Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-07-2022, 11:18 PM   #23
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
no worries on the quoting. I only did it because I was responding to a lot of messages. I immediately went towards newer one, just because of low mileage, etc. I can totally see the older ones and the archaic infotainment center. I thought the X1 was "bad", coming from a Genesis, but wow!

They are definitely appealing to me. I may have to go look for one. The one close to me is the modern 4 cyl. While I like the sound of the I6, finding a low mileage 2016 might not be feasible.

How was yours on the reliability front? any issues? How many miles were on it when you sold it?

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for the info. Back when 2G went to 3G, I still have like 4 years remaining on my subscription, so I opted to get it "upgraded". Really, the biggest things for me are the theft detection and the cell phone app to unlock my car. I've used that quite a bit and I am going to miss it.
If you can find a polestar to check out, it's worth it, especially if you like and can find a wagon. Finding any 2015 or 16's are hard because they hardly made any - 40 sedans in '15, 80 wagons, and the 2016 numbers were a little higher with 50-100 of each. I bought mine with 30k miles on it and sold it 6 months later 32k, so I never had any issues, but obviously didn't have it very long, and had 3 cars at the time. Covid therapy if you will.

I imagine if enough people complain to BMWUSA, they might do something similar with 3G sunsetting, but who knows.

I still say run the X1 into the ground or then swap for the lowest mileage good one you can find, but obviously, they're a lil small, so may not always make sense for people long-term. I'm at just over 3 years on mine and creeping up to 40k miles, 39,500 something I think, though had 30k when I got my '14 35i m-sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 12:34 AM   #24
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
I'm generally in the same boat with my daughter and her X1 35i... it has over 100k miles on it. Looked at the GLA and it was really awful. Also looked at Audi ... these were late model CPO... She decided to keep her X1 because the car is so well balanced between drive ability and power... most of the troublesome items have already been taken off...

Let us know what your decide. I'm not wed to BMW like I was in the past... their newer products are certainly not ultimate driving machines any longer
I must be going through a mid life crisis....my list is 1. MANUAL Supra that doesn't exist 2. GR86 3. Nissan Z 4. Mustang GT. I could for sure be ok money-wise with keeping the X1 if I go GR86, but the other options might not be comfortable with the $$$. 1, 3, and 4 are more of just pipe dreams for now, but the GR86 is most likely going to be it.
      04-13-2022, 01:56 PM   #25
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
I must be going through a mid life crisis....my list is 1. MANUAL Supra that doesn't exist 2. GR86 3. Nissan Z 4. Mustang GT. I could for sure be ok money-wise with keeping the X1 if I go GR86, but the other options might not be comfortable with the $$$. 1, 3, and 4 are more of just pipe dreams for now, but the GR86 is most likely going to be it.
Well, supposedly a manual supra may come later this year lest it lose sales to a manual Z.

I've seriously considered a BRZ as I like that front end a little more and want silver (GR86 not offered in silver), but have you driven a GR86? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Sadly, there are so few of these around to see, sit in, and drive. I know you can order one, but I have a hard time ordering a car I've never seen or driven in person. BRZ/GR86 sure seem like the best bang for the buck cars out there and last of their breed.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 02:31 PM   #26
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Well with the way things are new ICE vehicles will be phased out soon therefore forcing us to buy EVs. These cars listed here might be the last hurrah... Get 'em while you can.

I kinda want a C8.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:50 AM   #27
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Well, supposedly a manual supra may come later this year lest it lose sales to a manual Z.

I've seriously considered a BRZ as I like that front end a little more and want silver (GR86 not offered in silver), but have you driven a GR86? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Sadly, there are so few of these around to see, sit in, and drive. I know you can order one, but I have a hard time ordering a car I've never seen or driven in person. BRZ/GR86 sure seem like the best bang for the buck cars out there and last of their breed.
GR86 is offered in silver (Steel). They also have the dark gray (Pavement) that you might be getting mixed up with? I've never driven a GR86 nor the previous generation, I'm just going off of Youtube reviews/falling for the "vote with your wallet" to save the manuals/affordable sports cars. If I could get a premium manual GR86 in Neptune blue at MSRP, I'd sign the papers and drive it off the lot today and keep my X1.
      04-14-2022, 01:00 AM   #28
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Well with the way things are new ICE vehicles will be phased out soon therefore forcing us to buy EVs. These cars listed here might be the last hurrah... Get 'em while you can.

I kinda want a C8.
Deep down everyone has to want a C8 too! But I'm being stubborn and considering manual trans only and with markups it's out of my budget. If I could get a C8 for MSRP my stubbornness for the stick would magically disappear and I'd have to use some financial gymnastics to become a proud 'vette owner and lover of bald eagles.

