Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

Reducing fuel consumption in traffic jams, start/stop driving

Howdy,

I noticed that when driving in traffic jams or start-up/break-in short-distance driving the 6-speed gearbox does not automatically shift to higher gears and tends to use low gears. This leads to a very high fuel consumption (near 20 l per 100 km on 2 liter gasoline 18i).

Any suggestions? My guess is that switching to manual shifting would help here because you could forcibly lift the gear but who knows. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Hi Hadron, I have the same 18i too, and indeed I use the manual mode - it definitely helps.

Also, do you have cruise control? I find it useful on motorways to maintain speed and control consumption.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
silber1
Rep
Drives: x1

I do have the same problem with my 25i. The automatic gear tends to stick in the lower gears, with the effect of higer consumption.
If you accelerate, give a short push with the right foot and then go back. This will reduce revolution. By this technique I could reduce consumption by over 10 %.
The car's memory stores the driver's behavior. You can set this memory to default value and afterwards again give it a new profile of your driving. This can be done by the BMW service. I think this helps too.
To see what other X1 consume, go to www.spritmonitor.de.
Gerhard
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

I have now read the posts in this thread a few times and I can in all honesty say I that I don't think I am experiencing this problem. Only real difference is that I have the diesel engine. A few comment from the way I experience it:

1. Driving on a trailing throttle (accelerating hard and then lifting off) does keep it in gear longer but I think this is by design.
2. Driving the auto in manual mode increases consumption in my case. It's quite fun though.
3. Driving with a light and gradual throttle causes a downshift sooner.
4. My car clearly uses engine braking as well, which may sound as if the engine is working hard, but as you all know actually uses little fuel.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mario, it is precisely because you have the diesel engine, of similar capacity and configuration i.e. 2.0l 4-cyl, that you don't experience this problem. Also note this petrol engine, unlike the X1 diesels, or its VW/Merc/Audi petrol rivals is not turbo-charged or super-charged, or even have direct injection. So it's outdated and left to its own devices. And diesel engines, by design, deliver higher torque or acceleration at low revs, and lower fuel consumption than petrol ones.

I think all of us 18i petrol owners will now admit that this petrol engine is a bit underpowered for the heavy X1. Our sDrive18i weighs around 100kg more than the equivalent 320i (and for some reason BMW chose to give the sDrive18i 5kW less). So greater weight + lower power = greater consumption. And I wouldn't bait anyone at a red light either, not even a small Korean hatch, if I have to be honest.

It's a fact of life which I'm getting used to, as I still do enjoy driving and living with my X1 and will be with me for a long time yet.

BMW could however have helped with the Auto gear changes - they hold on to the lower gears for too long on the slightest incline. Which is why I strongly advocate Cyee and Hadron use Manual mode. It takes a bit of getting used to and rather defeats the purpose of an auto, but it improves the consumption and is still nice/relaxing to use. Keep in mind though, that it only auto downshifts at below 1000rpm. Not a problem just an observation.

Last edited by manicm; 06-22-2011 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
Hi Hadron, I have the same 18i too, and indeed I use the manual mode - it definitely helps.

Also, do you have cruise control? I find it useful on motorways to maintain speed and control consumption.
Thanks! I'll try it. I've tried only once, in march, when I was trying to get out of the snow pot when I stuck. No luck.

Nope, I don't have cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silber1 View Post
If you accelerate, give a short push with the right foot and then go back. This will reduce revolution. By this technique I could reduce consumption by over 10 %.
Thanks, Gerhard.
Yeah, I use the same technique, but I noticed that this push and stop trick leads the car to, how to say it, sway.

I also noticed that 2-liter 18i consumes more than 3-liter 25i

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/397031.html
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/457462.html

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/412665.html
http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/437022.html
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic Hadron View Post
Thanks! I'll try it. I've tried only once, in march, when I was trying to get out of the snow pot when I stuck. No luck.

If you get stuck in a rut, remember you can choose 1st gear through Manual! Auto and Sport take off from 2nd.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #9
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
If you get stuck in a rut, remember you can choose 1st gear through Manual! Auto and Sport take off from 2nd.
Thanks, Mancim!

That's exactly for what I used manual this winter in Russia. It did not help. "Thanks" to the missing differential locking. I wonder why did BMW not implement locking? VAG did it in their Tiguan!

