XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

It has been discussed a lot (especially here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/) that US Castrol oil is not true synthetic. The only true synthetic is German Castrol 0-W30. It can be bought from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06244-.../dp/B007G7PUMS . Or at some Autozone stores.

The oil has to be LL-01 certified.

The only one widely available option (read Walmart) is Mobil 1 Euro Formula 0-W40 which is also LL-01 certified.

The oil from the dealer is not German Castrol but some other mix (hydrocracked conventional oil that behaves like synthetic). Europe has stricter laws. And in Germany BMW is using true German Castrol. Whatever BMW is using here can not be called synthetic in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #24
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz100 View Post
It has been discussed a lot (especially here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/) that US Castrol oil is not true synthetic. The only true synthetic is German Castrol 0-W30. It can be bought from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06244-.../dp/B007G7PUMS . Or at some Autozone stores.

The oil has to be LL-01 certified.

The only one widely available option (read Walmart) is Mobil 1 Euro Formula 0-W40 which is also LL-01 certified.
I thought one could go to a VW dealer and buy a Castrol Professional SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil there that's identical to the European product. And thankfully, there are still more VW dealers than Walmarts...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #25
xyz100
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I thought one could go to a VW dealer and buy a Castrol Professional SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil there that's identical to the European product. And thankfully, there are still more VW dealers than Walmarts...
I doubt it is identical since German Castrol is only ion 0-W30.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Fifteen years of using BMW synthetic in M and regular cars and no issues. If you're worried about this, you're looking for reasons to worry.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #27
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz100 View Post
I doubt it is identical since German Castrol is only ion 0-W30.
You're talking about the German Castrol that's marketed in the US. Castrol Europe has no less than ten(!) 5W-30 oils that have BMW LongLife approval.
Most of them are LL-4 and should not be used in American diesel engines, due to the high sulphur content of American diesel. Which is why they can't be bought on the US market.
But the Castrol Professional OE 5W-30 which VW sells is apparently safe for both diesels and E10 gasoline. Which is why they sell it
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #28
xyz100
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
You're talking about the German Castrol that's marketed in the US. Castrol Europe has no less than ten(!) 5W-30 oils that have BMW LongLife approval.
Most of them are LL-4 and should not be used in American diesel engines, due to the high sulphur content of American diesel. Which is why they can't be bought on the US market.
But the Castrol Professional OE 5W-30 which VW sells is apparently safe for both diesels and E10 gasoline. Which is why they sell it
GC I mentioned is LL-01. Check the link.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #29
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Fifteen years of using BMW synthetic in M and regular cars and no issues. If you're worried about this, you're looking for reasons to worry.
I'm also quite sure that BMWs oil is more than good enough.
More important than the exact specifics of the oil is how you drive. Like letting the engine temperature rise before you rev up.
I see people up here during winter who get in their cold car, start it, and immediately rev it up in neutral to get the cabin and windows warmed up quicker. Or tear out of the parking lot. And I think to myself that it doesn't matter if they have the best oil in the world - they're killing their engine with the oil, and it's not the oil that's to blame.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

My God, my thread has turned into another oil thread =/
Appreciate 0