Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

11-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

A case for run flats

Story on the news this weekend. An elderly man ran out of gas in a "less than desirable" area of Providence. He called his elderly wife who showed up with some gas. When she arrived, a supposed Asian gang member ran out of his house and beat them both severely with an aluminum bat. They are in serious condition in a local hospital.

Horrible story.

My wife and I both have run flat tires. If my wife gets a flat in a bad area, I'm glad she can keep going and not have to stop to change a tire or wait for roadside assistance.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Hard to argue with that logic, but why not avoid the bad neighborhood altogether?

That said I'm not against run flats. They're great in case you have a severe puncture on the highway and many other cases. I just don't use them
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would be a case for runflats if the man got a flat tire vs. running out of gas.

While I agree your your reasoning, I'm 100% fine with my wife driving a few blocks on a flat tire to get herself somewhere she feels safe in the one in a billion chance she happens to get a blowout-type flat in a bad neighborhood. For me, dealing with their drawbacks day in and day out isn't worth it to hedge such minuscule risk.

I'm only "against" runflats for what they've done to BMW's suspension tuning (bushing choice, spring rates, etc. to accommodate the sidewall). Awful.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 11-01-2015 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Here is the article: http://wpri.com/2015/10/29/police-in...cked-with-bat/

Run flats can serve their purpose, but so can making sure your gas tank is full, as can not driving through particular areas, the list is endless.

Hopefully, the couple fully recovers and perp has someone take his ball bat to his balls.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

More like a case for a concealed carry permit.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would be a case for runflats if the man got a flat tire vs. running out of gas.

While I agree your your reasoning, I'm 100% fine with my wife driving a few blocks on a flat tire to get herself somewhere she feels safe in the one in a billion chance she happens to get a blowout-type flat in a bad neighborhood. For me, dealing with their drawbacks day in and day out isn't worth it to hedge such minuscule risk.

I'm only "against" runflats for what they've done to BMW's suspension tuning (bushing choice, spring rates, etc. to accommodate the sidewall). Awful.
Yeah...I know they ran out of gas and didn't get a flat but I'm pretty sure the old man wouldn't have been able to change a tire on his own. My point was thy run flats have a lot of advantages.

I'm happy that you feel comfortable gambling with your wife's safety rather than have to deal with your distaste for run flats. Me??? I prefer my wife to get home safe and the cost of a new tire is cheap insurance.

Hopefully she doesn't read your post.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

My wife hit a road dot and the runflat was totally coming apart on the three miles I drove it to the tire shop, never going over 25 mph. I really don't think it would have made it another mile. If it hadn't been in our x-line X1, with the non painted fenders, there would have been paint damage.

50 miles at 50 mph is a joke. Don't go thinking they're an infallible safety blanket. Better to be prepared to have roadside come get you, RFT or not.

She had non RFT's on her previous 135i and never had any issues, knowing that if she needed it, she always had roadside assistance.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Portly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive28i, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxx1918 View Post
I'm happy that you feel comfortable gambling with your wife's safety rather than have to deal with your distaste for run flats.
That's not what he said. What he ACTUALLY said was

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I'm 100% fine with my wife driving a few blocks on a flat tire to get herself somewhere she feels safe in the one in a billion chance she happens to get a blowout-type flat in a bad neighborhood.
In other words, on the slight possibility that this situation arose, he's more than fine with her destroying a wheel to get to a place of safety. He did NOT say, "I hate rft's, so I'll just put my wife at risk."
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 12:38 AM   #9
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Let's not make this into a flame war?

We all agree that run flats have their purpose and none of us feel that we are putting our significant others at risk.

I AM curious about the experience of those who had previously taken advantage of the run flats... Has any one else besides Red Beard had experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #10
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah...I know they ran out of gas and didn't get a flat but I'm pretty sure the old man wouldn't have been able to change a tire on his own. My point was thy run flats have a lot of advantages.

I'm happy that you feel comfortable gambling with your wife's safety rather than have to deal with your distaste for run flats. Me??? I prefer my wife to get home safe and the cost of a new tire is cheap insurance.

Hopefully she doesn't read your post.
Why did you ignore my post? Gambling on my wife's safety? I said my wife can drive on the flat until she's in a spot where she feels safe.

Hopefully she doesn't read my post?

She hates runflats. She wanted them removed.

Anymore ridiculous assumptions you'd like to make?

Anyone who doesn't use run flat tires is gambling on the safety of their family? That's your position? The pussification of America continues...

Edit: Ahh, you're a gigantic hypocrite...see below.

Last edited by PrematureApex; 11-02-2015 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:11 AM   #11
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly View Post
That's not what he said. What he ACTUALLY said was

In other words, on the slight possibility that this situation arose, he's more than fine with her destroying a wheel to get to a place of safety. He did NOT say, "I hate rft's, so I'll just put my wife at risk."
Thank you, someone who reads!

