Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

X1 Alloy Wheel Parameters

Howdy!

Does anybody know the exact wheel parameters to make sure wheels fit X1 setup? I've just got my X1 and it had summer wheels (V-Spoke 317 with sleek Pirelli's Runflats).
Winter is coming here in Russia and I am thinking about changing to winter wheels / tyres.
The weird thing here is that BMW Russland seems to know about X1 about as much as I know Deutsch. I mean, it's ridiculous guys. When I came to one of the dealers here in St. Pete, I found out that folks there didn't even heard about X1. Geez, talking with most of them is just a complete waste of time and money. Thinking about contacting dealers in Finland.

Until then, I am thinking about purchasing a set of wheels and tyres myself. Obviously, I need to know some parameters before purchasing the wheels (well, I think so, I may be wrong).

Since I am new to all these auto stuff (that's my first car ever), I would appreciate you guys help me to get the correct wheels.

I found some details on a German site.
I see that V-Spokes 317 are 7,5Jx17 225/50 R17 H. I think I need some more info to purchase the proper wheels.

Since the delivery is really slow (in my experience) here in Russia, I am thinking about purchasing 'temporary' Replica's until I get the genuine BMW's wheel. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Are you going to use the same rims? If so then its easy, you pretty much stick to the same as what you have, ie use 225/50 R17 H winter tyres.

If you are getting new rims you have to use the sizes approved for the X1. Your tyres will then have to match up with the approved rims, if that makes sense.

The one thing that I am not sure of is where run flats fit into things. As far as I know you cannot fit non-runflats to a run-flat rim. Can you however fit non-run flat rims to a car thats been prepped for runflats?

This site may help you figure out what all the sizes mean:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Hope this helps you a bit
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Hi, Mario!

Thanks for the quick reply.

What would you suggest? Currently I am planning not to use the same rims. The other guy told me it isn't a good idea to replace the Runflats as they degrade with each tyre change. I don't know if it's so though...

Would you recommend to leave these base V-spokes with summer tyres alone and purchase the new set of rims plus winter tyres? Or would it be best to stick with current rims and end-up with replacing Pirellies? "My head is getting broken and my mind is getting bust!" (c) Deep Purple.

So currently I plan to buy new rims and new winter tyres. And the problem is I don't know what would be the proper characteristics I should base on when choosing the proper rims.

On a number of stores I found the information that sDrive 1.8d uses these rims:
7.5J17 5x120 ET34 Dia72.6

Surprisingly, the accessories doc on the German site lists V-Spoke 317 as 7J17. Duh, I wonder who is right.

Seesh, the User guide is full of "contact with your dealer". Uhh... The one who wrote the has never had any experience contacting Russian dealers.
I'll leave alone the Russian version of the User guide. If I threw the English guide to the Google translate, I swear, the translation quality would be times better than the one implemented in the Russian version of the guide I own.

Thanks once again. Hoping for the further help.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic Hadron View Post
Hi, Mario!

Hi EH,

You are welcome but I am no expert! However, I would suggest that you get a separate set of rims and tyres. Regardless of whether its better to leave the run flats on or not there is always a danger of damage to the rims/tyres every time you take them off. Having a separate set means you can just change them yourself as well. If you are going to use chains a cheaper set of steel rims or alloys for winter also makes sense.

I have not taken delivery of my X1 yet (three weeks to go ) but have ordered the same rim/tyre combination as you. As I plan to take my X1 on some skiing trips I have done a fair bit of research on winter tyres/chains as they are not that common here. I still have to find a set of rims but the official choices for the X1 are 7.5Jx17 and 8Jx18. These are the only ones I am sure about although I understand you can also fit 9Jx18 at the rear. Thats not to say that others will not fit, just that I know these do fit. Also make sure that its the 5-bolt type on a 120mm circumference (thats the 5x120 on the rim). The offset figure (ET34) can vary by 1-2mm but to be safe try and get it at the recommended 34mm. If this varies too much the tyre may rub when you turn or interfere with the suspension.

