08-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #45
mgbm
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 28i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I hope I do not get in trouble posting links:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-B...354551144.html
I guess I misread your post, I assumed you bought the retrofits from aliexpress but purchased bulbs and such from different vendors (Kensun or Xenon Depot)

So I'm guessing you purchased everything from the aliexpress URL.

I was very skeptical of the product due to China's fault for quality control, guess time will tell. On the bright side, the finish product looks amazing! Please update us if the product keeps up.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #46
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbm View Post
I guess I misread your post, I assumed you bought the retrofits from aliexpress but purchased bulbs and such from different vendors (Kensun or Xenon Depot)

So I'm guessing you purchased everything from the aliexpress URL.

I was very skeptical of the product due to China's fault for quality control, guess time will tell. On the bright side, the finish product looks amazing! Please update us if the product keeps up.
Yea, I should have put this in a different thread. But spoolinX1 dropped a lot of applicable info in this thread that I used to make my decision.
You have to decide what is the level of risk you can tolerate.
I broke it down like this:
1) Mechanical - The projector is actual very good.
2) Bi-Xeon (Ballast and Bulb) - Easy to replace with of the shelf components.
3) LED's and drivers - The drivers are is the biggest risk, custom electronics.
4) Shipping - See supplier for info

So, worst case I gambled away $1000, I will cry a few days then move on.
I can deal with everything else.

I actual run the lights on a bench power supply on and off over a month and made 100% sure everything is working before installing.
I made sure there is no overheating and that current is in the expected range.

My trip to work (40 min) with only the LED's on did not even heat up the LED heatsinks mounted under the housing

Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  354.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #47
mgbm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
This is a before after photo, the place is lit by florescent lamps, taken by my iPhone. Not ideal conditions for a photo about lights though.
But it will give you some idea, on the road the light output is amazing.

Before with upgraded halogen bulbs:
Attachment 1268850

After:
Attachment 1268851
That looks pretty bright, would you say the brightness color of those bulbs come close to white rather than the OEM yellow-ish?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #48
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That looks pretty bright, would you say the brightness color of those bulbs come close to white rather than the OEM yellow-ish?
The Xeon's match the colour of the LED rings.
Not yellow at all, I would guess at least 5000k but most likely more.
The cutoff line projected on street signs if i go over a bump has a blueish line.
If they stop working for some reason I will sell my car, i will not be without HID's ever again😉
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #49
mgbm
Rep

Retrofit

That's great, your retrofit must look amazing!

I hope you're joking about selling the car if it doesn't work. Are you implying that you're expecting the retrofit will break down on you?

I'm really gearing towards to buying the whole retrofit kit like you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #50
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
No, i made sure it is working reliably before i put it in.
I am sure it will be fine. I just wanted to make the point the i would not be able to live without it. I am really very pleased with the results.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #51
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Checking in after almost 6 months. Everything on my set is perfect. The only concern I have is that the "squirrel finder" (Tinted Blue cut-off line at the top of the beam) is quite pronounced. It is a very sharp line. I notice that as my car naturally dips over bumps and potholes, my headlights sort of "Jitter" on street signs down the road because that cut-off is so focused. Kind of cool, but sort of annoying. My wife's Jeep feathers that cut-off quite a bit more. I've heard from a couple different sources that the pronounced cut-off is desirable overseas, and is a sign of a luxury vehicle with a more expensive and focused beam. Not sure if that is true.

My wife has been driving in front of me and she said that the light projected from my headlights is very distracting from a distance because it is nothing but a rainbow of color in her rear view mirror (Prismatic effect from the curved edges of the projector glass) and also the lights seem to "Flicker" as she travels in and out of my headlights line of sight. This again, I think, has to do with the very sharp cut-off line. Either the light is being projected on you, or it's not. There's no in between.

Any comments on these issues from your perspective, Njerts?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #52
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinX1 View Post
Checking in after almost 6 months. Everything on my set is perfect. The only concern I have is that the "squirrel finder" (Tinted Blue cut-off line at the top of the beam) is quite pronounced. It is a very sharp line. I notice that as my car naturally dips over bumps and potholes, my headlights sort of "Jitter" on street signs down the road because that cut-off is so focused. Kind of cool, but sort of annoying. My wife's Jeep feathers that cut-off quite a bit more. I've heard from a couple different sources that the pronounced cut-off is desirable overseas, and is a sign of a luxury vehicle with a more expensive and focused beam. Not sure if that is true.

My wife has been driving in front of me and she said that the light projected from my headlights is very distracting from a distance because it is nothing but a rainbow of color in her rear view mirror (Prismatic effect from the curved edges of the projector glass) and also the lights seem to "Flicker" as she travels in and out of my headlights line of sight. This again, I think, has to do with the very sharp cut-off line. Either the light is being projected on you, or it's not. There's no in between.

Any comments on these issues from your perspective, Njerts?
Mine is actually pretty good as is, I like the purple line at cut-off.
Did you do a proper aim adjust for your lights (25' away from a wall on a level surface with a 2" drop from headlight centre)
I will let my wife drive behind me to see what it looks like when we go out in separate cars again.
As you say, the guys in the HID forums find the rainbow effect desirable in their retrofits.

Also, you can shim the bulbs to make your hotspot softer, but you will lose light. (if it really bothers you)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #53
mgbm
Rep

Dead End

I have a problem guys. First off, please excuse my English.

Here is my experience.

I recently purchased the headlights from the same seller from aliexpress. Just like Njerts, I additionally purchased low beam bulbs and ballast too. So everything came complete regarding with bulbs.

