XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
lakesman
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d

Standard Audio System

Have xDrive23d; great car but badly let down by standard audio system.
Before deciding on upgrade options I would like to know exactly what I currently have.

The standard radio (UK) is the "Professional" which I believe outputs 4 x 25 watts. However I have the "Business Advanced" Nav System (606), thus whilst I do not have a "Professional Radio" facia, can I assume that I still have the same "professional radio" backend, ie 4 x 25 watt channels?

Secondly, the standard 6 speaker set up is 2 x tweeter/mid in the front doors; 2 x mids in the rear, and 2 x subs under each front seat. Am I correct in assuming that 2 of the available 4 channels are each driving not only a door mounted tweeter/mid but also a floor mounted sub, thereby leaving the remaining 2 channels to each drive the small, ineffective, rear speaker?

Perhaps one 25w channel trying to drive tweeter/mid/sub explains why the resultant sound is so lacking in depth.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Hey there,

I got myself the Nav Prof. option and no Audio upgrade. IMO the sound is OKish, whe listening to pop or electronic music at normal volume. Opera's classic music and live concertes might be lacking quality. Also if you wannt really good sound hat high volumes the factory radio is not way to go But hey it's just 4x 25W

You're assumption are right: The Nav-Systems do have the Radio Prof. Backend. This includes two Subwoofers under the front seats, two speakers in the front doors and two speakers in the rear (next to the trunk "cover").

The optional HiFi System would be equipped with two additional front-speakers in the doors, but on the heigth of the side-mirrors. You can see the casing for them. The HiFi System also has a 130W (?) analogue amp.

The H/K adds two more speakers in the rear and one center in the middle of the dashboard. Also all the speakers are of superior quality compared to the other options. The H/K is also equipped with a digital amp with EQ.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
pwceg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I have the business system upgrade and DAB radio really like it goes well .
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
DeckerJnr
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

I upgraded from the standard to the 'Business Speaker' system (8 speakers and an amp) - was worried that this would be too weak, as everyone was raving over the Harman Pro System.

BUT - the Business system is fine, clear and loud when needed. I didn't go for DAB and regret that now - anyone know if that can be added as an after sales upgrade?

DJ
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
lakesman
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d

hI

Does anyone have any experience of the BMW Alpine upgrade? This upgrade simply involves swapping out the standard door mids and tweeters, and driving them and the existing underseat subs from a new 2ch Alpine amp installed in the trunk, the amp being input by the HU front speaker outputs. It is relatively cheap, (£300+), and in my case, my dealer was only asking for around £150 to install it which, at that price, I would prefer to removing door cards myself etc. However, whilst a very popular upgrade for the 1 series, and also for the 3 series, I have read that the acoustics of the X1 cabin are such that it tends to absorb bass. Also the Alpine sound is sometimes said to be quite bright, a situation which could be made worse if the bass gets somewhat lost. Hence I was wondering if it would be preferable to go for a 3rd party 4ch amp and thus drive the door speakers and the subs separately. The beauty of the Alpine upgrade is that it is BMW approved and thus it is not only covered by their warranty, but it would not affect the original car warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I have just bought a 18d SE and have done loads of audio upgrades on the current gen BMWs, did our 535d, the 335i, the 320d, 120d and 123d.

I did an install guide for the 3 series which will show you what comes apart, all these cars are the same really.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136594

I think I will add a Vibe Litebox Stereo 4 to mine, these are great little Class GH amps, smoother than the Class D amps and they don't mess with FM reception like Class D does.
If it is still lacking bass I will put some Earthquake subs in the stock locations, theses are awesome subs that go down to a proper 28hz.

Oh, will also add the Logic7 tweeters, but will keep the stock mids, once driven properly these are fine, actually prefer them to the L7 mids, which are a bit bright and what you get in the alpine upgrade.
Appreciate 0