Last edited by solidsleeper; 04-14-2022 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 03:30 PM   #29
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
GR86 is offered in silver (Steel). They also have the dark gray (Pavement) that you might be getting mixed up with? I've never driven a GR86 nor the previous generation, I'm just going off of Youtube reviews/falling for the "vote with your wallet" to save the manuals/affordable sports cars. If I could get a premium manual GR86 in Neptune blue at MSRP, I'd sign the papers and drive it off the lot today and keep my X1.
Ah, you're right. Maybe I just preferred the BRZ front end and wanted in silver so made that easy, even though my initials are GR and it'd be nice to have my badges on everything.

I'm in the same boat as you and having to rely on others' opinions and so may just have to take a leap. It's possible to get a brz/86 at MSRP, you just may have to work a bit and travel a bit to find a dealer who will do it. Even then, you may have to order and wait a few months. I'm with you though, going the "cheap" route in terms of new cars and getting one of the toyaburu twins might also let me keep the X1, too. Figure it out for me and let me know. =P
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #30
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Deep down everyone has to want a C8 too! But I'm being stubborn and considering manual trans only and with markups it's out of my budget. If I could get a C8 for MSRP my stubbornness for the stick would magically disappear and I'd have to use some financial gymnastics to become a proud 'vette owner and lover of bald eagles.
Bought an allocation on new C8 when they first went on market. Sold it for about $5k two months later. It's the best corvette if that's what you want but not my desire.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2022, 02:28 AM   #31
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Ah, you're right. Maybe I just preferred the BRZ front end and wanted in silver so made that easy, even though my initials are GR and it'd be nice to have my badges on everything.

I'm in the same boat as you and having to rely on others' opinions and so may just have to take a leap. It's possible to get a brz/86 at MSRP, you just may have to work a bit and travel a bit to find a dealer who will do it. Even then, you may have to order and wait a few months. I'm with you though, going the "cheap" route in terms of new cars and getting one of the toyaburu twins might also let me keep the X1, too. Figure it out for me and let me know. =P
lol please don't get the GR86 just because your initials, buy some GR badges and slap them on the BRZ

The more I look at the BRZ the more I like the front bumper, but my perceived image of Toyota gives it to the GR86, must be Toyota's marketing team. I'd probably agree with your preference of the BRZ front bumper because it flows better with the rest of the car. The GR86 has a more aggressive look with its sharper nose. The only thing that bugs me about the BRZ front bumper is the front license plate mounting molding that is built into the bumper. The GR86 does have a molding for the front license plate too, but it's a little less noticeable. On the BRZ it's the furthest point of the front bumper and pokes out. Such a little thing, but this will be the thing I hold onto to justify going Toyota lol.

In this current market, it seems if you blindly buy one at MSRP and decide you don't like the car on your drive home, you'll probably make money selling it the next day. I actually do have a refundable deposit placed in the LA area (for MSRP) and they said most likely it's a year+ long wait and will be a 2023 model which means I may miss out on the neptune blue, but I'm a fan of the silver too. I'll keep myself preoccupied during that time watching reviews on the new Z and the daily feed of cars on bring a trailer. If I needed the car now, I'd be able to convince myself to pay up to a $3-4k markup, but I think in LA it's more like double that adding markup+"factory"/dealer options.
      04-15-2022, 11:56 AM   #32
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Looks like your wish has been granted...

Toyota has confirmed that the model, which is officially called the GR Supra, will be getting a manual transmission in the U.S. soon, bucking the recent trend toward automatic-only sports cars, not to mention single-speed electric vehicles
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #33
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Looks like your wish has been granted...

Toyota has confirmed that the model, which is officially called the GR Supra, will be getting a manual transmission in the U.S. soon, bucking the recent trend toward automatic-only sports cars, not to mention single-speed electric vehicles
Ha, I just came to post the same thing. It isn't my wish though, it's solidsleeper's.

https://jalopnik.com/the-toyota-supr...ssi-1848798287
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2022, 02:13 PM   #34
manhoso
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

GLA AMG45.. like 2018
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:46 PM   #35
HDA
Private
Rep
Drives: S2000

Polestar wagon
328 wagon
E450 wagon
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #36
PR X13.5i
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 3.5i

Considering changing mine for a previous gen 2018 Forester XT. I'm tired of the reliability problems of my X1.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 09:04 PM   #37
HDA
Private
Rep
Drives: S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR X13.5i View Post
Considering changing mine for a previous gen 2018 Forester XT. I'm tired of the reliability problems of my X1.
Which problems did you have? Kinda different car that Forester XT vs a BMW X1 xdrive35i
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:55 AM   #38
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Most expensive part of car ownership is depreciation, run the X1 until it is a risk of leaving you stranded and even then you could swap a wrecked engine in with lower miles.

Depreciation is the ultimate money pit.
Carvana gave me a ridiculous $20k for mine a couple of months ago. I used it as the down payment on a XC40 Recharge.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #39
healeydays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Z3 3.0 --- 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
Carvana gave me a ridiculous $20k for mine a couple of months ago. I used it as the down payment on a XC40 Recharge.
Carvana was giving money away on buying your car. I sold my 2013 X3 last September to them with about 40K on it and bought a 2014 E84 35i with 28K for about 2K all in.
Appreciate 0