Received the headlight and upon unboxing the item I noticed that on the RIGHT headlight, small portion of the exterior sealant were "misplaced", thus leaving a crack and exposed. Thankfully I further noticed that these headlights are double sealed, that there is an inner layer of sealant as well. Overall, the exterior molding and quality is not impressive, but this is the risk I had to take; considering there is no such thing as "quality control" in China.

Upon installation of the headlight I had trouble adjusting the LEFT headlight low beam leveling. I couldn't raise it up to the standard level, whenever I tried it would turn off. So I had no choice but to level both of my low beam headlight slightly lower than standard adjustment. No problem with high beam leveling adjustment.

Just 1 day after installation. I get a low beam error light up on my dashboard, I check it out and my LEFT headlight low beam is off. Everything else is fine; both high beams and right headlight low beam is fine. I can't make sense of this, and I don't want to deal with the seller since he said I have to pay for shipping cost in order to get it exchanged.

Did you guys expereice any of this? Your headlights working fine?

Since both turn signals, both high beams, and one low beam is working; connection can't be the problem. Is it the ballast and bulbs? I haven't worked on my car yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #54
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

I haven't done any work on the X1 but I've ordered xenon lights and ballasts from China before and a few of them have arrived dead or died shortly after installing and using them (I mean just a couple weeks of use and then dead).

If you can replace the ballast or the bulb you can try that, might end up being cheaper than the shipping cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #55
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a problem guys. First off, please excuse my English.

Here is my experience.

I recently purchased the headlights from the same seller from aliexpress. Just like Njerts, I additionally purchased low beam bulbs and ballast too. So everything came complete regarding with bulbs.

Received the headlight and upon unboxing the item I noticed that on the RIGHT headlight, small portion of the exterior sealant were "misplaced", thus leaving a crack and exposed. Thankfully I further noticed that these headlights are double sealed, that there is an inner layer of sealant as well. Overall, the exterior molding and quality is not impressive, but this is the risk I had to take; considering there is no such thing as "quality control" in China.

Upon installation of the headlight I had trouble adjusting the LEFT headlight low beam leveling. I couldn't raise it up to the standard level, whenever I tried it would turn off. So I had no choice but to level both of my low beam headlight slightly lower than standard adjustment. No problem with high beam leveling adjustment.

Just 1 day after installation. I get a low beam error light up on my dashboard, I check it out and my LEFT headlight low beam is off. Everything else is fine; both high beams and right headlight low beam is fine. I can't make sense of this, and I don't want to deal with the seller since he said I have to pay for shipping cost in order to get it exchanged.

Did you guys expereice any of this? Your headlights working fine?

Since both turn signals, both high beams, and one low beam is working; connection can't be the problem. Is it the ballast and bulbs? I haven't worked on my car yet.
Did you get the exact same as me or like "spoolinX1" in the first post in this threat?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #56
mgbm
Rep

DEAD END

I purchased the other type of X1 headlights from the same seller. It's the semi-circle angel eyes, not the "full" circle angel eyes. This seller sells two kinds of headlights for X1 BTW. Mine came with both low beam and high beam h7 HID bulbs.

What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #57
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I think you should do a couple of tests. Swap bulbs and then ballast to find out what is working and what is not.
Does the bulb flickers and the stays off?
Do you have anti flicker capacitors on the system?
Do you have warning eliminator resistors on?
Also, take a couple of fotos.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #58
mgbm
Rep

DEAD END

I tried putting it to various lighting mode and it will not come on, it is dead.
I will post the pics later.
I believe the factory setup did not come with any anti flicker capacitors nor warning eliminator resistors.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 12:07 AM   #59
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I tried putting it to various lighting mode and it will not come on, it is dead.
I will post the pics later.
I believe the factory setup did not come with any anti flicker capacitors nor warning eliminator resistors.
If the ballast is easily accessed, you can try to put 12Volt directly on it to see if it works. That way you eliminate wiring issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #60
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
You mentioned that your left light turned off if you tried to adjust level, and now it is completely off?
That sound like a lose/bad connection.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #61
mgbm
Rep

DEAD END

Whenever I tried leveling the low beam headlight up, the low beam would turn off past a certain point. So I leveled it where it stays on which is now a bit lower than it should be. 1 day after this process, my low beam will not come on.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #62
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whenever I tried leveling the low beam headlight up, the low beam would turn off past a certain point. So I leveled it where it stays on which is now a bit lower than it should be. 1 day after this process, my low beam will not come on.
I don't see how leveling could turn the light off because it is a mechanical adjustment.
I think the adjustment (movement of the bulb housing) pressed against something electrical that is not properly connected and thus breaking the current.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #63
mgbm
Rep

DEAD END

Thanks for the input, I'll have to check it out during the weekend to see what's the matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #64
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Checking in. I have had zero issues at all since my last post. Figured out how to switch my daytime running lights to only the corona rings using bmwhat app thanks to advice from Njerts. Also programmed the Orange corner lights to be off at all times except when blinker is needed. The aftermarket housings have clear lenses in that orange area, so it looks amazing and incredibly aggressive.

No more abnormal flickering. No dash lights. No condensation or premature wear.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #65
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinX1 View Post
Checking in. I have had zero issues at all since my last post. Figured out how to switch my daytime running lights to only the corona rings using bmwhat app thanks to advice from Njerts. Also programmed the Orange corner lights to be off at all times except when blinker is needed. The aftermarket housings have clear lenses in that orange area, so it looks amazing and incredibly aggressive.

No more abnormal flickering. No dash lights. No condensation or premature wear.
Good to hear everything is working great.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #66
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the input, I'll have to check it out during the weekend to see what's the matter.
Did you figure out what the problem is?
Appreciate 0