10-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
Much more enjoyable than wife's old Q5, this at least provides some weekend fun when I can drive it.
How is it better than the Q5? The Q5 (or Q3 if available in USA) was my competing choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY View Post
How is it better than the Q5? The Q5 (or Q3 if available in USA) was my competing choice.
The Q5 sport and the SQ5 that I drove felt very heavy. The SQ5 sounded very busy and not refined. The SQ5 did not feel as quick accelerating as a X1 M sport 35i. The interior on the SQ5 was very nice and that almost caused me to over look all the other faults.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
Much more enjoyable than wife's old Q5, this at least provides some weekend fun when I can drive it.
Comparing Q5 2.0t and X1 28i xdrive

The Q5 takes the cake for ride comfort, long-distance touring and slight advantage for interior space interior quality and luggage capacity.

That said, the X1 wins in nearly every other category. As a whole it's more confidence inspiring in city, rural and expressway. Mechanically, no comparison. The power plant in the audi feels anemic and struggles to pull at highway merges or passing situations. The transmission, while reasonably competent in its class becomes shift-happy searching for the power and often overshoots the power curve requiring a manual up shift. We brought it in 4 times for trans software updates, it still suffered from jerky starts and over-zealous shifts. The ZF in the BMW is fantastic and has taken everything I've dished out...a great performer and equally smooth tourer. The extra power of the N20 makes a huge difference.

The suspension tuning is more like apples to pears. X1 borders sports sedan responsiveness and stability, with a touch of SUV stiffness. We did test the X3 and felt it too tall; loose and floating. The Q5 was much more responsive and direct than the X3, although did feel much heavier than the BMW.

The tech, again, no comparison. Audi MMI is intuitive but not nearly as powerful and capable as iDrive. BMW nav, much better.

Note: I have yet to take the X1 in the snow. The Q5 was stable but did slide controllably, typical Quattro handling. I expect xdrive to perform as well as my old e46 xi, but it is significantly stiffer which make lead to exciting breaks in traction.

Also, we have two kids, toddler and infant. X1 size has never been and issue but does require some Tetris here and there.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

No regrets at all with our X1 even with our 2.0 (184 h.p.) engine. It is really powerful covering all of our needs and super fun to drive. Fuel efficiency on the highway is really amazing. It's not great in the city, however. We've put about 3,500 Km in the car and the overall fuel consumption continues to improve. On a recent 4-hour drive we averaged 37 MPG (15.73 kmpl), so we are very happy overall. Our X-line came equipped with xenon headlights, 18" wheels, navigation system with iDrive, panoramic moonroof, parking sensors with active sound (no rearview camera but there is monitor that shows how close you're getting to an obstacle -- works great!) We added a Thule 2-bike roof rack. It's hands down the best car we've ever owned.

CoolGreany: The Audi Q3 (available here in Mexico) was also our close second. We had to test drive the X1 and Q3 a couple of times back to back to make our final decision.

Thing we liked about the Q3:

- Off-road capability. In fact, dealers here like taking people off-road to demonstrate how good this car is.
- Nicer interior with leather seats and other very attractive finishing touches
- Taller (obviously, that has pros and cons)
- Rear A/C vents

What we didn't like about the Q3:

- Turbo lag a lot more noticeable than on the X1. It was a little better than in our previous car (a VW Passat) but not by much
- The car had a tendency for instability (felt like fishtailing) around tight curves at high speeds. The X1, on the other hand, felt more stable (safer!)
- The electric steering was really light compared to the electric steering in the sDrive X1
- To get a panoramic moonroof, there was a big jump in price
- Not so pet friendly - In spite of the rear A/C vents, it is very unfortunate that the rear seats don't fold flat in the Q3 -- Really, a large pet (e.g., our German shepherd) sitting sideways would have a difficult time staying in place. The X1 is not perfect but it's much better

These are the things I remember from four months ago when we were shopping around for a new car. Why did you choose your X1 over the Audi, CoolGreany?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
Why did you choose your X1 over the Audi, CoolGreany?
I didn't want to go as big as the Q5 and the Q3 wasn't available in USA so the X1 was it!!

