XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-23-2015, 12:30 AM   #45
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

I was also wondering about wearing out the motor but I don't believe that to be an issue. And I would think the car is smart enough to stop the motor if it encounters resistance. Plus if I'm not mistaken the mirrors will fold mechanically when forced, so again I would think the ice buildup wouldn't cause too many issues. I haven't checked though so don't take my word for it.

Sorry for the double posts, just trying to find a minute here and there and don't always get my thoughts in on first try :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 04:37 AM   #46
xirsteon
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
I don't have the car coded yet, so the mirrors only fold and unfold at the press of a button (with the exception that they unfold when you accelerate past some nominal speed)

I don't remember the exact packages but if I recall correctly I have premium, executive, and lighting packages. If you like PM me your email address I'll send you the pricing guide that describes all the packages in detail.
Ah ok Thanks again. Time to negotiate some numbers with the dealership. I found another similarly spec'd x1 that's CPO with 5kmi less than The one I mentioned earlier in my post. White /black interior (with the same exact same pkgs) for around $29,784

It's one state away @ 196 miles but we don't mind so long as the car is good shape and price is right. The hope is that they accept our price since its almost end of the month. Perhaps they are reluctant to move some vehicles. Will update this post once we decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 04:39 AM   #47
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
I was also wondering about wearing out the motor but I don't believe that to be an issue. And I would think the car is smart enough to stop the motor if it encounters resistance. Plus if I'm not mistaken the mirrors will fold mechanically when forced, so again I would think the ice buildup wouldn't cause too many issues. I haven't checked though so don't take my word for it.

Sorry for the double posts, just trying to find a minute here and there and don't always get my thoughts in on first try :-)
I think I'll prefer then manual fold option giving that i want less trips to the dealer at all cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #48
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

For the best price you might have to drive there twice since the dealers will likely go down another $500-$1000 after you leave and they call you back. But I find for us what worked is we told the sales person that we're ready to put down a deposit but it has to be our price. I know if we left and came we might have gotten a slightly better deal but it wasn't worth the hassle at that point. Plus it was best model among all the dealers within a hundred miles.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #49
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
For the best price you might have to drive there twice since the dealers will likely go down another $500-$1000 after you leave and they call you back. But I find for us what worked is we told the sales person that we're ready to put down a deposit but it has to be our price. I know if we left and came we might have gotten a slightly better deal but it wasn't worth the hassle at that point. Plus it was best model among all the dealers within a hundred miles.

Best of luck!
Thanks. I generally prefer dealing with them over e-mail. Over the phone can be a hit/miss. One thing is what they say on the phone, the other is what happens when you arrive there. I had a friend who despite putting a deposit down, the dealer sold the car before he and his wfie arrived without a single phone call to give them heads-up so as to save the hassle of going there (Long Island City from Albany).

The particular dealer that has the X1 I'm interested in has bad reviews on Yelp (but only in service dept). The only thing drawing me there is the CPO warranty that comes with it besides the car being a white (I've a black car the last 8 yrs and it's a day/nightmare trying to keep it shining. The other X1 is black and it's only 7 miles away from me. However it's not CPO and they guy is quite firm on price (he'll throw in new all-seasons).

In a way, I'm debating if I should just save the 8 hr round trip and get the closer non-cpo or go through the hassle getting the add'l 2 yr / 50k CPO warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #50
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Warranty, definitely.

It's a hassle now but it will save you major pains and costs down the road should anything go wrong. From what I've gathered BMWs are great the first 50kmi, it's the next 50kmi that are problematic.

Plus don't forget the CPO process refurbishes the car, including replacing some wear and tear items like scratched trims. And I have a feeling that dealerships won't CPO cars they know will have problems down the road so it's even a decent indicator of the dealership's faith in the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #51
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Personally I only considered CPO.

First of course it means they have inspected the car enough to have the confidence in it to include a nice warranty.

Second, they can only be sold by BMW dealerships, which means the previous owner purchased/leased another BMW. You typically don't do this unless you were happy with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #52
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Bummer! The cpo one supposingly was equipped with 18"LT/ALY WHEELS Y-SPOKE 322 according to BMWVIN, but this dealer explicitly state that the vehicle has 17" x 7.5" V-spoke (Style 318) alloy wheels.

This is a vehicle that has 1 owner (and it was purchased leased at the same dealer originally). Either way, someone swapped it from 18 to 17. If it is leased, I'd like to think it's the dealer but it could the original leaser. Comparing it to the black x1 closer to me, I can see clearly that it's a 17"
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #53
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Not the end of the world. Plus the 17's ride much smoother IMO.... unless you're planning to race it ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #54
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not the end of the world. Plus the 17's ride much smoother IMO.... unless you're planning to race it ;-)
Yep, I test drove both and preferred the ride of the 17's. This is even more important if like me, you are going to keep the run flats.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:49 AM   #55
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
I agree. Although the car supposedly have the xline pkg. Either way from the pictures, I get the impression that the remaining treads on the tires are almost gone....maybe 6-8months max. However the advisor insist that car passed the bmw inspections and whatnot. I told him I would hate to have to spend almost 30 grand on a bmw cpo car and buying new sets of tires in less than 1 year after.

