Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I dig my X1

I know I haven't been too complimentary about the engine, but after a 350km trip the car came into its own, the handling was great, the cruise control came into its own - making the most of the performance, the panorama roof was a boon and the practicality wasn't too bad either. The consumption didn't get below 10.1km/100km, but then at times it was carrying 4 adults and hitting 160km/h sometimes. And at the Kruger National Park on some really nasty and bumpy gravel roads the runflats did not let me down, and the car returned home with no rattles.

Maybe this car will be a keeper Oh and the Autobox seems to be behaving a bit better as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

That's great to hear manicm; the X1 comes into its own as a touring car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

Hi Manicm,

Thanks for the tips on fuel economy/changing gears manually in the other thread. My average speed has increased to 26km/hr (tragic isnt it!), and the fuel economy is now just under 11lt/100km after shifting manually and getting out of the urban crawl (but still driving at mainly 50 - 70km/hr).

Its good to hear you're starting to like the engine. For the kind of driving i cna do in HK, its powerful enough, and definitley a great drive (with a few exceptions).

Not sure if other X1 owners are annoyed by this, but i particularly dont like how you need to have your foot on the brake if you want to shift back from Neutral to Drive. Also, the Nevada leather seats dont breathe particularly well.. a bit frustrating in the summer heat over here. Other than that, i dont have any complaints. THe drive flats are also fine, i keep them at 30 psi, and they are quite comfortable contrary to some opinions i have read. How do you find the run flats?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Rob

I suspect the ride would be better on normal tyres (it is a bit fidgety), but otherwise the runflats are fine. And they seem durable too after nearly 7000km.

I think the need to keep the brake depressed is a safety measure.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

I've been caught a few times at traffic lights where I have a habit of selecting neutral and putting the handbrake on. I've had to get used to the foot on the brake thing, which as manicm said, is a safety feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Actually, if I'm at a longer than usual standstill, I go to Park. But this also requires depressing the brake before going back to Drive.

But at normal standstills I leave it in Drive with foot on brake - I'm thinking Rob you should do the same if you've stopped for < 1 minute.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Actually, if I'm at a longer than usual standstill, I go to Park. But this also requires depressing the brake before going back to Drive.

But at normal standstills I leave it in Drive with foot on brake - I'm thinking Rob you should do the same if you've stopped for < 1 minute.
Yep its a safety thing, stops the car from moving forward without input from the driver. Quite common, was on all the autos from Audi, Merc etc I test drove. Similar thing on my manual Mini in that I cannot start the car without depressing the clutch first.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
rob_378
HongKongX1
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i SPORT

Its a habit for me also. When im on a completely flat road, and ive stopped close to the car infront of me, or if im the front car at a pedestrian crossing i put the car into neutral. Perhaps putting it into the Park is a better option after all.

Selecting neutral while rolling down a hill and then shifting back to Drive on the rise is another habit .. but i might not try this one!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Rob, I don't recommend you shift from Neutral to Drive while the car is moving - you might damage the transmission.

At a short stop, I'd say leave in Drive with footbrake.
Appreciate 0