Anyway, as I said I still have to find some rims but a local dealer can source the tyres for me. So far I have narrowed it down to either Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 RFT or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ZP. Both of these are available in the correct 225/50 R17 size and can be ordered as runflats.

Hope this helps.

PS: Stick to runflats, you don't want to get stuck in a blizzard with a flat!

PPS: Just seen on a site that sells rims that the spec for a X1 is PCD : 5x120 Offset : 30 to 50 Bore : 72.6. These are on 17" to 20". Surprised by the allowed variation in the offset! Must be due to the large clearance in the wheel arches.

Anyone with more experience care to comment?

Last edited by mario486; 09-08-2010 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
Arti
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Howdy!

Does anybody know the exact wheel parameters to make sure wheels fit X1 setup? I've just got my X1 and it had summer wheels (V-Spoke 317 with sleek Pirelli's Runflats).
Winter is coming here in Russia and I am thinking about changing to winter wheels / tyres.
The weird thing here is that BMW Russland seems to know about X1 about as much as I know Deutsch. I mean, it's ridiculous guys. When I came to one of the dealers here in St. Pete, I found out that folks there didn't even heard about X1. Geez, talking with most of them is just a complete waste of time and money. Thinking about contacting dealers in Finland.

Until then, I am thinking about purchasing a set of wheels and tyres myself. Obviously, I need to know some parameters before purchasing the wheels (well, I think so, I may be wrong).

Since I am new to all these auto stuff (that's my first car ever), I would appreciate you guys help me to get the correct wheels.

I found some details on a German site.
I see that V-Spokes 317 are 7,5Jx17 225/50 R17 H. I think I need some more info to purchase the proper wheels.

Since the delivery is really slow (in my experience) here in Russia, I am thinking about purchasing 'temporary' Replica's until I get the genuine BMW's wheel. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Hello!

I am also from Russia (St.Petersburg) and also have visited a lot of dealers before the purchasing of my brand new X1 (and it is also X1 sDrive18 but i). So I will disagree with - in Eurosib I was told about correct sizes of wheels but the price was enormous, so I`v checked Replica`s wheels - but the quality was awful, so I recommend you to look at WSP Italy clones
http://wspitaly-wheels.com.ua/wsp_italy_bmw.html b.e.
7,5Х17 5Х120 34 72,6 SILVER 205

the good choice
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
Arti
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18i

Quote:
Hi, Mario!

Thanks for the quick reply.

What would you suggest? Currently I am planning not to use the same rims. The other guy told me it isn't a good idea to replace the Runflats as they degrade with each tyre change. I don't know if it's so though...

Would you recommend to leave these base V-spokes with summer tyres alone and purchase the new set of rims plus winter tyres? Or would it be best to stick with current rims and end-up with replacing Pirellies? "My head is getting broken and my mind is getting bust!" (c) Deep Purple.

So currently I plan to buy new rims and new winter tyres. And the problem is I don't know what would be the proper characteristics I should base on when choosing the proper rims.

On a number of stores I found the information that sDrive 1.8d uses these rims:
7.5J17 5x120 ET34 Dia72.6

Surprisingly, the accessories doc on the German site lists V-Spoke 317 as 7J17. Duh, I wonder who is right.

Seesh, the User guide is full of "contact with your dealer". Uhh... The one who wrote the has never had any experience contacting Russian dealers.
I'll leave alone the Russian version of the User guide. If I threw the English guide to the Google translate, I swear, the translation quality would be times better than the one implemented in the Russian version of the guide I own.

I think you live in another Russia or you don`t like your country ))) Russia has a lot of problems,of course, but lets show it from a better view to our foreign friends? The manual translation is correct, I`v checked the English one and it is the same. So...OK, I wish you to buy good wheels! )))
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Hi Arti,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

Second, I wasn't saying I don't love my country. If I were, please receive my excuses. Please do not mix the things up.
What I was about to say that the quality of service here (I've visited two of the BMWs dealers here) is of no compare to what I expected to get based on my experience in my communications with other representatives worldwide.

