02-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Gear Changes in X1 E84 20d

Hi
I have 2011 X1 20d Automatic which is on 86K miles now.

I had it from one year and it was used second hand from the dealer.

I have never felt any issue however I have second car which is 320d E90 with 40K miles.

While, I was driving X1, I was fine.
However when E90 is my daily and E84 belongs to Mrs so I drive that often.

E90 is very smooth compared to E84 whereas E84 being AWD, has some hesitation in gear changes. This is well known fact and documented by many car reviewers mentioning that car does not want to change the gears smoothly.

Well, considering it is normal, I have no issues.

I just want to ask others if they observed this pattern;

1- When car is cold, gear changes are fine.

2- When car is warm and you drive it in stop drive conditions, it feels like gears are loose especially in the first and second gear. So when you accelerate the car quickly and take your foot off the pedal and you feel very light jerk which mimics the feeling of loose 'clutch' which you feel manual. This is the best I can describe it. There is no clunk or noise and it is just a feeling. I asked my wife about it and after paying attention, she felt the same.

Now, inpa gives no error what so ever as I routinely check the errors on both cars every three months to avoid any issues in the future. Car has never been updated and on 2011 software since it left the factory.

Now, I am not sure if this is due to being X drive and something to do with 60-40% when car is warmed up or it is something to do with the gearbox.

I do not feel this in my e90 but again that is RWD.

Has anybody felt similar symptoms? Am I panicking and this is normal especially when inpa has no code errors?

Any UK fellow members? Especially in Essex?

Thanks.