XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Takata airbag recall

So...how does everyone feel about the recall. I checked my VIN with BMW Customer service and my car does, indeed, have the faulty airbag inflators.

BMW says initial letters go out this month informing owners of the recall and a second letter will go out sometime in the future when parts become available to replace the suspect inflators.

Customer rep indicated that it could be some time before parts are available.

To this point, no BMWs have been involved in the deaths linked to these faulty inflators, but that doesn't do much to make me feel better. The latest death was just this past December in Georgia. A man driving a Ford Ranger was killed from metal fragments from the inflators when his airbag went off. Supposedly, older cars in warm, humid climates are more susceptible because, apparently, the humidity is supposed to degrade the ammonium nitrate in the explosive charge, in the igniter. Over time, the humidity gets into the igniter and causes the problem.

He said that, because I'm driving a 2015 model and live in New England, I'm at less risk. But....how the hell does he know and I'm not too comfortable with any amount of risk of having a little fender bender that sets off my airbag and having metal shrapnel shoot into my head and kill me.

How do those of you feel that are living in a hot humid climate like Florida or Texas and driving 2013 models, that are three years old?

There are millions of these airbags being recalled....I think 840,000 BMWs just in this last recall alone. What are your options????

Customer relations said it could be up to two years before all the igniters are replaced. I don't think I'm comfortable driving with this Takata inflator for two years. I can't trade the car in. I checked with a friend of mine that runs a Toyota dealership and he said all X1s are on the "no sell" list now. He said they wouldn't even take one in trade at any price because they would then be unable to sell it.

Customer relations said that a certain number of people from the last BMW airbag recall were given loaner cars to drive while they waited for their airbag replacement. He said many owners have been in rentals since last July and are still waiting!!! I called my local dealership, where I bought the car and they said that might be possible for me. They said all the loaners would not be BMWs though. He said that all the loaners would be from local rental agencies. So what do I do? Turn my car in and have them stick it in some back lot for two years while they wait for parts? I'll be making payments on a car I can't drive and cruising around in some Hyundai Accent from the local enterprise rent a car shop? Just drive it and hope for the best?

What are you guys doing here? Anybody concerned?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:36 PM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

I'm up in Vancouver, Canada and I'm not exactly comfortable with it. That said I did check and mine isn't part of the recall.

I'm wondering if there is a way to disable the airbag for the time being?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

As I understand it, the danger increases over time. So I'm not too worried having a 2015 vehicle, even if it takes a couple of years for them to get around to fixing it.

And no, you should NOT disable your airbag. Having no airbag at all is much, much worse than having a potentially dangerous one.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

The Dealer Should...

Provide a 'Flak Jacket' when you buy the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Just learned mine is recalled. Ugh
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

Had mine at the dealer today for service and they alerted me to this. 2013 Xdrive 28. They told me I wouldn't be able to trade it in until the recall was done and I said fine I'm not trading it in until 2018 when it's five years old and they said they don't think the work would even be done by then.... So I now own a car that might kill me and it's worth zero dollars because I can't sell it to anyone because it might kill them.... Nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Yeah that's a long time... You could pressure the dealer to trade yours in first, especially since the older models are more susceptible. But when it's time to trade it in, if you're trading in to a BMW, you could raise stink with the dealer to take it airbag fix or no since it's their problem
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #8
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep

They were pretty point blank about no possibility of trading it in. It's not really their fault as they'd be stuck with a car they can't sell either. They kept telling me to sell it 3rd party. I was like I'm not even ready for 2 more years, why are they telling me to 3rd party sell it. It didn't really bother me so much until I got home and read more about the reason for the recall. I'm ok with waiting a bit because what else can you do, but I will be really mad tho if my car is suddenly or still worth nothing in a couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I wanted to trade into an i3 no dice. No one will touch my x1. They should at least offer a trade in right? With a decent deal?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

I just checked and mine is in the list. 2014 and I live in Florida. I understand the parts are not avaliable yet but how is this my problem? I don't want to sitting on a lot in the sun for 2 years with the paint fading while I drive Kia Rio either.

