XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #67
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
If that was as simple as u just made it out to be... then one would genuinely have to be almost retarded not to take up that offer...
my current boss is a great example...of 80% of the pay 50% of the hours.

he was in investment banking at UBS and BoA. Probably made salary of $350k + bonus but working 60-80 hour weeks, 12 hour days.

Today, he definitely is 40 hours a week with kids, and I imagine he makes close to $300k, definitely no less than 200k. Bought a $2mm house in SF, wife doesn't work. Fuck he's only 3 years older than me.

In fact, a shit ton of bankers and corporate lawyers do this...bust ass between ages 23-35, then "retire" to a slower pace work. I have more direct examples if you're curious.

To these people, it's not about whether these opportunities are out there, they are out there. It's about when they will want to make the switch. How important is career development and top earnings vs free time?
      06-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #68
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:
If that was as simple as u just made it out to be... then one would genuinely have to be almost retarded not to take up that offer...
my current boss is a great example...of 80% of the pay 50% of the hours.

he was in investment banking at UBS and BoA. Probably made salary of $350k + bonus but working 60-80 hour weeks, 12 hour days.

Today, he definitely is 40 hours a week with kids, and I imagine he makes close to $300k, definitely no less than 200k. Bought a $2mm house in SF, wife doesn't work. Fuck he's only 3 years older than me.

In fact, a shit ton of bankers and corporate lawyers do this...bust ass between ages 23-35, then "retire" to a slower pace work. I have more direct examples if you're curious.

To these people, it's not about whether these opportunities are out there, they are out there. It's about when they will want to make the switch. How important is career development and top earnings vs free time?
My opinion and strictly my opinion, is that if you are holding off on an opportunity of this sort or if it is truly currently available, then u may just be an idiot to sacrifice 50% more of your time for 20% more money...

...again, just one man's opinion...
      06-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #69
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My opinion and strictly my opinion, is that if you are holding off on an opportunity of this sort or if it is truly currently available, then u may just be an idiot to sacrifice 50% more of your time for 20% more money...

yeah, but that 20% we're talking about is $70k or so... plus bonus.

That is no chump change. It'll get you a F80...every year that you stick with it. Let that sink in and tell someone an extra $70k + bonus (again EVERY YEAR) isn't worth it.
      06-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #70
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
Quote:

yeah, but that 20% we're talking about is $70k or so... plus bonus.

That is no chump change. It'll get you a F80...every year that you stick with it. Let that sink in and tell someone an extra $70k + bonus (again EVERY YEAR) isn't worth it.
I mean not to me... only way to buy me is $/hr... haha
      06-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #71
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Flying Ace I have heard that some people in Big Law work their butts off early in their career, collect money, and then start to work a slower pace of life, however, with a bigger cushion. Fun to talk to these people because a lot of time, they find it hard to turn down the money.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #72
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Flying Ace I have heard that some people in Big Law work their butts off early in their career, collect money, and then start to work a slower pace of life, however, with a bigger cushion. Fun to talk to these people because a lot of time, they find it hard to turn down the money.
yep...

A close family friend, she's 32 right now. Graduated from UC Berkeley law school after undergrad.

She went straight into an associate at Sullivan and Cromwell. She worked in m&a and securities law. Basically, it's investment banking hours, in fact, it's worst than banking hours b/c the lawyers have tighter deadlines than the bankers to do their DDs and what not.

Anyways, she put this in up to age 27-ish, quit and now works at corporate law. She works for a IT company in bay area. She's paid probably 20-30% less, but she has much much much more time now.
      06-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #73
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

I work in investment banking. I started right out of college as an Analyst. For the first two to three years I worked 80 - 100 hours per week, every week. I would regularly go home, shower, go to bed, wake up, and go back to the office. I didn't take my first week-long vacation until 16 months into the job. It was pretty brutal.

As I moved up in the organization, my hours kept getting better and better, and now I work 55 - 65 hours per week (obviously there are good weeks and bad weeks). I don't plan to do this forever, but right now the money is too good to walk away.

TL;DR: Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy an M4 (and that makes me very, very happy)
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #74
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo View Post
I work in investment banking. I started right out of college as an Analyst. For the first two to three years I worked 80 - 100 hours per week, every week. I would regularly go home, shower, go to bed, wake up, and go back to the office. I didn't take my first week-long vacation until 16 months into the job. It was pretty brutal.

As I moved up in the organization, my hours kept getting better and better, and now I work 55 - 65 hours per week (obviously there are good weeks and bad weeks). I don't plan to do this forever, but right now the money is too good to walk away.

TL;DR: Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy an M4 (and that makes me very, very happy)
haha good stuff. How many years are you into your investment banking career?

I concur, money can buy you a M4, which makes you happy, problem is, you'll also find out as you make more money, you have less time to enjoy your stuff you purchase to make you happy.

That's the case with my M3. I bought it in 2010, and I've used it less than my prior car, when I has making 50% less income, but had a ton more free time.
      06-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #75
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

It's a trade off and depends on the person really. IMO a lot of people want the work-life balance but they usually just go home after work and chill. If you're not doing much with your time then you might as well work. And if you're working longer hours you could work in IB.

I personally don't mind long hours as long as the work is exciting and interesting. I'm talking about 10-12 hour days here and there. Not sure if I would be up for that kind of hours every single day (and weekends). For me, as long as I have time to relax and be able to go on vacations I'm all for it. A lot of people are successful in the sense that they make a lot of money yet they don't have time to travel or see the world. Since I like to explore, not having time to travel would be a big no-no no matter how much the job pays.