Thanks all for the Audi comparisons!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
kurtthewurt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 sDrive28i, Mineral Grey

I love my 2013 sDrive28i, but I have had a few issues I've noted over the last 10 months:

- The gas tank had a faulty valve and hoses that required a complete replacement of the fuel tank and attachments. Took 3 days and removal of the rear seat, which don't seem to fit quite as tightly anymore for some reason.

- Gas mileage hasn't been all that great (on the order of 20-23mpg combined), but that's also due to the fact that I may have a lead foot. It's such a fun car to drive!

- The start/stop system is absolutely awful; the whole car jerks when restarting and it doesn't even work half the time. BMW needs to spend a little money in their R&D department to get that worked out. Had my dealer set the feature to default to off.

- Standard halogen low beams are quite dim - I'm strongly considering (and even have made non-binding arrangements) to do a xenon retrofit, which will cost at least $1700 if not more ($2500 if all parts purchased at a dealer). You're better off just getting the lighting package.

- The stock sound system sounds terrific up front, but it's a bit anemic in the rear. But I love that I can stream my music (and phone calls of course) via iDrive (provided you have the Navigation). Speaking of iDrive, I really don't think the parking sensors or rear-view camera are at all necessary - I can parallel park my X1 into teeny tiny spaces quite easily. Visibility is decent, and maneuverability is very very good.

- The car isn't very wide - great for parking, but not so great with 3 adults in the back seat.

However, the X1 continues to be a joy to drive every day, and can hold a surprisingly gigantic amount of stuff with the seats folded down. I moved into a whole new apartment with this thing (minus the full-size couch), and performance is really impressive. The ride is firm but not jarring, and the vehicle feels VERY solid, no squeaks, rattles, or hollow thunks to be heard.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #29
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Thought I would share some of my "divergent" opinions on the previous post, for the OP's possible benefit. My responses in CAPS. I also have a 2013 sDrive 28i, coming on one year old this Thanksgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtthewurt View Post
I love my 2013 sDrive28i, but I have had a few issues I've noted over the last 10 months:

- The gas tank had a faulty valve and hoses that required a complete replacement of the fuel tank and attachments. Took 3 days and removal of the rear seat, which don't seem to fit quite as tightly anymore for some reason.
SORRY TO HEAR THAT. MY ONLY PROBLEM WAS A LOW COOLANT ALERT ABOUT A MONTH AGO. THERE'S A THREAD ON THAT, AS A FEW OTHERS HAVE EXPERIENCED IT AS WELL. JUST REQUIRED TOPPING OFF COOLANT.

- Gas mileage hasn't been all that great (on the order of 20-23mpg combined), but that's also due to the fact that I may have a lead foot. It's such a fun car to drive!
I AGREE X1 IS FUN TO DRIVE, BUT I GUESS I REALLY DON'T HAVE A LEAD FOOT. I'M IN LOS ANGELES, AND I AVERAGE 27 MPG, CHECKED EVERY FILL UP. DUE TO A COUPLE LONGER ROAD TRIPS, ONBOARD COMPUTER SHOWS LIFETIME MPG CURRENTLY AT 28.3!

- The start/stop system is absolutely awful; the whole car jerks when restarting and it doesn't even work half the time. BMW needs to spend a little money in their R&D department to get that worked out. Had my dealer set the feature to default to off.
I ADMIT IT - I AM FINE WITH A.S.S. I DON'T FIND IT SHUDDERS AT ALL ON RESTART. BUT I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO GENTLY BRAKE TO A STOP SO THAT MOST OF THE TIME, A.S.S. DOES NOT ENGAGE. IT'S ONLY WHEN I ANTICIPATE A LONGER WAIT TO PROCEED THAT I COME TO A FIRM STOP AND LET THE A.S.S. ENGAGE.

