Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

10-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Nedlands
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 CF Comp, 2010 23 X1

window blinds

Has anyone bought the window blinds/shades fort he X1? Any feedback, price paid, country?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
nagelixin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedlands View Post
Has anyone bought the window blinds/shades fort he X1? Any feedback, price paid, country?
I live/drive in Australia, but I ordered my blinds from a dealer in the UK. The price point is around 60% cheaper to buy them in England, than here in Australia.

They should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelixin View Post
I live/drive in Australia, but I ordered my blinds from a dealer in the UK. The price point is around 60% cheaper to buy them in England, than here in Australia.

They should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Wow, 60% cheaper in the UK What does it then cost in Oz? I could have done with some but did not get them as they cost £230 here which I think is realy, realy, realy expensive.

Are they fitted or do the blinds just clip into the frames?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: iX3

Do you mean the black mesh shades for the back that block out the UV for kids?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
nagelixin
Enlisted Member
Rep

^ Yes the mesh kiddies/back shades.
One dealer wanted to charge me A$885 (with install), whereas my dealer wanted A$550 or $450 when buying the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

I bought the WindowSOX from Sunprotec.com.au for $40 plus $6 shipping. They have only just been released for the X1.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindam View Post
I bought the WindowSOX from Sunprotec.com.au for $40 plus $6 shipping. They have only just been released for the X1.
Great tip that, thanks lindam. I have checked and WindowSOX are available in the UK, they just don't have the X1's yet. I will wait, will save me £££££'s

I still want to know how BMW can charge £230 (or A$885 ). What makes them so expensive? As I understand it they are not the same as the ones for the 3-series etc that are actually fitted into the window frame. My dealer says these are just those springy types that just sit against the window. Comes with a bag though

Anyone have them?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
helsam67
Rep
Drives: X1 and 530d Touring Msport

Hi Mario486

Picked up my wife's new X1 on Saturday and love it! It's a quite different from our 5 Series Touring but still a real nice piece of kit. We bought the blinds as we have a 6 month old and find them very good. There not as easy as the 5's as they need little blocks sticking around the side windows but the little glass panel and rear screen both slip into the gap between the plastic surround and glass. We considered other options but they didn't compare to the fitted BMW ones. I know they cost more but buying a car for £32000 and opting for a cheaper alternative seemed a false economy to us. They look very nice and displays a BMW logo to the outside which adds prestige which, in the end is why we by BMW.

Just my thoughts

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helsam67 View Post
Hi Mario486

Picked up my wife's new X1 on Saturday and love it! It's a quite different from our 5 Series Touring but still a real nice piece of kit. We bought the blinds as we have a 6 month old and find them very good. There not as easy as the 5's as they need little blocks sticking around the side windows but the little glass panel and rear screen both slip into the gap between the plastic surround and glass. We considered other options but they didn't compare to the fitted BMW ones. I know they cost more but buying a car for £32000 and opting for a cheaper alternative seemed a false economy to us. They look very nice and displays a BMW logo to the outside which adds prestige which, in the end is why we by BMW.

Just my thoughts

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. I also have a young boy and window blinds are essential. Well maybe less so in winter up here I have to get a set come summer though and the BMW ones are always an option. Its just that I have spent quite a bit on accessories already and still want to get a set of winter tyres as well.

Which X1 did you get?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #10
helsam67
Rep

Hi again

We were originally going for a basic second car and thought of the 1 series but when we saw the X1 we were smitten. We also decided to load it up with toys so that it matched the 5. Things like memory seats, Pro Satnav, tilting mirrors etc. We also had economy to think off so opted for the 2.0SE S drive with auto box in Arctic White.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi again

We were originally going for a basic second car and thought of the 1 series but when we saw the X1 we were smitten. We also decided to load it up with toys so that it matched the 5. Things like memory seats, Pro Satnav, tilting mirrors etc. We also had economy to think off so opted for the 2.0SE S drive with auto box in Arctic White.

Steve
Likewise, bit sceptical at first, particulary about the fact that it only comes in a diesel but took it for a test drive and was blown away . I have had some nice cars in the past but this one is realy, realy good. Bit of a bargain I think. Like for like its about £3k cheaper than the 3-series estate in the UK and in all honesty I think its better. Just my opinion.

Anyway, congratulations again and please post some pice when you have the time.

PS: Also put a fair bit of toys on mine but went the whole hog on the seats, absolutely brilliant Highly recommend this to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedlands View Post
I got them at a discount price, but here in Portugal the listed price is around 500€ or so - stupidly expensive.

They do look great and "fit" however... My only grip is one of those tiny support blocks in one of the rear doors is constantly getting lose (the adhesive didn't stick.)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
nagelixin
Enlisted Member
Rep

^^ Can you please take some pics for us. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #14
andret
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelixin View Post
^^ Can you please take some pics for us. Thanks
+1

Just had baby girl. Want to get these shades.

2011 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
helsam67
Rep

Hi There

I'll do them at the weekend if that's ok?

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #16
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
I got them at a discount price, but here in Portugal the listed price is around 500€ or so - stupidly expensive.

They do look great and "fit" however... My only grip is one of those tiny support blocks in one of the rear doors is constantly getting lose (the adhesive didn't stick.)
That is exactly my gripe with them. Other than that they are great for privacy. Haven't experienced them in summer for any cooling effect yet, I'll know in a couple more months.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #17
nagelixin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine have arrived from the UK.

The rear and small windows are a breeze to install as they have clips which slide in between the glass and plastic. The rear passenger is a little more complicated as you need to install brackets. I have only put in 3 brackets as I don't want to have too many things stuck inside the car.

I wanted the shades to compliment the window tinting to ensure privacy and heat reduction.

I'll try and post some picks in a couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #18
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I had a confirmation email yesterday from the WindowSOX distributer in the UK. The blinds for the X1 will be available in about two weeks time. Cost...£27+postage. As much as I would like the BMW OEM ones I have to face the fact that in Scotland the sun is rarely a problem so for very occasional use the WindowSOX are what I am going for. The price difference is just too big.

Oh, one thing I really like about them is that you can open the windows with them fitted.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #19
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

You can open the windows with the WindowSOX fitted?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You can open the windows with the WindowSOX fitted?
Well it says so on the local website? Have a look here http://www.windowsox.co.uk/ Not sure whats going to happen if you are doing 80mph with both windows open though

Also says it acts as a bug screen to keep the insects out Wonder what the Highland Midge (meanest beastie on the planet) will think of that!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
helsam67
Rep

Pictures of screens

As promised here are some pictures of the blinds. I haven't fitted the rear screen as it obscures the view to much.

Steve
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #22
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
As promised here are some pictures of the blinds. I haven't fitted the rear screen as it obscures the view to much.

Steve
Thats great thanks Steve.

Thats whats great about these forums, its the real world and not the manufacturers blurb,
Appreciate 0