Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
Competition agree with the absense of dipstick. Really wish I had a way to see the state the oil is in. It's been almost a year since my oil change and I'm getting worried that the oil needs renewal.
Should be changed annually regardless of mileage

How does tpms reduce the wheel choices? Can't you just add tpms
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #24
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

One can open oil cap, and get very good idea of color of oil.

Oil can stay in engine for years without hurting anything, but don't tell your dealer. Read BITOG.com for lots more oil info and Used oil analysis.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #25
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
I would much prefer TPMS to be honest. The ABS based system is not at all sensitive - took my rear tire going to 28 psi before it threw the warning. The time before that it only threw the warning at 26 psi for the front tire. So basically almost 10 psi difference before it notices

The sensors I had in my Impreza told me within 5 psi.

Edit: my X1 currently has. 17" alloys with non RFT tires. I imagine if I have lower profile sidewalls and RFT then the system won't notice a leak until the tires are literally flat.
I would also suspect that the TPMS sensors would be more accurate. On my VW, it used the rotation method (no sensor), and I didn't get a low tire warning until it was way too low. However, that was sufficient warning for me to fill with air and get it to a tire place and not have to replace the tire. :-)

As for sensors and RFT, I'm not sure I see the point, but OK! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #26
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
One can open oil cap, and get very good idea of color of oil.

Oil can stay in engine for years without hurting anything, but don't tell your dealer. Read BITOG.com for lots more oil info and Used oil analysis.
I did a quick read, and he says that over an "extended time" whatever that is, it will thicken, even synthetic.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-102/
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #27
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

They mean used time. Oil is really used up by time it thickens, but many people doing used oil analysis' find that 10k miles, and several years is fine for oil in many cars.

I used to have stored motor oil for years at my fuel business, and ran analysis on many types of oil.

I hear people that have expensive stored cars which they drive 100 miles a year go several years without change as do I with an unused car or two.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #28
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
I would much prefer TPMS to be honest. The ABS based system is not at all sensitive - took my rear tire going to 28 psi before it threw the warning. The time before that it only threw the warning at 26 psi for the front tire. So basically almost 10 psi difference before it notices
I'm finding in the 5-8 psi range on my wheel speed systems. That's plenty of sensitivity for me.

You really prefer TPMS? With all the added costs? If you have multiple sets of wheels, that's extra sensor costs. Then there's added costs every time you mount and balance wheels w/TPMS. The batteries die, they occasionally fail, etc. And the last thing, of course, is the fact that's it's just another government mandate in the U.S., a completely misguided, knee-jerk response to the Ford Explorer/Firestone problems of the late 80s/90s.

IMHO, no way is it worth literally hundreds of dollars to have a few psi better sensitivity.

Remember when cars didn't have any of these systems? And you had to look at your tires in the morning, and check them every week or two? What ever did we do.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 01-18-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #29
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

No argument that it's worth it for everyone. But I'm not the only driver so would really prefer to know as soon as it happens.

Plus for FTM it needs a few miles to even identify there's an issue... So you could set off with severely under inflated tires and not know till you're a few miles from home.

All this is of course worsened when using run flats.

Can't wait until airless tires are commonplace. No more punctures!!! :-D
Appreciate 0