XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Door Speaker - BMW Service Complaint

Hi all, so last Oct my passenger door midrange speaker failed at approx 49,500mi. I have HiFi sound system not Harmon Kardon. Well, last month the same speaker failed again. This weekend took to BMW service and they said it was out of warranty and not covered by extended warranty. I complained and said the problem was not diagnosed properly the first time since deep bass signals should be routed to woofers under the seats, not a 4.5in. door speaker.

After trying to beat me up and make me feel stupid, he said they had this DRM program for out of warranty issues that come up but there was no cap space left. He said my 2013 X1 was not so old to be ineligible. This sounds suspect and I think he was blowing smoke. Anyone heard of this type of dealer program or should I inform BMW corporate in Woodcliff, NJ? I think the tech was supposed to run a diagnostic back in Oct but he may not have. Could it be a faulty crossover in the amp?

Need your thoughts....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty View Post
Hi all, so last Oct my passenger door midrange speaker failed at approx 49,500mi. I have HiFi sound system not Harmon Kardon. Well, last month the same speaker failed again. This weekend took to BMW service and they said it was out of warranty and not covered by extended warranty. I complained and said the problem was not diagnosed properly the first time since deep bass signals should be routed to woofers under the seats, not a 4.5in. door speaker.

After trying to beat me up and make me feel stupid, he said they had this DRM program for out of warranty issues that come up but there was no cap space left. He said my 2013 X1 was not so old to be ineligible. This sounds suspect and I think he was blowing smoke. Anyone heard of this type of dealer program or should I inform BMW corporate in Woodcliff, NJ? I think the tech was supposed to run a diagnostic back in Oct but he may not have. Could it be a faulty crossover in the amp?

Need your thoughts....

I've never heard of this.... if the speaker is malfunctioning again maybe they never fixed it in the first place, it was a broken port that they just taped and now its loose again. You'd be surprised how much "good enough" dealers do.

Secondly it could be the amp/cross over causing these issues, or no inline Low Pass Filter destroying the speaker. Without narrowing it down its hard to tell... maybe water is getting in the door, maybe the leads are bad, maybe maybe maybe, keep digging.
Appreciate 0