XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 Photos / Videos / Media

02-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #45
gpelpel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Thanks for the discussion tiltmode43 and DUI Elite.

I just purchased a 2014 X1 xDrive 28i to replace my 2007 Wrangler Rubicon. It's obviously not an exact replacement but I needed a 'regular' car to take us on long drives.

I had the X1 in mind since a while but this thread convinced me it might work better than I expected for my occasional off-roading on photography outings.

DUI: Have you experienced any rubbing with the 235/50 before installing the mud guards and lift kit? In your experience was it the tallest tire possible before any other mods or do you think there was still some margin.
Also did you experience any impact on highway driving?
Have you installed the lift kit since? What is your experience? How much did it cost in labor to have the kit installed?

tiltmode: What has been your experience on highway driving since the lift kit install?

Again thanks to both for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #46
IslandTimes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
One of the targets is retrofitting LED light pods into out fog light spots with the option of either 1,800 or 4,900 lumens per pod with the option of spot, flood, or combo(driving) as well as white & amber colors. That the sort of thing you'd be interested in?
Any update on the rally parts? Looks like I'm going to keep my car for the foreseeable future, so I'm looking at possibly starting to mod this summer. I'll be due up for new tires around then, and hope to go with new springs and shocks, maybe an LSD.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:42 PM   #47
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpelpel View Post
DUI: Have you experienced any rubbing with the 235/50 before installing the mud guards and lift kit? Yep, as mentioned by Tiltmode, it rubs on the portion that protrudes forward on the back of FRONT wheel wells. For some reason, with the 235/50, it only did this in reverse, but not going forward.

In your experience was it the tallest tire possible before any other mods or do you think there was still some margin. After completing my lift, I actually would advise against going larger than 235/45 unless you plan on lifting the X1. It can rub in the rear wheel wells on big dips when traveling at highway speeds.

Also did you experience any impact on highway driving? No significant impact.

Have you installed the lift kit since? What is your experience? How much did it cost in labor to have the kit installed? I had a shop do the install for me since we're in the middle of winter in Chicago. Install was around $550 for the new shocks, new springs and alignment. I used Bilstein B6 HD Shocks on the Eibach Pro-Lift springs and 100% believe the car should have came from the factory like this. The ride is night and day in quality. It is less crashy, and firm only when cornering.

tiltmode: What has been your experience on highway driving since the lift kit install?

Again thanks to both for any feedback.
Answers are in green - glad to help in any way. Let me know if you have more questions.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #48
gpelpel
Rep

Thanks DUI, really appreciate the quick response.

Did you remove the protruding bit on the back of the front wheels? How was it done? Do you have a picture?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #49
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpelpel View Post
Thanks DUI, really appreciate the quick response.

Did you remove the protruding bit on the back of the front wheels? How was it done? Do you have a picture?
I'm going to wait for it to be a bit warmer and the roads to not be all salty, but I'm basically going to be doing a body chop mod (common on the lifted trucks you see doing offroading)

I'll put together a DIY in the spring for anyone interested. Only trick is the welding of that frame metal once done cutting back/off the portion that protrudes forward. I'll include the portion of the front mudflap that needs to be cut out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #50
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Thanks for stepping in and helping with the questions DUI! I had a few month hiatus from the boards, real life got a little busy

Will update this thread soonish with a recap from this trip and additional feedback to questions posted, just some pics for now:

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:01 PM   #51
gpelpel
Rep

The lift kit should arrive next week. Mounted some 225/55r17 Michelin Defender LTX M/S today, they look cool. They lift the car 11.25mm from the standard tires; half the height increase you got with 225/55r18, only 5.75mm lower than the 235/50r18.

I have no rubbing. I think the 235/55r17 could have fit but barely without rubbing the front of the front wheel well when the steering wheel is turn all the way.

I like the look of the higher tires, it makes the car look sturdier. The first impressive difference compared to the run-on-flat tires is their quietness. Now I need to modify the cargo area floor to fit above a skinny spare tire (135/90r17 from X3).
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #52
MiniMike20
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d Xdrive

Love this thread, one of the few resources I could find when looking at X1's of one actually going off road!
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #53
MiniMike20
Rep

So, I am considering going with the same lift kit, and profile tyres, just to beef things up a bit.