- Standard halogen low beams are quite dim - I'm strongly considering (and even have made non-binding arrangements) to do a xenon retrofit, which will cost at least $1700 if not more ($2500 if all parts purchased at a dealer). You're better off just getting the lighting package.
I HAVE XENON AND AM HAPPY WITH THEM.

- The stock sound system sounds terrific up front, but it's a bit anemic in the rear. But I love that I can stream my music (and phone calls of course) via iDrive (provided you have the Navigation). Speaking of iDrive, I really don't think the parking sensors or rear-view camera are at all necessary - I can parallel park my X1 into teeny tiny spaces quite easily. Visibility is decent, and maneuverability is very very good.
HAVE THE HK, LOVE IT.

- The car isn't very wide - great for parking, but not so great with 3 adults in the back seat.
I AGREE - THE X1 WILL JUST FIT IN A 'COMPACT' SPACE. BUT I PREFER TO PARK AWAY FROM OTHER VEHICLES AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WHEN I GOT BACK TO MY X1 THIS MORNING AT THE GYM, I WAS SO ANNOYED THAT A LADY HAD PARKED IMMEDIATELY NEXT TO ME, WITH OPEN SPACES ALL AROUND. AND SHE HAD HER REAR DOOR OPEN, JUST AN INCH OR SO FROM MY X1. I ALMOST SAID SOMETHING BUT CONTENTED MYSELF WITH DIRTY LOOKS, WHICH SHE IGNORED. BELIEVE ME, SHE NEEDED TO GET TO THE GYM. SOME LADIES REALLY SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM THE STRETCH FABRICS.

However, the X1 continues to be a joy to drive every day, and can hold a surprisingly gigantic amount of stuff with the seats folded down. I moved into a whole new apartment with this thing (minus the full-size couch), and performance is really impressive. The ride is firm but not jarring, and the vehicle feels VERY solid, no squeaks, rattles, or hollow thunks to be heard.
I USED TO HAVE A 'CRACKLE' FROM THE DASH. A FEW POSTERS MENTIONED THE SAME. SEEMS TO HAVE DISAPPEARED, HOWEVER. NOW THAT I'VE TYPED THAT, HOWEVER, I EXPECT I'LL START HEARING IT AGAIN ;-)

END OF CAPS - Sorry about that. Anyway, I love my X1.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
kurtthewurt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 sDrive28i, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini
Thought I would share some of my "divergent" opinions on the previous post, for the OP's possible benefit. My responses in CAPS. I also have a 2013 sDrive 28i, coming on one year old this Thanksgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtthewurt View Post

SORRY TO HEAR THAT. MY ONLY PROBLEM WAS A LOW COOLANT ALERT ABOUT A MONTH AGO. THERE'S A THREAD ON THAT, AS A FEW OTHERS HAVE EXPERIENCED IT AS WELL. JUST REQUIRED TOPPING OFF COOLANT.

I AGREE X1 IS FUN TO DRIVE, BUT I GUESS I REALLY DON'T HAVE A LEAD FOOT. I'M IN LOS ANGELES, AND I AVERAGE 27 MPG, CHECKED EVERY FILL UP. DUE TO A COUPLE LONGER ROAD TRIPS, ONBOARD COMPUTER SHOWS LIFETIME MPG CURRENTLY AT 28.3!

I ADMIT IT - I AM FINE WITH A.S.S. I DON'T FIND IT SHUDDERS AT ALL ON RESTART. BUT I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO GENTLY BRAKE TO A STOP SO THAT MOST OF THE TIME, A.S.S. DOES NOT ENGAGE. IT'S ONLY WHEN I ANTICIPATE A LONGER WAIT TO PROCEED THAT I COME TO A FIRM STOP AND LET THE A.S.S. ENGAGE.

I HAVE XENON AND AM HAPPY WITH THEM.

HAVE THE HK, LOVE IT.