Yes, in the very rare case she gets a blowout flat in a bad neighborhood, she knows no one is going to care about damaging a wheel getting somewhere she feels safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #12
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
I AM curious about the experience of those who had previously taken advantage of the run flats... Has any one else besides Red Beard had experience with this?
I've had a sidewall blowout on my way to work with a run-flat snow tire. It absolutely was convenient to be able to continue to make my way to work slowly (albeit very slowly and only for a few miles), and make arrangements to get a spare brought to me there.

That being said, if I average one blow-out flat every 2 years that can't be fixed with a roadside plug, that's not enough for me to pay the premium and deal with the horrible ride day in and day out.

Last edited by PrematureApex; 11-02-2015 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
My wife hit a road dot and the runflat was totally coming apart on the three miles I drove it to the tire shop, never going over 25 mph. I really don't think it would have made it another mile. If it hadn't been in our x-line X1, with the non painted fenders, there would have been paint damage.

50 miles at 50 mph is a joke. Don't go thinking they're an infallible safety blanket. Better to be prepared to have roadside come get you, RFT or not.

She had non RFT's on her previous 135i and never had any issues, knowing that if she needed it, she always had roadside assistance.
I agree. Driving on it for any real mileage is not something you want to be doing. You'll be wanting to be pulling over somewhere in pretty short order and/or driving very slowly on it.

Another reason that they're not that big of a deal for us.

I'm not getting a tire replaced same-day at a local tire shop anyway. Any sidewall blowout that happens is going to result me swapping the wheels off the car and/or ordering new tires. So having the ability to get father than the nearest parking lot isn't THAT much insurance for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #14
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Cheap insurance...you mean like snow tires?

Quote:
As long as you have experience driving in the snow, you'll do just fine with the all seasons. I mean, winter tires are awesome. I drove my RWD 330i and Z4 through a couple of winters with Dunlop Wintersport M3s. With the winter tires, they plowed through deep snow with no problem. I'm in RI, so I was there with you last year when we got crushed with snow. I have the sport line with the 18" Pirelli all seasons and I have to say, my X1 was unstoppable last winter. I actually couldn't believe how good it was. I work in Corrections and can't stay home because of a blizzard. I drove through some nasty storms and some pretty deep snow. I drove a lot of steep hills and unplowed back roads. The x drive worked as advertised and the little extra ground clearance helped. Of course, if you feel like dealing with it, winter tires are always better....but if you have experience driving in the snow, you'll have no issues.
You can't make this up...

Hello pot, this is kettle...

Takes a real "special" mind to think that it's AOK to claim that someone not using runflats it putting their family in danger, when they themselves live in RI and don't use winter tires.

You want to talk safety? How about the stopping distances/road holding improvements our X1 has on its dedicated summer and winter tires vs. yours on no-seasons?

Why are you putting yourself and your family at risk like that?

Last edited by PrematureApex; 11-02-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #15
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Because my wife's drives it a lot it will always have run flats. My manual trans e90 didn't because no truck driver is going to rape me. I don't care if I get robbed.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #16
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

I run run-flats because I drive 25k a year and am frequently too far away from a shop to trust I can get a replacement.

My wife drives 10k a year and runs regular tires. She also drives a WRX so she wants better performance.

She knows that if she gets a flat in a bad area, drive on it and ruin the tire, the rim the damn car. I can replace all of those within a week. I can't replace her.

Having a blowout, even at normal speeds interstate speeds, is usually not life threatening unless you are not paying attention to anything or it is raining. You are not risking your, or other's lives, not driving on run flats.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
The pussification of America continues.
This.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #18
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:
Cheap insurance...you mean like snow tires?

Quote:
As long as you have experience driving in the snow, you'll do just fine with the all seasons. I mean, winter tires are awesome. I drove my RWD 330i and Z4 through a couple of winters with Dunlop Wintersport M3s. With the winter tires, they plowed through deep snow with no problem. I'm in RI, so I was there with you last year when we got crushed with snow. I have the sport line with the 18" Pirelli all seasons and I have to say, my X1 was unstoppable last winter. I actually couldn't believe how good it was. I work in Corrections and can't stay home because of a blizzard. I drove through some nasty storms and some pretty deep snow. I drove a lot of steep hills and unplowed back roads. The x drive worked as advertised and the little extra ground clearance helped. Of course, if you feel like dealing with it, winter tires are always better....but if you have experience driving in the snow, you'll have no issues.
You can't make this up...

Hello pot, this is kettle...

Takes a real "special" mind to think that it's AOK to claim that someone not using runflats it putting their family in danger, when they themselves live in RI and don't use winter tires.

