XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Anybody using Samsung S7, edge or note?

My Galaxy s4 has been giving sim card errors--changed the card and opened the thing up with no success, so, think it is on the out. Been a great phone for more than 3 years. Was wondering if anyone here has the new model in any of the three forms and how they like it. While I use several apple products at home and work I prefer the Android platform for the phone.
      08-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

I have the s7 edge. It's what I'm typing this message on. Takes time to get use to the edge. It's leaps better than the s4.
      08-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Man hold onto it just a bit longer..... S8/8+ due out in March

I still have a S6 edge and my S4 is my travel phone... hold out. I mean you've thoughed it out with the S4 for this long might as well
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      08-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I have the S7 active, after a few drunken S6 breakages. There isn't much of a difference between those two, but a large improvement from the S5.
      08-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Man hold onto it just a bit longer..... S8/8+ due out in March

I still have a S6 edge and my S4 is my travel phone... hold out. I mean you've thoughed it out with the S4 for this long might as well
I would like to--I'm not a need the latest and greatest thing type of guy, but my phone is getting a restart 1-5 times per day and the battery is draining faster as well.
      08-27-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

My Note is absolute dog shit garbage. Crashes, horrible battery life, and slow.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm crawling back to Apple after 4 years with Android. Apple just makes a better phone, despite not having the specs.m
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 01:12 AM   #7
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
My Note is absolute dog shit garbage. Crashes, horrible battery life, and slow.

As much as I hate to say it, I'm crawling back to Apple after 4 years with Android. Apple just makes a better phone, despite not having the specs.m
Complete oposite experience. My Note 5 is the best phone I've ever had. I can signed documents on it, has arguably the best camera second only to the S7 and new Note 7, it comes in dual sim which I love and not offered by Apple, the display makes the iPhone look like an etch-a-sketch, I can download files right to the phone, the S pen is an amazingly usable tool, and on top of the many features it looks ten times better than any iPhone.

I'll admit the iPhone is faster and smoother in operating its native apps, it's simpler to use because you can't personalise anything, unlike an Android which lets you customize your phone as you like, from font size and color on icons to how they're arranged to a hosts of widgets on the lock screen, most of which can't be done on an Apple device.

I was a long time Apple iPhone nut since the beginning, and all my home computing is done on Macs and my family all still use iPhones, but for me the flexibility offered by Android offers a more rich and rewarding experience. Getting a Note 7 in a few weeks.

If your phone crashes that much there must be something in the way it was used, certain software on it, you're trolling or which Note? Is it outdated...
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      08-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #8
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

I had the s6 edge plus and now use the note 7. I've notice my 2016 340i seems to be more compatible with the note 7 as I have had absolutely no issue with communication while the s6 seems to randomly stop working. Both phones have average sound output but excellent screen resolution ans cameras. Right now I rate the bote 7 a 9 out of 10 and the s6e+ a 7 of 10

PS Apple phone stop competing with droid phones back with the iPhone 4
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #9
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
I have the Note Edge...best phone I ever had. I don't think they make these any more. Shame...has a more pronounced edge than the S6 or S7 edge, and the scroll bar is awesome.
      08-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
You do realize that the "old" 6s is faster than the new Note? Just sayin'...

http://bgr.com/2016/08/26/iphone-7-v...e-tests-power/
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Wifeys got a S6, power enough

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #12
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

Yes, iPhones will always be faster. Their hardware, OS and native apps are built for seamless function by one designer.
Android can't compete with that seemless one design model. But the speed isn't dramatically faster, and the new Androids out feature iPhones by a landslide in my opinion. However, I would admit Android phones are for tinkerers, iPhones are for people who don't appreciate individuality in configuration, they don't care about hard parked icons or widgets.

Just like cars, great to have choices, I'm happy I can find the phone I want and others too.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Daz330cd
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 330cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Complete oposite experience. My Note 5 is the best phone I've ever had. I can signed documents on it, has arguably the best camera second only to the S7 and new Note 7, it comes in dual sim which I love and not offered by Apple, the display makes the iPhone look like an etch-a-sketch, I can download files right to the phone, the S pen is an amazingly usable tool, and on top of the many features it looks ten times better than any iPhone.

I'll admit the iPhone is faster and smoother in operating its native apps, it's simpler to use because you can't personalise anything, unlike an Android which lets you customize your phone as you like, from font size and color on icons to how they're arranged to a hosts of widgets on the lock screen, most of which can't be done on an Apple device.

I was a long time Apple iPhone nut since the beginning, and all my home computing is done on Macs and my family all still use iPhones, but for me the flexibility offered by Android offers a more rich and rewarding experience. Getting a Note 7 in a few weeks.

If your phone crashes that much there must be something in the way it was used, certain software on it, you're trolling or which Note? Is it outdated...
Agree with all of this. I too was an Apple fan from the start. After several I quickly realised they're all the same. No change to the format in ten years now.
Had the Note 2, 3 & now the 4. I'm due an upgrade next month so I'll be having the 7 edge.
      08-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #14
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

One thing that just reminded me of for the S6/7, is the calls sometimes cut out from poor reception. The symptoms are you hearing the other line perfectly fine, but they cannot hear you. It's an easy fix, you just need to disable "Enhanced LTE/4g Services" under the mobile data section.