I AGREE - THE X1 WILL JUST FIT IN A 'COMPACT' SPACE. BUT I PREFER TO PARK AWAY FROM OTHER VEHICLES AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WHEN I GOT BACK TO MY X1 THIS MORNING AT THE GYM, I WAS SO ANNOYED THAT A LADY HAD PARKED IMMEDIATELY NEXT TO ME, WITH OPEN SPACES ALL AROUND. AND SHE HAD HER REAR DOOR OPEN, JUST AN INCH OR SO FROM MY X1. I ALMOST SAID SOMETHING BUT CONTENTED MYSELF WITH DIRTY LOOKS, WHICH SHE IGNORED. BELIEVE ME, SHE NEEDED TO GET TO THE GYM. SOME LADIES REALLY SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM THE STRETCH FABRICS.

I USED TO HAVE A 'CRACKLE' FROM THE DASH. A FEW POSTERS MENTIONED THE SAME. SEEMS TO HAVE DISAPPEARED, HOWEVER. NOW THAT I'VE TYPED THAT, HOWEVER, I EXPECT I'LL START HEARING IT AGAIN ;-)

END OF CAPS - Sorry about that. Anyway, I love my X1.
I should probably mention that the dealer told me the faulty gas tank valve is a known issue. They said I was not the first to bring one in, and that the problem also appears on the F30. Strange, innit?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Turbo lag. I absolutely hate that. Otherwise it's a great daily driver. Better than I expected.
Mom 28i (N20) has the same issue.. Turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #32
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
Turbo lag. I absolutely hate that. Otherwise it's a great daily driver. Better than I expected.
Mom 28i (N20) has the same issue.. Turbo lag.
I know i sound like a broken record but a sprintbooster will help-- and no i do not work for them. I'm just happy the thing helped ratchet up the x1s spirit-- i was a little bummed by the lack of throttle.

Last edited by popopine; 10-22-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #33
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpistemicConfusion View Post
Its more of an expensive luxury. I replaced the OEM bulbs with Phillips xtreme vision bulbs at a cost of $40. I'll have to replace them more frequently than xenons, but at the end of the day I'm fairly sure I'll come out ahead (particularly if I keep the car past warranty).

But the OEM low beams are really really bad.
I'm sure phillips are better than the factory standard but the Xenon Package comes with adaptive control and lights the corners as you speed down country roads -- and it's worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
greyguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M, 2011 328i Cab,

Hi all,

Thanks for reading my first post…

I took delivery of a 2014 X1 35i MSport about a month ago. I have had various BMW's over the past 30 years. While it is not a regret, my only gripe so far is that interior storage (centre console, glovebox, door) is a little skimpy for my tastes. On the other hand, my X1 comes closer to the handling and feel of the late 1980's 3 series (which got me started with this brand) than anything since.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #35
Mojo_Mike
Rep
Drives: 2014 S Drive 2.8i

In retrospect, I wish I had ordered the car to my exact spec. Really regret not having sport seats, xenons, and paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #36
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_Mike View Post
In retrospect, I wish I had ordered the car to my exact spec. Really regret not having sport seats, xenons, and paddle shifters.
yeah i wonder if i should have gotten paddle shifters...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
mikew007
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-1 xDrive 35i M

I have the paddle shifters but I'm not sure I like them. In general, I like to have them but these are mounted in a way that the paddles are so close to the steering wheel that when I hold the wheel, my fingers get stuck between the wheel and the paddles. Not a big deal, but where I really like to put my hands is right where the paddles effect my grip.

I may be able to bend them away from the wheel slightly so that I don't have this problem. But, for now, I wish I didn't have them. Honestly, if I could snap them in when I feel like using them and then take them out for the other 90 percent of my daily driving they would be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #38
BlackJackel
Private
Rep
Drives: Black X1 35i, Dinan stage 2

Don't miss the paddle shifters, the stick is easy to use.
Do wish I had park sensors, back up camera, and HK sound system.
Also wish BMW would get the dang iPhone 5 adaptor to work properly!

