XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

SanDisc flash drive question - maybe for Apple folk?

I recently switched from using a cable and an old IPod Touch for music in my 2013 X1 to using a flash drive, plugged into dash USB. It's cool overall but for one thing -

If I load a playlist of 50 tracks, the H/K stereo at first won't read anything, and an "invalid format" message flashes on. I was patient for once, and after a couple of minutes, suddenly music started. But the read out said "track 51/100."

In other words, the stereo was reading the flash as having 100 tracks, where I had only loaded 50. And the first 50 "phantom" tracks it read as "invalid format."

This has happened both times I have loaded new music and used the Flash. So I assume it is going to happen every time. It's not a biggie. But it does seem odd.

I am a Mac user and just drag the tracks from my ITunes library over to the flash icon.

Is it the SanDisc? My method of loading tracks on the SanDisc? An Apple thing? Anyone with any thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them. I can live with this situation because the music sounds great and the SanDisc is so tiny you wouldn't even notice it's there. But overall, I'd prefer not to have to wait several minutes every time I load new music onto the flash.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

SanDisk flash drives come preformatted from the factory with some sort of format that BMW's sound system (incl. H.K.) is not capable of reading well or not at all (as in my case.) Reformat your flash drive and reload all your songs. I suggest downloading a couple of albums first before spending a lot of time with the rest of your music collection.

I have heard there might be issues with iTunes and BMW's audio system, but I don't think that's the case. I have weeded out all the bugs on mine, so do let me know if the step above doesn't resolve it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

I tried Googling re-formatting the SanDisk and couldn't find anything helpful. I am not super-techy so unless I have simple instructions, re-formatting is not going to happen. I can live with the situation as is. Every time I load new music onto the SanDisk and plug it in the USB, I'll just have to let the system work through the "invalid format" thing until it reaches the actual tracks.

I have not noticed any ITunes and audio system issues. My Ipod Touch would freeze from time to time, but I suspect that was because it was super-old. I could get a newer IPod with Bluetooth and just stream, I guess, putting the IPod in the console or somewhere. But then I'd have to remember to charge it from time to time...I'll stick with the SanDisk.

Last edited by mullini; 10-01-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
I tried Googling re-formatting the SanDisk and couldn't find anything helpful. I am not super-techy so unless I have simple instructions, re-formatting is not going to happen.
Simple-ish instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://techchannel.radioshack.com/reformat-sd-card-1663.html
Windows 7 contains two utilities for formatting your SD card: Disk Management and Windows Explorer. Disk Management is found by typing "disk management" in the Start menu's search bar and pressing "Enter." Its formatting utility is launched by right-clicking the SD card and selecting "Format." Windows Explorer is found by clicking "Start," then "Computer." Likewise, right-clicking the SD card and select "Format" launches the formatting utility. Both utilities let you change the file format and label the card. Unselecting "Quick Format" overwrites any data during the reformatting procedure, but it takes longer.
File System

The biggest consideration when reformatting your SD card is the file system you wish to use. If you're formatting the SD card in a peripheral device, this isn't an option; the device chooses the best format. However, in Windows 7, you need to choose between NTFS and one of the FAT systems. If the SD card will only be used within Windows, NTFS is the best choice. For compatibility between Windows, peripheral devices and Mac computers, use FAT or FAT32. If the card capacity is 64GB or greater, use exFAT. Doing so maintains compatibility with Windows and Mac computers, but you lose peripheral device compatibility. However, exFAT does not suffer the same 4GB file size limit of the FAT32 system.
And - just noticed that Chris's post actually includes a link to how to reformat using Mac

To clarify: The user manual recommends FAT 32

Last edited by EpistemicConfusion; 09-30-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Yeah, I included a link with instructions. When you do drop down menu to choose the format, I believe "FAT" was the only option (not "FAT 32".) Regular FAT worked just fine. The process of reformatting is actually really painless.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

Sorry I missed the link - too subtle for me. I'll give that a go but I could swear I looked at the SanDisk format and it already said FAT32. But I'll look again. Again, the SanDisk I have is loading tracks and playing music. It just confuses my X1 audio system with a duplicate set of invalid format tracks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

^^^
Yes, they say they're preformatted to FAT32 but for for some odd reason the factory format is not totally compatible with BMW's sound systems (incl. HK's.) Reformatting is the only way to make them work correctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

:-( I followed the instructions in the link to format as "Mac OS Extended." My X1 couldn't read that at all. So I'll go back and re-format again when I get home to FAT 32.

Maybe I'll just pop for a newer Nano with Bluetooth and play music that way...

ADDENDUM: I have decided to go the Nano route, but mine is so old it doesn't have Bluetooth so I order a "refurbished" one, 7th Gen.

I actually got the SanDisk to work, or at least play music, but it bugs me a little that it mostly doesn't show cover artwork. It will on, for example, 3 out of 50 tracks. I'd ignore that but in the end, I do rely on ITunes to manage my music (I have a fairly massive library), and using an IPod means it will track how many times I've played certain tracks, and also update the playlist with new music every time I re-load it.

The one downside on the Nano through BT is that I'll have to plug it in the USB port from time to time to keep it charged. Shouldn't be that big a deal.

I'll find other uses for the SanDisk!

Last edited by mullini; 10-15-2013 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: ADDENDUM
Appreciate 0