XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
jaminroe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV

Question Scheduled maintenance guide/document?

This is my first post here, so hello folks

I own an i3 and very happy. I am getting a KLE update on it today, so I got an X1 as a loaner vehicle. I'm really enjoying it and my wife loves it. We're always keeping an eye out for cars we like to replace my wife's 2005 Elantra when it dies. Anyways, on to my question.

Is there a document somewhere that has a table of the the recommended scheduled maintenance? For our two past Hyundai's for example, I could simply sign in and find a PDF that had all the maintenance stuff laid out in a nice table based on usage and mileage. Is BMW trying to avoid people doing their own maintenance or something?? I just like to have these things available so I can plan around it. I also use a nice mobile app called Auto Care, which I can setup reminders for reoccurring maintenance, based on gas fill-ups. The paid version is well worth it.

Once my 4 year maintenance program is expired, this is when this sort of thing really comes in handy. I don't want to rely on the dealership for this stuff. I'm sure many of you understand this.

I've seen a guideline online somewhere that showed maintenance was every 15K miles? I've never heard of a car that gets oil changes only every 15K, usually it's like 7500. If this is true, that's impressive! Are all BMW's like that? Since I have almost no maintenance required on my i3, I have no idea. It's my first BMW. My i3 lets me know when maintenance is coming up on the iRemote app and in the iDrive. I have the latest model, so this X1 iDrive system seems a bit outdated.

Thanks!

Last edited by jaminroe; 03-25-2015 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

That's correct 15k oil changes or once a year low mileage oil changes. The car will tell you what service is due through the iDrive screen.
      03-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
jaminroe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps View Post
That's correct 15k oil changes or once a year low mileage oil changes. The car will tell you what service is due through the iDrive screen.
Thanks! Wow well I must say that's impressive. Very different from Japanese and Korean cars I'm used to. I just want to make sure I'm on top of maintenance if I get one. I've read too many stories and advice about how German cars recently aren't very reliable compared to the average, unless you're really on top of maintaining it. Thankfully I am with every car I own.

Have you guys found that there are a lot of silly little things that break or have issues with your BMW?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Kevman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 x30i

It was changed to every 10,000 miles as of 2014. Now that I am out of my 4/50 maintenance, I will do it every 10k.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Trout34
Fly fisher
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: XI SE petrol

[QUOTE=jaminroe;17

Have you guys found that there are a lot of silly little things that break or have issues with your BMW?[/QUOTE]

Yes the wing mirrors do not fold in automatically when you lock the car!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
jaminroe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout34 View Post
Yes the wing mirrors do not fold in automatically when you lock the car!!
Haha yeah true.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminroe View Post
Haha yeah true.
Is it possible to code it so that it does? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Trout34
Fly fisher
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: XI SE petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmr View Post
Is it possible to code it so that it does? Thanks.
I believe so ,but cannot find anyone in UK locally to do it ,and do not want to risk doing it myself
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 01:01 PM   #9
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The maintenance guide BMW would give you, is horseshit anyways. I wouldn't ever recommend waiting 15k mi to change the oil. Especially the garbage Castrol oil BMW uses.

What BMW tells you to do for upkeep is the absolute bare minimum to keep the car running. I suspect their engineers were told to make the plan based on a vehicle being leased for the duration of the warranty period. After that, they don't care. In fact, their plan probably ensures that your vehicle will be in their shops more often to get more money out of you in repairs.

If you plan on keeping your car until it dies, plan on doing more than what BMW recommends. And start doing it long before the 4/50k warranty expires. There's also other things which BMW doesn't say needs to be done, but should still be done in order to get the most out of your car.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
b00gers
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
If you plan on keeping your car until it dies, plan on doing more than what BMW recommends. And start doing it long before the 4/50k warranty expires. There's also other things which BMW doesn't say needs to be done, but should still be done in order to get the most out of your car.
Is there a guide?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Quote:
The maintenance guide BMW would give you, is horseshit anyways. I wouldn't ever recommend waiting 15k mi to change the oil. Especially the garbage Castrol oil BMW uses.
Not to hijack but now we cant say garbage Castrol anymore, its garbage shell now. I found out when I went to buy a quart yesterday. My parts guy says the only did it so they could have a BMW only label on it.

http://www.shell.com/global/products...-supplier.html
      03-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #12
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps View Post
That is not right. My first oil change light came on at 4500 miles. It is showing now that I will have my second one at 12000 miles. The service intervals are based on how you drive the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #13
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

What BMW tells you to do for upkeep is the absolute bare minimum to keep the car running. I suspect their engineers were told to make the plan based on a vehicle being leased for the duration of the warranty period. After that, they don't care. In fact, their plan probably ensures that your vehicle will be in their shops more often to get more money out of you in repairs.

I think the changes are based on European laws. The goal of which to not needlessly damage the environment. For example in European cars there isn't a metal cased filter that gets thrown away with each oil change. Synthetic oils hold up a long time. I guess people have been brain washed by Jiffy Lube and similar companies.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #14
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I've done laboratory tests on just about every brand of oil and type. I would never use even a synthetic for more than 7500 mi, even kms is a long time. Castro oil performed poorly against every test we put it through. Their synthetics failed tests that some brands dino oils passed.

Next time you do an oil change at 15000 mi or whatever BMW recommends, have your oil tested at an independent lab. You'll be shocked how poorly your oil was lubricating.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've done laboratory tests on just about every brand of oil and type. I would never use even a synthetic for more than 7500 mi, even kms is a long time. Castro oil performed poorly against every test we put it through. Their synthetics failed tests that some brands dino oils passed.

Next time you do an oil change at 15000 mi or whatever BMW recommends, have your oil tested at an independent lab. You'll be shocked how poorly your oil was lubricating.
BMW doesn't recommend 15k it is based on how you drive the car like I said. On my current driving style I will never get anywhere close to 15k. My last car a Volvo SUV recommended 10k on a synthetic blend which I followed. My engine was doing fine with 90k plus miles when I sold it. I feel better with the BMW telling me when to change my oil,based on conditions.

And I think it is ludicrous to suggest BMW is hopeful of engine failures as soon as your warranty expires. A ton of cars with engine failures before 100k would be terrible for their reputation.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #16
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminroe View Post
Thanks! Wow well I must say that's impressive. Very different from Japanese and Korean cars I'm used to. I just want to make sure I'm on top of maintenance if I get one. I've read too many stories and advice about how German cars recently aren't very reliable compared to the average, unless you're really on top of maintaining it. Thankfully I am with every car I own.

Have you guys found that there are a lot of silly little things that break or have issues with your BMW?
I find if you a company includes maintenance during warranty there are long time between services and if it's not included services are frequent. This seems to be true no matter what country of origin.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 11:46 PM   #17
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

My plan is to do what I did with my Speed. Every 5-7k depending on if I did a track day.

Also from what I understand, when it says 12k miles, it means that is how long to go until the next service, not the mileage it is due.

As far as Castrol being crap, does that include the German made stuff? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #18
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

I did the 15k ish oil changes on my e90 and at 100k the engine internals, viewed when I replaced valve cover and oil pan gaskets, looked great. I know that's not very scientific For results but I haven't experienced any oil related failures in any of my cars yet with one exception but it was a catastrophic leak.
Appreciate 0