This only really happens when you drop less than 3 bars of connectivity to the tower.
      08-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #15
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

NO most of us have good taste here We love Apple products
      08-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #16
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
I have the Note Edge...best phone I ever had. I don't think they make these any more. Shame...has a more pronounced edge than the S6 or S7 edge, and the scroll bar is awesome.
I looked at a note and an edge and the screens appear identical and the reviews say the same. Suppose it comes down to is the pen stylus and that cool coral color worth the extra $100 for the note7.
      08-28-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post

It's a Note 5. You ask if I'm trolling as if it's common knowledge Android phones are better than Apple. At minimum the jury is out. Apple somehow uses its RAM and computing power much more efficiently. Samsung phones and the Atrix I had have never been remotely as smooth, but have better and bigger screens/cameras. Phone cameras are still not a match for my DSLR, so the "better" cameras in the newer Androids aren't a selling point anymore.

I have been an Android user since the iPhone 3GS. I've had basically every Galaxy and also had a Note 3.

The Galaxy S3 was the best phone I've owned, but I've had too many problems with basic crap lately. I could post a picture of my Note 5 losing all battery power after 50% charge or tell you my Gallery and Google Maps apps constantly crash, my phone restarts, my texting is slow and buggy, but you'll just say I'm trolling.

Honestly, We need to see the iPhone 7 before we say the camera war is clearly Samsung. Apple is going to make a pretty significant leap in camera tech this round and screen clarity on a device this small is still negligible. Phones with QHD screens like Samsung look slightly better, but if it comes at the cost of rendering everything slower than an "old" iPhone 6s, I'm no longer interested. The iPhone 6s Plus screen is 1080p and looks fine.

Samsung is the absolute worst with RAM management and as another poster pointed out, is still getting beaten by old iPhones.

I want to like Samsung, but their phones aren't utilizing their specs and seem to be worse with age than other people I know with iPhones.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #18
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz330cd View Post
Agree with all of this. I too was an Apple fan from the start. After several I quickly realised they're all the same. No change to the format in ten years now.
Had the Note 2, 3 & now the 4. I'm due an upgrade next month so I'll be having the 7 edge.
I've had a couple Notes and even more galaxy phones. Let's get real...those are all the same too with better screens, cameras, and faster processors. Al the novelty crap Samsung throws out there usually doesn't stick for long. Everyone is doing somewhat incremental improvements.

Not sure what people want their phone to do...it's not going to teleport you to the moon.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #19
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

This video really says it all. Anyone buying an Android bc of processor specs is shut down in this. This is reality. I use Android and constantly curse how slow it is opening apps in daily life. I couldn't care less about specs if real world use is slow and IT IS. I haven't owned an iPhone in years, but I always see people using them with butter smooth and fast results and admittedly get jealous.

It's inexcusable how slowly Samsung phones work with the specs they have in the phone. Maybe it's screen resolution, but his other video shows that is negligible bc it ran the Same speed at 720p.

Apple is clearly better at optimizing and managing. I can understand buying Android for the screen, the customization, or just a slightly different design...but anyone buying for speed, amount of ram, cores, or Ghz is getting a subpar product in the real world.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 08-28-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #20
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
This video really says it all. Anyone buying an Android bc of processor specs is shut down in this. This is reality. I use Android and constantly curse how slow it is opening apps in daily life. I couldn't care less about specs if real world use is slow and IT IS. I have owned an iPhone in years, but I always see people using them with butter smooth and fast results and admittedly get jealous.

It's inexcusable how slowly Samsung phones work with the specs they have in the phone. Maybe it's screen resolution, but his other video shows that is negligible bc it ran the Same speed at 720p.

Apple is clearly better at optimizing and managing. I can understand buying Android for the screen, the customization, or just a slightly different design...but anyone buying for speed, amount of ram, cores, or Ghz is getting a subpar product in the real world.
Yeah, that video makes me question whether an iphone6 would be a better choice. The whole "phone lap" thing is sort of irrelevant since no one does that. I understand the concept. What I use my phone the most for is messaging, talking, camera, forums via chrome, facebook....and screen quality is pretty important. Didn't want this to be an Iphone vs Android thread, but now that has come into question.
      08-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #21
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Yeah, that video makes me question whether an iphone6 would be a better choice. The whole "phone lap" thing is sort of irrelevant since no one does that. I understand the concept. What I use my phone the most for is messaging, talking, camera, forums via chrome, facebook....and screen quality is pretty important. Didn't want this to be an Iphone vs Android thread, but now that has come into question.
Just get an iPhone 7 in less than 2 weeks. It will be even faster and will at least improve the camera and screen to close that gap somewhat. People comparing the S7 and iPhone 6s are really comparing new versus 1 year old.

The Android screens are better, but you'll probably have a hard time noticing unless they are side by side. I like my note 5 screen and all, but I've used someone's iPhone 6s Plus and really don't think, oh this screen sucks. It looks good too. The screens are small, so it's not like a TV.

I'm so frustrated with Android, I'm willing to buy the iPhone out of cycle bc I don't want to wait for my contract to end.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #22
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Had a Note 4 and a S6 Edge Plus

Both were great phones, however, after they were updated to marshmallow, battery life TANKED.

Otherwise, the phones were miles ahead of my iPhone's.

I currently have 6s plus as the battery life is ridiculously good. I concede it's not as advanced as the androids, but battery life is important to me so the iPhone is good for now.

And don't tell me that crap about carrying a battery pack with you or buy a charging case, that's not practical for me.
Appreciate 0