Would you mind reviewing your setup to put me at ease before I pull the plug?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #54
gpelpel
Rep

Finally got the lift kit installed last week. BMW estimates the job is an 8 hour project. Got a couple guys who quoted it as about a 5 hour job. I went to the cheapest (yet recommended) so my installation cost was $540 plus 2 front assembly caps that were becoming loose and needed replacement ($120).

First ride impression was impressive right from the start. The X1 has a firmer, tighter feel. It's not harsh, just feels more solid and, yet, seems to absorb bumps better.

As per look the extra inch makes for a more balanced design. The most questionable part of the first X1 design is the long flat nose. The extra height kind of attenuates the long proportions of the hood.

I also like my choice of 225/55r17 tire size. No wheel well modification needed. I didn't think the extra expense would have added anything for a mere 11.25mm of extra height. I think one up size would have worked (235/55r17 for an extra 5.50mm) but it's getting very tight around the tires when the wheels are turned. I feel safe with the clearance I have now. It should also allow me to use snow cables if needed.

With the tires and lift kit I now have a 8.6" ground clearance up from the original 7".

In regards to the spare wheel, I got a 135/90r17 from an X3. The spare has the same diameter as the new tires. I removed the trunk lid as well as the spacers from the small storage compartment between the battery area and the lid. The recessed area allows for the spare to sit at a lower level than the original trunk lid. I used straps and the cargo area hooks to secure the spare to the car and built a new lid and side panels with a thin plywood board covered with strong black felt. It makes for a very clean enclosure around the spare that also holds a jack, a jumper cable and tools.

Last edited by gpelpel; 06-13-2017 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #55
MiniMike20
Rep

Your post could not have come at a better time! I was on the fence yesterday it popped up, I had to pay the deposit for my kit else I would only get it in 6 months (instead of three) and your post made my mind up.

I will be the first X1 in South Africa with a Lift Kit. Basically copying you guys as far tires goes too.

Mike
Appreciate 2
Ecomo0.00
      06-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #56
gpelpel
Rep

Following up as the alignment was done today.
Front and rear camber adjustments are about at their limits. I ended up with a slightly off rear camber (-0.7 instead of recommended -1.4).

In regards to tire size, check the second photo, you can see that the tires have just a bit of breathing room when the wheels are half way turned (same position as in first image). The image shows the front of the front wheel well. This is with 225/55r17.

Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #57
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Thanks for keeping the spirit of this thread alive, I love seeing more lifted X1's!

The 225/55/17 looks really good gpelpel!

Another Gorman trip in the books, this time a solo mission with the GF. Headed up Friday night, got there around 11PM and set up camp, got the fire burning and beers flowing. Pretty much all other camps were up doing the same, always fun to hear good times all around!

We got an early start the following morning and ended up hitting some of the more difficult trails by end of day. The rating system goes as such:
Green Circle = Easy
Blue Square = Intermediate
Black Diamond = Difficult
Each trail is rated for trucks, bikes, and quads separately as different terrain presents different issues for these vehicles. As you can imagine, my main fear is ground clearance and this really turned me off from tackling more difficult trails int he past. I decided to go for it this time around and luckily was able to avoid needing to turn around. We also adventured out of the main park up a nearby mountain but that just ended up being 2hrs of rutted out dirt road, nothing too great. Overall, I can definitely say this was the most I've pushed the X1 and it handled everything well with some very careful driving. Now, for pics:

Pointless campfire pic.

Following day, coming down East Freeman Trail. Much steeper than this pic makes you think!

East Freeman ends in a sandy wash/riverbed area. Always fun putting the xDrive system to work and getting loosey goosey in the sand.

After heading down East Freeman, we came across Quail Pass Trail. Officially the first black diamond I've hit in the X1. Took some pics of the X1 while on a higher point. You can really see what typical Southern California off road terrain looks like.

Also hit Pronghorn Trail which is notoriously difficult (search "Pronghorn Gorman" on youtube if curious - you'll find quite a few Jeep videos ). Don't have any pics from this one but yes, our X1 can tackle it!

Of course, did various hill climbs throughout the day. Some of the rutted smaller ones were difficult but the most nerve racking to first attempt was the Middle Wall climb and decent. Mind you, there are camps at the base -
seeing the little X1 up there drew some attention but again it handled the climb and descent no problem. This picture does NOT do the size of this wall justice!