If I'm going to compromise on the 18" wheels, then I'll need new sets of tires.

Her are some pictures:

May be you guys have better eyes than I do. It's sort of hard to tell. I'll ask for more pictures of the wheels/tires or there's no deal.

Last edited by xirsteon; 11-24-2015 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:39 AM   #56
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Yep, I test drove both and preferred the ride of the 17's. This is even more important if like me, you are going to keep the run flats.

I like the looks of the RFs (thinner sidewall) buti plan to ditch them. I don't think they last better imo..but this is probably a topic that had been beaten up countless amount of time on here and elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #57
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirsteon View Post

I agree. Although the car supposedly have the xline pkg. Either way from the pictures, I get the impression that the remaining treads on the tires are almost gone....maybe 6-8months max. However the advisor insist that car passed the bmw inspections and whatnot. I told him I would hate to have to spend almost 30 grand on a bmw cpo car and buying new sets of tires in less than 1 year after.

If I'm going to compromise on the 18" wheels, then I'll need new sets of tires.

May be you guys have better eyes than I do. It's sort of hard to tell. I'll ask for more pictures of the wheels/tires or there's no deal.
If those are Goodyear Eagle LS2 then you need get rid of them ASAP anyway. They have absolutely no grip. That's what I had on mine when I got the car (about 30% tread left on a 2.5 year old car). I got Goodyear Assurance Tripletread (>90% tread) on BMW E60 rims for $600 and I love the tires, they are much much better than factory wheels.

PS: those look like 18" rims.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #58
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree, I've only ever seen that rim style associated with 18" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #59
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirsteon View Post
Either way from the pictures, I get the impression that the remaining treads on the tires are almost gone....maybe 6-8months max. However the advisor insist that car passed the bmw inspections and whatnot. I told him I would hate to have to spend almost 30 grand on a bmw cpo car and buying new sets of tires in less than 1 year after.
I'm pretty sure that it was explained to me that the tires needed to have at least 60% of their life left to be a CPO.

Looking at the CPO check list it says the following:

TIRE TREAD DEPTH (minimum 3 mm when measured from the TOP of wear indicators)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:40 AM   #60
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
I'm pretty sure that it was explained to me that the tires needed to have at least 60% of their life left to be a CPO.

Looking at the CPO check list it says the following:

TIRE TREAD DEPTH (minimum 3 mm when measured from the TOP of wear indicators)
That's the line he used (3mm) when I briefly spoke with the advisor. I may have to carry a measurement with me. It's sort of absurd that a cpo buyer might potentially be needing new sets of rubbers shortly after coughing up this amount of money. May be I can ask for new tires in order to accept the deal. I can wrap my head around it that's all.

That or I make them show the 3mm tread depth before getting into anything with these guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #61
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
If those are Goodyear Eagle LS2 then you need get rid of them ASAP anyway. They have absolutely no grip. That's what I had on mine when I got the car (about 30% tread left on a 2.5 year old car). I got Goodyear Assurance Tripletread (>90% tread) on BMW E60 rims for $600 and I love the tires, they are much much better than factory wheels.

Those are Pirelli's. It's not clear what type of Pirelli's though. While I agree with you on wheel size, could you compare those wheels with this ones (notice the amount space between the tread and fender area)?

Would you say the wheels on the AW are 18" and the wheel on the Jet Black are 18"? To me, the pictures on the Jet Black seem more of an 18" than the AW.

Jet Black:

Alphine White:
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #62
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Based on the fact that it's the same pattern I would say they're the exact same rims. Also looking at the pricing guide for 2013 that design only came in 18".
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #63
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

I agree, that wheel is only offered in 18"
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:15 PM   #64
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Based on the fact that it's the same pattern I would say they're the exact same rims. Also looking at the pricing guide for 2013 that design only came in 18".
If you had to pick between JB and AW, which would you go for? The JB is a nightmare to clean...but can look nice with the xline pkg.

The AW hides dirt a bit better but I'm afraid any scratches will be an eye sore or immediately be noticable even if it's teeny tinny.

Thank in advance. What colors do you both have?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #65
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

My current car is Glacier Silver. Nice color, very easy to maintain. That said it wasn't my first choice but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

My previous car was a white Impreza. I found its not as difficult to keep clean as you would think, definitely easier than black. And it would be my choice from your two options. Also the white doesn't really show the micro scratches which black makes immediately visible, and it makes small chips easier to fix up.

Don't forget the white car reflects a lot of heat so you end up using less A/C and its more pleasant to come back to in a hot parking lot. I read somewhere that black cars can be as much as 20-30 degrees hotter than white.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #66
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

I will never own a black car again (they just get to dang hot). It and the orange were the only colors I ruled out in my search.

I preferred the Alpine White because of how white hides things, but ended up with Midnight Blue Metallic. It wasn't my first choice (hard to keep clean), but the features per $ ratio was just just too good on this car. The color has definitely grown on me, but I am having to wash it way more often that I would have had to with white!
Appreciate 0