Quote:
BMW could however have helped with the Auto gear changes - they hold on to the lower gears for too long on the slightest incline. Which is why I strongly advocate Cyee and Hadron use Manual mode. It takes a bit of getting used to and rather defeats the purpose of an auto, but it improves the consumption and is still nice/relaxing to use. Keep in mind though, that it only auto downshifts at below 1000rpm. Not a problem just an observation.
Yeah, I thought about using manual mode but was just too lazy to start using it because it still makes you be more accurate at driving, makes you to be alert not only to what's going on around but also to what's show on the tachometer because you would now have to shift up and down manually. Still you don't have to use the clutch pedal...

Last edited by Exotic Hadron; 06-22-2011 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Confirmed, but does not work in traffic jams. You have to have more distant spacing to the leading car to implement this technique.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Exotic Hadron, the Manual will downshift automatically as soon as the revs fall below 1000rpm - which will easily happen sometimes. Give it a try for a day?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Mancim is absolutely correct. The 18i with the small 2.0L 4-cyl (without turbo) is really underpowered for a heavy car. The engine has to rev higher to have enough torque to get the car moving (especially from stand-still). This is simple physics (power to weight ratio) and there is not much we can do.

The diesel and turbo versions should get better fuel consumption because these engines generate much more torque at lower RPMS.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #13
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep

Tried manual mode yesterday. Not bad, but it would be great to see instant consumption. Sad that they have not implemented hints for shifting just as they did it for cars with manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Exotic Hadron, it's only the manual diesels that have the shift hints indicator
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
rafaelfontoura
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 s drive 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
Mancim is absolutely correct. The 18i with the small 2.0L 4-cyl (without turbo) is really underpowered for a heavy car. The engine has to rev higher to have enough torque to get the car moving (especially from stand-still). This is simple physics (power to weight ratio) and there is not much we can do.

The diesel and turbo versions should get better fuel consumption because these engines generate much more torque at lower RPMS.
I suffered with the underpower of my X1 sdrive 18i too. The petrol fuel consuptiom in the city was 8 km/l (But someone in the dealer told me that i could increase to 180 cv from original 150 cv with remaping. Then i sad do it!
After this:
7 month later the fuel consumption in the cityhas been 7.3 km/l and on the road 10 km/l. In Brazil the petrol has been blended with etanol and sometimes solvents, then with pure petrol the consumption would be much better ( i drove in Argentina with pure petrol and on the road the avg was 13 km/l)
my x1 its much better with more power and less tired. I drove until now 16000 kilometer or 10000miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
rafaelfontoura
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 s drive 18

[QUOTE=manicm;9869451]Mario, it is precisely because you have the diesel engine, of similar capacity and configuration i.e. 2.0l 4-cyl, that you don't experience this problem. Also note this petrol engine, unlike the X1 diesels, or its VW/Merc/Audi petrol rivals is not turbo-charged or super-charged, or even have direct injection. So it's outdated and left to its own devices. And diesel engines, by design, deliver higher torque or acceleration at low revs, and lower fuel consumption than petrol ones.

I think all of us 18i petrol owners will now admit that this petrol engine is a bit underpowered for the heavy X1. Our sDrive18i weighs around 100kg more than the equivalent 320i (and for some reason BMW chose to give the sDrive18i 5kW less). So greater weight lower power = greater consumption. And I wouldn't bait anyone at a red light either, not even a small Korean hatch, if I have to be honest.

It's a fact of life which I'm getting used to, as I still do enjoy driving and living with my X1 and will be with me for a long time yet.

BMW could however have helped with the Auto gear changes - they hold on to the lower gears for too long on the slightest incline. Which is why I strongly advocate Cyee and Hadron use Manual mode. It takes a bit of getting used to and rather defeats the purpose of an auto, but it improves the consumption and is still nice/relaxing to use. Keep in mind though, that it only auto downshifts at below 1000rpm. Not a problem just an observation.[/QUOTEl
Reducing fuel consumption in traffic jams, start/stop driving
Exotic Hadron
06/20/11 01:56 PMâ€
Howdy,

I noticed that when driving in traffic jams or start-up/break-in short-distance driving the 6-speed gearbox does not automatically shift to higher gears and tends to use low gears. This leads to a very high fuel consumption (near 20 l per 100 km on 2 liter gasoline 18i).