Lastly, a shot of camp after everything was packed away.

Until next time!

Appreciate 1
toejam0.00
      11-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #58
carsar12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Garage List
Thinking about raising our M-sport for my wife. Looking for a raised seating position and getting rid of the chuck wagon harshness. The dealer installed Dinan Stage 2 and lowering springs before we bought it and lowered it down to the jounce bumpers. We later found out that they used a lowering kit for a 335. So how does the change in tire diameter affect the speedo and shift points and how much can I expect to gain in height from the Eibach springs over a car that sits 3/4" lower than a regular M-sport?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #59
blantonator
Rep
Drives: e30

Just read through the post and maybe I missed it. Will the 225/55/18 fit with the lift, but with no other modifications?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #60
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsar12 View Post
Thinking about raising our M-sport for my wife. Looking for a raised seating position and getting rid of the chuck wagon harshness. The dealer installed Dinan Stage 2 and lowering springs before we bought it and lowered it down to the jounce bumpers. We later found out that they used a lowering kit for a 335. So how does the change in tire diameter affect the speedo and shift points and how much can I expect to gain in height from the Eibach springs over a car that sits 3/4" lower than a regular M-sport?
Hmm, if they kept stock shocks on the car then swapping to the Eibach lift springs should give around 1.75" lift compared to what you have now.

Tire diameter did change shift points and also puts the engine in boost a fair amount more, translating to lower MPG. I wouldn't recommend 225/55/18 to anyone unless they had to have an All Terrain tire (this is the smallest 18" A/T I could find).

The issue I have with recommending the lift kit to anyone is that it throws the alignment off a fair amount, at which point camber plates are needed to actually correct it. I'd start off swapping to stock X1 springs to see how it rides/feels, and maybe only a slightly oversized tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonator View Post
Just read through the post and maybe I missed it. Will the 225/55/18 fit with the lift, but with no other modifications?
Rear portion of the fender well needs to be modified - there's a pinch weld that gets in the way with my wheel specs. Perhaps one wouldn't have to modify it if they were using higher offset wheels but I like the slight poke look, so it was worth it to me.

As far as an updates to this thread, I've had my timing chain (and other relevant parts) replaced with the updated part numbers under my CPO warranty. I had the car in the dealership for thermostat failure and the tech working on the car was kind enough to push for this replacement. I was quite happy when they gave me the good news!

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #61
Helmutx3
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 X3d

Lifting X3 like your X1

I read your various posts about your X1 project. It is great to piggyback on your research, and your posts have really helped me formulate what I want to do with my 2016 X3d.

I have been considering getting a new non-BMW vehicle that will permit me to simply drive on more dirt roads in forest service or BLM jurisdictions. I don't want to be a wild 4x4 enthusiast, but having recently rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Subaru Forrester on my last few driving trips, I think my X3 could be just as effective on modest offroad terrain if it was lifted by perhaps 1.5 to 2 inches, and had better tires. I am thinking "why give up my 30+MPG and all the comforts of my X3 to switch to a SUB, Jeep, or Forerunner?" . . . I think I want to do what you did!

Since I am not a DYI guy, but I live very close to you in Ventura, can you suggest a BMW independent shop or two which might help me with the Eibach mods, etc.? I want to do same rims as yours, and probably same tires as you (although maybe with my slightly bigger vehicle I can go to 255/55/R18's which opens up a bigger selection of Tires. I have a 2015 Sprinter 4x4 with General Tires that I like.

Anyway, your posts have really helped me decide on keeping my X3, and now I am looking for professional help on making the mods. Any suggestions about where to take the X3 is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #62
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmutx3 View Post
I read your various posts about your X1 project. It is great to piggyback on your research, and your posts have really helped me formulate what I want to do with my 2016 X3d.

I have been considering getting a new non-BMW vehicle that will permit me to simply drive on more dirt roads in forest service or BLM jurisdictions. I don't want to be a wild 4x4 enthusiast, but having recently rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Subaru Forrester on my last few driving trips, I think my X3 could be just as effective on modest offroad terrain if it was lifted by perhaps 1.5 to 2 inches, and had better tires. I am thinking "why give up my 30+MPG and all the comforts of my X3 to switch to a SUB, Jeep, or Forerunner?" . . . I think I want to do what you did!

