway and it's cold out. Brrr. Adds to the chill.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

I feel the cold air coming through the CD slot area when the heat is on !
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthIsUp View Post
Does anyone else notice this? When at highway speeds on a cold day I noticed that cold air flows through the left side of the steering column, hitting around the area where the cruise control is.

The X1 can be up to normal operating temps with the heat on and I feel that cold air coming in there.

Put your left hand near the cruise control feeling towards the dash and feel for it.
I was checking today, no cold air in mine. Actually was warm on the window vents and the side heating vents as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
I feel the cold air coming through the CD slot area when the heat is on !
Your CD is spinning too fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
NorthIsUp
Rep

OK. It happens when it's real cold outside, in the neighborhood of under 20 degrees F (-6 C) and highway speeds. Held my hand to the left side opening where the steering column enters the dash. It was cold air for sure. I don't feel it in the 30 degree F range (-1 C).

Car was at operating temperature and I mixed up the air vents from floor to dash to front vents and combinations of the three and none. This was not related to the fan or heater at all. Just blowing in the wind (pun intended).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthIsUp View Post

Have you tried closing the air vents. Try the 3 air distribution settings on the left at mixed off/on. Are both temperatures turned up. I think the main one would be the Automatic Air Recirculation Control - BMW told me Press for 1'st light, lets outside air in through filter. Press again for 2'nd light which stops outside air coming in. Has dealer sorted and explained.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, M3 E92 DCT, 1M VO

I have the exact same problem. from the left side and tried closing all the vents and everything. You can only feel it during cold days. Planning to take my car to the dealer to have this checked.
Appreciate 0