Any suggestions? My guess is that switching to manual shifting would help here because you could forcibly lift the gear but who knows. Any suggestions?
manicm
06/21/11 04:31 PMâ€

silber1
06/21/11 07:14 PMâ€
I do have the same problem with my 25i. The automatic gear tends to stick in the lower gears, with the effect of higer consumption.

The car's memory stores the driver's behavior. You can set this memory to default value and afterwards again give it a new profile of your driving. This can be done by the BMW service. I think this helps too.

To see what other X1 consume, go to www.spritmonitor.de.

Gerhard
mario486
06/21/11 07:36 PMâ€
I have now read the posts in this thread a few times and I can in all honesty say I that I don't think I am experiencing this problem. Only real difference is that I have the diesel engine. A few comment from the way I experience it:

1. Driving on a trailing throttle (accelerating hard and then lifting off) does keep it in gear longer but I think this is by design.

2. Driving the auto in manual mode increases consumption in my case. It's quite fun though.

4. My car clearly uses engine braking as well, which may sound as if the engine is working hard, but as you all know actually uses little fuel.
manicm
06/22/11 08:42 AMâ€
Mario, it is precisely because you have the diesel engine, of similar capacity and configuration i.e. 2.0l 4-cyl, that you don't experience this problem. Also note this petrol engine, unlike the X1 diesels, or its VW/Merc/Audi petrol rivals is not turbo-charged or super-charged, or even have direct injection. So it's outdated and left to its own devices. And diesel engines, by design, deliver higher torque or acceleration at low revs, and lower fuel consumption than petrol ones.

I think all of us 18i petrol owners will now admit that this petrol engine is a bit underpowered for the heavy X1. Our sDrive18i weighs around 100kg more than the equivalent 320i (and for some reason BMW chose to give the sDrive18i 5kW less). So greater weight lower power = greater consumption. And I wouldn't bait anyone at a red light either, not even a small Korean hatch, if I have to be honest.

Exotic Hadron
06/22/11 08:56 AMâ€

Exotic Hadron
06/22/11 09:01 AMâ€

Thanks, Gerhard.

Yeah, I use the same technique, but I noticed that this push and stop trick leads the car to, how to say it, sway.

I also noticed that 2-liter 18i consumes more than 3-liter 25i

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/397031.html

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/457462.html

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/412665.html

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/437022.html
manicm
06/22/11 09:03 AMâ€

Exotic Hadron
06/22/11 09:06 AMâ€

Thanks, Mancim!

That's exactly for what I used manual this winter in Russia. It did not help. "Thanks" to the missing differential locking. I wonder why did BMW not implement locking? VAG did it in their Tiguan!

Yeah, I thought about using manual mode but was just too lazy to start using it because it still makes you be more accurate at driving, makes you to be alert not only to what's going on around but also to what's show on the tachometer because you would now have to shift up and down manually. Still you don't have to use the clutch pedal...
Exotic Hadron
06/22/11 09:14 AMâ€

Confirmed, but does not work in traffic jams. You have to have more distant spacing to the leading car to implement this technique.
manicm
06/22/11 09:50 AMâ€
Exotic Hadron, the Manual will downshift automatically as soon as the revs fall below 1000rpm - which will easily happen sometimes. Give it a try for a day?
Douggie
06/22/11 11:22 AMâ€

Exotic Hadron
06/23/11 04:51 AMâ€
Tried manual mode yesterday. Not bad, but it would be great to see instant consumption. Sad that they have not implemented hints for shifting just as they did it for cars with manual transmission.
manicm
06/23/11 04:05 PMâ€
Exotic Hadron, it's only the manual diesels that have the shift hints indicator
rafaelfontoura
06/23/11 11:42 PMâ€

I suffered with the underpower of my X1 sdrive 18i too. The petrol fuel consuptiom in the city was 8 km/l (But someone in the dealer told me that i could increase to 180 cv from original 150 cv with remaping. Then i sad do it!

After this:

7 month later the fuel consumption in the cityhas been 7.3 km/l and on the road 10 km/l. In Brazil the petrol has been blended with etanol and sometimes solvents, then with pure petrol the consumption would be much better ( i drove in Argentina with pure petrol and on the road the avg was 13 km/l)

my x1 its much better with more power and less tired. I drove until now 16000 kilometer or 10000miles.
By the way i have enjoyed drive mine x1.
Appreciate 0