Regarding the translation... Ummm. Well, let's provide some examples. Open the first (!) page of the manual and find at least 2 errors. If you can't, that's okay to you and myself but it's not okay for BMW!
Open pages 4 and 5 and find out inconsistencies within the boxes. Open pages 10 and 9 and find yet more inconsistencies (see Рычаг поворотного кулака, for example).

If they were professional translators, didn't they know that the "steering lever stop" is "рычаг рулевого управления"? Why do they mix infinitive form "открыть" with the verbal noun "открывание"? What is "открывание"? Open page 55 (English version) and page 53 (Russian version) and read the Kick-down section. That's what we have in Russian version: "С помощью режима Kick-down достигается максимальная мощность, затрачиваемая на движение". Oh, my! That's what it is: "Maximum performance is achieved by the kick-down. " Isn't it ridiculous, huh? Car performance is how effective it performs, how effective it can start and increase its speed. Where have they seen any bit of "power consumed by motion"??? You'd tell me that's not important? What if I tell you that when I asked the other BMW's representative in one of the dealer's offices about how do I shift the gearbox down using the throttle pedal what have they told me? You know what they've told me? "Nothing how you can do that in BMW"! It's only available in Mercedes where it's implemented using the special key button. How do ya like it? When even in dealership ppl don't know how it works, and if it works at all, how do you think I feel when I read the text like this? Does it explain the Kick-down functionality in a proper way?

I am reading further to the text. I've never driven an automatic gearbox car before. I am interested in using BMW's automatic gearbox which as I'm aware of is the one-of-a-kind automatic transmissions available of the market today. I expect it provide granular information as precisely as you expect it from the maker as BMW. Instead, what I get? In the "Активирование спортивной программы" section available on the page 53 you may see a paragraph which reads: "Нажмите рычаг селектора из положения D влево". If there is somebody out there to show me how to "click left", I would be grateful for them to show me the magic. This is nothing else but a poorly made machine translation of "push".

The most fascinating cite here would be "Это положение рекомендуется для движения с ориентацией на конечный результат". For our non-russian-speaking friends over there I'm translating it: "This state is recommended when moving with orientation for the final result in mind".

If somebody out there was so patient to read to this line, here is my little quiz: what do you think this sentence sounds like in English version of the Manual? Make you guess, gentlemen.

What scares me is translation of the following phrase in the DTC section: "The system ensures maximum drive with lim-ited driving stability in special road conditions e.g. on snow-covered road surfaces". It has been translated to: " "Система обеспечивает при особых состояниях дорожного покрытия, например, занесённые снегом дороги, максимальное поступательное движение при ограниченной устойчивости". This isn't the "поступательное движение", this is "привод!" There is no such a word as "linear motion" in English version of this phrase, isn't it?

If that wasn't BMW, I wouldn't start any ranting here. But since this is BMW… I can't just sit and keep mum.

And, yeah, when you can copy text from English version, you can't do that in Russian version. It's restricted!

If you read to the English manual, it's highly legible and easy to read, you see it's professionally made, it's all quality like within the BMW. If you open the Russian manual… No comments.

Regarding all the other problems. I think that Russia today has much more potential that the country has ever had before in the recent past. If it wasn't so, I wouldn't be able to buy the X1.

BTW, been to Eurosib, but stuck to AVTODOM. Guys in AVTODOM were MUCH more into the know about what they sell and how you should sell when you represent the company such as BMW.
Mrs. Kseniya over there, she called me 5 (!) FIVE month later I visited the delalership to order my beemer in Eurosib only to ask me if I am still interested in it. Of course, I told her to I am happy to have driven the car for yet more than a month. You know WHAT DID SHE ASK ME ABOUT? "Is it the X1 version assembled in Kaliningrad?" Duh, she didn't even know that assembling line hasn't been launched yet! Outstanding professionalism! Oh, for God's sake, Kseniya!

And... last but not least. Open the BMW USA's site and go compare it with BMW Russia's site. Do we have car delivery tracking? Do we have a PDF file with accessories like we have on the German site?

If somebody at BMW is interested it more info, I would be pleased to reply.

Last edited by Exotic Hadron; 09-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Duh, typos. Lotsa...
Appreciate 0