Since I am not a DYI guy, but I live very close to you in Ventura, can you suggest a BMW independent shop or two which might help me with the Eibach mods, etc.? I want to do same rims as yours, and probably same tires as you (although maybe with my slightly bigger vehicle I can go to 255/55/R18's which opens up a bigger selection of Tires. I have a 2015 Sprinter 4x4 with General Tires that I like.

Anyway, your posts have really helped me decide on keeping my X3, and now I am looking for professional help on making the mods. Any suggestions about where to take the X3 is greatly appreciated.
Sorry for late reply but speaking USFS & BLM is my language If you haven't already got the info, here are some details:

www.europeanautosource.com is an Eibach dealer located in Anaheim, and it looks like Eibach does make the lift kit for the X3. They are the ones who installed my lift springs without a hitch. However, I'd contact Eibach (or ask the shop) if camber plates will be needed to achieve a correct alignment after install - this would have been needed on the X1 if I cared about keeping alignment within stock specs (which, I didn't care so much due to the super high treadwear rating on the all terrains).

As far as tires, I'd hop on TireRack.com and see if there are any good OEM sized all terrain tires. Perhaps size up the width by 10mm or so. I wouldn't advise changing profile size as I did, just because it throws off quite a few things (and technically, a lot of shops won't even install it). Regardless, tire size will depend on your stock size, which is already larger than the X1 stock size.

www.velocitymotoring.com for the VMR Wheels. VMR sells direct but they also have a dealer network. After years of use I've had zero issues whatsoever.

4x4 Sprinter on General All Terrains sounds badass!!

...And with that I need to update this thread with the unfortunate news that my X1 is back to stock and will be sold soon. It's still got 6mo of CPO but it's time to move on. After having the oversized tires and lift for so long stock tires & suspension makes this thing feel so low! Great car, I really enjoyed it, and even more enjoyed the looks on others' faces when taking it off road!

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #63
dingo ate my baby
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 20D Xdrive

I second tiltmode43 about some tyre shops not wanting to fit upsized tyres. I had a hell of time here in Aus doing that. Bloody bunch of pricks! lol

Good luck.

More pic tiltmode43

Clark Griswold X1
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #64
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Hey everyone, really cool X1s in here. Almost makes me with I got one instead.

Coming over here from the X3/4 forums looking for some advice. Stock tire size on the X4 is about 245/50/18. I'm upsized to 255/55/18 all around. I had to modify the fender liner to eliminate all but some very slight rubbing on full lock in reverse. With my upsized tires, I'm sitting about 1.5" higher than stock without a lift.

There are some pics of my car here if you're interested: https://www.instagram.com/alpine_f26/

Anyway, I'm thinking about a lift either with spacers, springs, or springs + shocks. My main concern is, given that I'm already sitting 1.5" over stock, another 1.5" through springs might be a bit too much for the suspension, both in a comfort/handling sense and in a camber/wear+tear sense. With all that said, I have a few questions:

1. Those of you with the eibach springs, how has the ride changed/not changed? On one hand, I've seen positive reviews of the increased stiffness, but also some people saying it made the ride uncomfortably harsh.

2. At 3" of total lift with the tires and springs, would shocks be a necessity or at least advisable? How have those of you with the Bilstein B6 liked them?

3. Would a simple spacer lift perhaps be the better option? My main goal is a sturdier, more aggressive stance than stock, butif the camber, shocks, etc. are too troublesome to deal with for a bigger lift I may just downsize the tires and stick with springs only.

Really appreciate any help you guys can offer!

Last edited by 335iAP; 09-08-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #65
BoulderAV
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1, 2008 X3, 2005 325xi

I have a 2015 X1 that is about to come off its CPO and have been looking to make some upgrades. I live in the foothills of Colorado and the extra ground clearance of a lift would be nice. I have looked at the Eibach Pro Lift Kit and was wondering if anyone has experience with a car where the camber plates have been changed (and what solution they went with).
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #66
nik379
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 E84, F31

Hi, enjoyed this thread so much. Thought to post a pic of my raised X1
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
NYBulldog1309.00
Ecomo0.00