Is there any legal recourse other than a class action?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #11
outlawdevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Fark, just did the VIn search. My car is on the list. 2015 X1 28i

Here is the link if you want to find out.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #12
12 Handicap
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 S28 I

Oh hell no. I didn't pay for this BMW not to be able to do with it as I want. Class action should be easy, it was already conceded that Takata was at fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Huh, no recall on mine yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

This IS a BMW issue. I bought a BMW vehicle - I did not buy a Takaya airbag. BMW is charged with properly vetting all of its vendors. BMW chose Takata - BMW is responsible for its poor choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius
Huh, no recall on mine yet.
LUCKY!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #16
X1_AJG
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 S28i

2015 X1 s28i...damn, on the list.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #17
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Hopefully I'll be dumping mine tomorrow. Been thinking about a Toyota 4Runner for my next vehicle. Wasn't planning to trade for a couple years though. My BMW dealer basically told me that my vehicle is worthless, as well. I inquired about trading in and they basically led me to the door and said "don't call us, we'll call you." Mind you....this is my 5th BMW, so I'm a good customer. They now treat me like I have the plague. I've been shopping my car around and most dealerships tell me my car is on the "no sell" list and has no value until the recall is performed in several years. But...I found a dealership that is willing to take it and offered full trade value....lucky break....I left a deposit tonight. I've grown tired of my dealership's arrogance and BMW's horrible resale values.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 03:30 AM   #18
andybmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1 xdrive 28i

Just checked my Vin and its on the list!!! I just hope i don't get into an accident... Should i even bother installing my BC RACING COILOVERS? I HAVE 2015 X1 28I....Love my x1...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #19
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

If the recall is fixed in a few months I wouldn't worry about it. But if it's a few years that I have a worthless car that's another issue

I called BMW and they said no loaner cars and no timeline.

I emailed Steve Lehro(japlonik lawyer) and he doesn't think there is much legal recourse if BMW follows the recall process.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #20
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxx1918 View Post
Hopefully I'll be dumping mine tomorrow. Been thinking about a Toyota 4Runner for my next vehicle. Wasn't planning to trade for a couple years though. My BMW dealer basically told me that my vehicle is worthless, as well. I inquired about trading in and they basically led me to the door and said "don't call us, we'll call you." Mind you....this is my 5th BMW, so I'm a good customer. They now treat me like I have the plague. I've been shopping my car around and most dealerships tell me my car is on the "no sell" list and has no value until the recall is performed in several years. But...I found a dealership that is willing to take it and offered full trade value....lucky break....I left a deposit tonight. I've grown tired of my dealership's arrogance and BMW's horrible resale values.
Take their money and run... I've been worried since this is my first BMW(3 Minis before this) and I've no relationship with my dealer other than a couple of oil changes since I moved from out of state. I thought people who had been with BMW longer would get treated better before me. Guess not...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #21
Redsoxx1918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Sold

Well, sorry to see her go but I traded in my X1 today. Several dealerships told me that my car was worthless until the recall was performed because they would be unable to sell my car. Found a high volume Toyota dealership and they offered full KBB trade in value on my X1 and sold me a 4Runner under invoice. I took it and ran.

I've always loved BMW. This was my 5th.

Lately, I've been a little upset with BMW. First, they abandon their roots and go to FWD on some of their vehicles. Then...they take away the right to transfer the free maintenance to the new owner if you sell your car. That's a big hit! Then....they cut the free maintenance to 3 years and cut the number of parts covered starting with 2017 model year cars.

Then....I go to my dealership....where I've bought 5 BMWs and 4 Acuras.....I'm a good customer....and they send me away like I have the plague....refusing to take my car in trade or do anything to help me. Tried to buy a new BMW and I can't even get a return call or email. I was told it could be two years before they get to me in the recall because they will be tending to older cars and cars from the hot humid south, first. They basically said, "Best of luck...don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

I may return to BMW someday in the future, but if I do, it'll be at a different dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #22
603X1
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1

Thanks for this posting didn't know BMW'S were installed with Takata airbags.I'm leasing the X1 right now so thy have to take it back once the lease is up,correct?
Appreciate 0