Otherwise love the X1 (especially with the Dinan stage 2)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #39
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I opted for the base instead of M-Sport because I wanted a heated steering wheel. At times I miss the sport seats and potential handling but I still wouldn't give up a heated wheel for it, and I've really enjoyed it the last week.

Backup camera would be helpful at times but that's really all I think I'd like. My phone is still better for music selection than the touch screen/iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #40
brettndeb
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i convertible

have an Sdrive Msport 28i

lighting package
19 wheels
HK audio
premium package
paddle shifters

its a great car....we have an Audi A4, had a 135i Msport convertible, had an Audi TT and the fun factor of the X1 is almost as good as the 135i convertible and MUCH quicker than our A4 or even the TT. no regrets on the car, though wish it had a tad more room. a Q5 is a considerably larger car, and for that matter even the A4 is much roomier in the back. A4 is much quieter as well, but doesn't have a lot of oomph, and doesn't feel quick or fun to drive. but we ordered our X1, and wouldn't change a thing on the options. lights are awesome, HK audio worth the upgrade, and 19 inch wheels ride great and look that much better. smooth AZ roads so ride isn't much of an issue. but I feel like the car is a more practical combo of a 1 and 3 series, and honestly a good bargain compared to a similar spec'd 3 series car would be. only cons? start/stop system is awful. but it's turned off. no biggie. and gas mileage? not as good as our Audi A4, but not enough to get bent outta shape about. say upper 20s most of the time with somewhat aggressive driving.

next up?

drooling over a new 2 series....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
newclass
Rep
Drives: x1 x35i msport, e46 sedan

Mineral gray x35i msport here with ultimate, heated seats, staggered wheels, black interior with fineline wood trim. No regrets but I wish there was some gray in the interior to lighten things up a bit. If it wasn't for the sunroof it would be too dark.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #42
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

I've got an (almost) fully loaded 28i x-drive, which I love. What I'd say is

- I wouldn't want to be without the sports seats, xenons, sunroof and backup camera
- I have mixed feelings on iDrive. My garmin was much better than the Navi, but iDrive is handy for accessing my music, managing my bluetooth connections, etc.
- I like comfort access a lot more than I thought I would

My main annoyance is the sound system. I have the "HiFi" system and really wish I could have gotten the HK (in Canada, you can only get the HK with the 35i). The HiFi system really leaves me unimpressed.

I'm on the fence on whether the 28i was the right choice. Not that I feel I need more power (and I do like the better mileage and 8-speed that come with the 28i), but I would have liked the better brakes and sport-suspension that come with the 35i M.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #43
EpistemicConfusion
Likes Cars
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
I've got an (almost) fully loaded 28i x-drive, which I love. What I'd say is

- I wouldn't want to be without the sports seats, xenons, sunroof and backup camera
- I have mixed feelings on iDrive. My garmin was much better than the Navi, but iDrive is handy for accessing my music, managing my bluetooth connections, etc.
- I like comfort access a lot more than I thought I would

My main annoyance is the sound system. I have the "HiFi" system and really wish I could have gotten the HK (in Canada, you can only get the HK with the 35i). The HiFi system really leaves me unimpressed.

I'm on the fence on whether the 28i was the right choice. Not that I feel I need more power (and I do like the better mileage and 8-speed that come with the 28i), but I would have liked the better brakes and sport-suspension that come with the 35i M.
If you think the speakers are the weak link in the sound system - Focal makes replacement speakers for the X1. I've got Focal for my 5.1 system and they are some seriously impressive speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #44
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterPhil
I am thinking about getting a new X1 any regrets? What are the best options?
The 4 banger has to work and that's the fun part. The only major misunderstanding I ended up with for my wife is the horrible gas mileage.

I thought a four would sip gas and not act like the gas whore she is.

If drive da beoch hard, you will be driving to the gas station.
Appreciate 0