Last year I traveled 4-5 months out of the year. How many millionaires can say they're able to do that? So do whatever makes you happy but keep in mind that the key word is HAPPY. Money can buy you a lot of things but it can't buy time.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #76
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
IMO a lot of people want the work-life balance but they usually just go home after work and chill.
My IT skills and experience could net me at least double, but I have the time and freedom to coach/watch my son in sports. I even volunteer and do the field maintenance during baseball season. Still go to the gym and run and swim in the evenings. Have the luxury of going to any of the (grand) nieces/nephews games as well.

Or, if we are bored and the wife doesn't want to cook, we just go to a restaurant.

And I STILL sell back the max 160 hours of leave each year.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #77
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
I'm on a literary kick today, so I'll give you Hunter S. Thompson, all the more apropos since this is a car forum:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!?
Like it.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #78
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My IT skills and experience could net me at least double, but I have the time and freedom to coach/watch my son in sports. I even volunteer and do the field maintenance during baseball season. Still go to the gym and run and swim in the evenings. Have the luxury of going to any of the (grand) nieces/nephews games as well.

Or, if we are bored and the wife doesn't want to cook, we just go to a restaurant.

That sounds like the life to live. A nice mix of work and personal life.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #79
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Going home at 11:30PM on a Friday night only to have to go back in a few hours? Eff that! No wonder your girlfriend is pissed.

I did not see a question in your post, but I think you're asking if you should stay the course or chill out.

Since you like your job and everybody else in NYC works 24/7 (quite the norm), you may as well stay the course.

The only way I'd work those amount of hours is 1) I worked for myself, 2) I were a surgeon
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #80
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Fuck Wallstreet.

You work 16 hour days and drive a 228i? It's never going to be worth it.

You need to be making around $350k for it to approach worth it. You'd have the same quality of life making around $150k in Dallas, Houston, or even Chicago.
Do you realize how incredibly expensive it is to own and park/garage a vehicle in NYC? Even a 228 *gasp*

Probably higher than the monthly average mortgage for most folks.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #81
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY10 View Post
I work on Wall Street and even though it closes at 4 Mon - Fri I usually don't leave my office until after 9.

Work is usually 15-16 hour days at least 5 days a week sometimes weekends too.

Finding the balance between working hard and still having a life. I put in for my vacation this week for Dec and I have to make sure my dates are even approved first.

I know my job is stressful and there's a lot of running around, staring at computers, talking on the phone. When I get home I shower eat a little something and want to be in peace. My friends complain cause I never hang out my girl is impossible because we never see each other and she feels that she always has to call me.

I'm on the phone all day I don't want to do the same at night. I love my job and what I do so slowing down and switching paths now isn't an option.

I do know I'm exhausted by the time I leave. It's 11:40 now and I'm on the train heading home to sleep for a few hours before I go back into the office tomorrow (Saturday) to finish a deadline.
Was there a "question" in there?

I believe you are asking, "Do we agree or how do we find a balance?"

I am Middle Aged, married, father of 2. I have been self-employed for over a decade. I have previously worked as a Policeman, IT and Mortgage.
What I will tell you is this: There is absolutely NO job or income I would accept that requires that many hours of my time/life no matter the compensation! There is absolutely NOTHING more important in this world than "TIME"! Be it personal, family, leisure, etc. Money is NOT everything. Yet society has 'programmed' us (at least try desperately!) to believe that it is.
Our lifespan is really but a breeze in the wind. You MUST enjoy "life". And if for anyone their "life" revolves around money... You are truly lost. Now there is nothing wrong with desiring or aspiring a certain comfort level. But again, my "Time and Stress levels" are FAR more important to me and my circle than chasing money. At the very least, I would not work the way you are doing for more than a handful of years and back when I was in my 20's.
      06-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #82
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post

Wow, you can sell back unused leave time? Sweet. We just lose it if we don 't use it, except when you leave a position or retire. Then you get the payout.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #83
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Wow, you can sell back unused leave time? Sweet. We just lose it if we don 't use it, except when you leave a position or retire. Then you get the payout.
I don't know what they are going to do when I go on the cruise in July, or more importantly to Mexico/Peru next Spring. I am an Army of One in IT. We went a full fiscal year with an approval for a part-timer, but still nothing. I finally took a copy of my job description and removed/modified the things a part-timer won't be doing, and sent it over to HR, because I WILL be getting on that plane next Spring, come hell or high water.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #84
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

finally worked 9-5 the last couple days, but I think I did it wrong? is it supposed to be 9pm to 5pm?

Goddam municipalities and their water shutdown timelines...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #85
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
finally worked 9-5 the last couple days, but I think I did it wrong? is it supposed to be 9pm to 5pm?

Goddam municipalities and their water shutdown timelines...
Ouch.

Worst shift I ever pulled was 24hrs straight on a job site. No sleep. Was barely able to drive home after.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #86
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Ouch.

Worst shift I ever pulled was 24hrs straight on a job site. No sleep. Was barely able to drive home after.
yeah if i sat down for more than 10 minutes i was out. 3 straight days of that while we were shutting down various pipelines and pump stations for some rehab work.

I shoulda bought stock in 5hr energy.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #87
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

My old job had similar hours. There was a day that i worked from 8am until 6am the next day, didnt leave the office once... It started becoming more and more consistent.

So what did i do? I exited to a smaller private equity shop with a better work life balance. i even got a bump in salary.

Start talking to recruiters, take those linkedin messages seriously, these guys mean business. If youre in IB, i suggest trying to get into PE instead.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #88
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Or completely out of regulated Finance. The environment does lend itself to growth as far as I could tell. I would go into Government and secure a high paying salary
Appreciate 0