You want to talk safety? How about the stopping distances/road holding improvements our X1 has on its dedicated summer and winter tires vs. yours on no-seasons?

Why are you putting yourself and your family at risk like that?
What in God's name are you talking about??? You obviously have an anger issue that you need addressed.

I simply placed a post recounting a story where an elderly gentleman broke down in a bad neighborhood and was assaulted, along with his wife, when she came to his aid.

I clearly understand that this did not involve run flats, but that, as everyone complains about run flats, they do have their advantages.

My wife does a lot of traveling for work and does find herself passing through bad neighborhoods or traveling late at night on deserted roads. Were she to have a flat, the opportunity to drive a short distance on a disintegrated tire and sparking rim doesn't always present itself. A safe area might be miles away. I'd rather she be able to make it home safely with the run flat instead of her having to wait for roadside assistance. Run flats have their advantages.

YOU'RE the one that came out and attacked me and said that you're fine with your wife trying to drive on a flat tire until she could reach safety. One in a billion chance I think you said? Really? One in a billion chance of getting a flat in an unsafe area? People get flat tires every day and they don't always happen in good weather and in a safe and convenient location. I think the odds of being able reach safety on a shredding tire and sparking rim are pretty slim. Run flats have their advantages.

Sissifying of America????

Placing a safety feature on a vehicle contributes to the sissifying of America?? Really? I bet you're such a bad ass that you pull the safety belts and airbags out of your cars after you purchase them.

Then....as you boil in anger, you search for my previous posts and somehow try to discredit my argument with a post I placed about X drive and driving in snow??? Really??? The X1 handles superbly in the snow with the X drive and all seasons. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't handle so well driving on the aluminum rim after your non run flat has shredded off.

Safe travels, my friend!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #19
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

YOU'RE the one that came out and attacked me
!
What thread are you reading?

An opinion that differs from yours is an attack? In fact, in my first post, I said I agree with your reasoning...but gave some others for our decision not to run them. Hardly an attack.

I think you should re-read the thread. I gave my opinion, which was different from yours. You responded to me providing an alternate viewpoint by accusing me of putting my wife in danger, and stating you hope she doesn't read the thread. Completely defensive of you, for no reason.

It was only after your immature response that I decided to let you know how much of a hypocritical ass you were being.

Physics 101. AWD helps with acceleration only. The braking/cornering...yeah, that's down to tires. So yes, completely hypocritical of you to say not using run flats is endangering your family, but using all seasons in NE is just fine. Why don't you run snow tires, which stop/corner MUCH better than all seasons in the snow? Just to save a few bucks?

Surely you're MUCH more likely to need shorter stopping distances, or more lateral grip, than you are to happen to have a blowout flat in front of a crazy, bat-swinging felon's house.

Last edited by PrematureApex; 11-05-2015 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Placing a safety feature on a vehicle contributes to the sissifying of America?? Really? I bet you're such a bad ass that you pull the safety belts and airbags out of your cars after you purchase them.
Your reading comprehension needs work. The "pussification of america" involves you claiming I'm putting my family in danger by not using runflats. Sounds like something one would hear on an episode of Oprah, or perhaps on CNN.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #21
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:

Your reading comprehension needs work. The "pussification of america" involves you claiming I'm putting my family in danger by not using runflats. Sounds like something one would hear on an episode of Oprah, or perhaps on CNN.
You're an angry man. A very large portion of your posts attack other posters with rude and ignorant comments. If insulting other people and cutting them down makes you feel better....more power to you. I'm sure you're always the smartest guy in the room.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #22
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:

You continue to twist my words. I never used the phrase that you're putting your family in danger by not using run flats.

I simply stated in my original post that I'm glad my wife has run flats on her car in case she were to get a flat in an undesirable location. I'm glad that she can continue home safely without having to stop. I was reminded of how it can be dangerous to break down in a bad area by the recent story of an elderly couple that was beaten with a baseball bat after running out of gas in a bad neighborhood. That was the point of my post.

You replied that you can understand my reasoning but that you do not feel the same way and are comfortable with your wife driving on a flat tire until she can get somewhere safe, if she were to break down in an unsafe location. Of course, you said there's only a one in a billion chance of that happening so I guess it's a mute point for you.

If that's your opinion.....you have a right to it. However, you took the trouble to search all my previous posts and bring up a totally separate argument for winter tires. That had nothing to do with my original post.

So.........you feel so strongly about the use of winter tires that you had to scour my previous posts and repost it several times to make your point. Traction and handling are of utmost importance to you but you have no problem with your wife trying to perhaps drive several miles to safety after her front tire went flat, the tire shredded off the rim and she attempts to steer the car as sparks are flying from the rim?

Hey.....they make winter run flats too!! Maybe you'll get some for Christmas.

God Bless you, my friend. I hope your wife continues to get home safely to you every night.
Appreciate 0