XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Problems

So, after 7 months of enjoyable motoring, a few problems are now cropping up.

There's a number of annoying rattles I can't diagnose
The rear passenger window started rattling, and only stopped if I put it down very slightly. That's now stopped.
The electric folding mirrors stopped working. I booked the car in, and they started again the day after (before I took it in).
The front parking sensors have stopped working. Only work once I engage reverse!

This is all in the past 3 weeks. Parking sensors the latest to go, last week.

Anyone else had any similar faults? I'm going to have to get it into a dealers for a look over, but am becoming increasingly frustrated at BMW's.

Still love the motor, but I'm a funny bugger - once things start going wrong, I very quickly lose interest in a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by senwar View Post
So, after 7 months of enjoyable motoring, a few problems are now cropping up.

There's a number of annoying rattles I can't diagnose
The rear passenger window started rattling, and only stopped if I put it down very slightly. That's now stopped.
The electric folding mirrors stopped working. I booked the car in, and they started again the day after (before I took it in).
The front parking sensors have stopped working. Only work once I engage reverse!

This is all in the past 3 weeks. Parking sensors the latest to go, last week.

Anyone else had any similar faults? I'm going to have to get it into a dealers for a look over, but am becoming increasingly frustrated at BMW's.

Still love the motor, but I'm a funny bugger - once things start going wrong, I very quickly lose interest in a car.
Rattling front door trims, only when the weather is cold and when the car is idle. Disappears after a minute or so. Also crunchy noises come from driver side B pillar, glovebox when the road is bumpy.

I had the rear passenger door's window lever changed.

I had the A/C head unit changed, it was probably my fault I cleaned it with a wet towel, black paint wear out on the edges.

Xenon headlights are going to change because of the dust and dirt on the white strips(things like eyebrows)

And I'm having issues with steering system at the moment, steering wheel shakes badly but from time to time:S

No serious problems except the steering issue, I'll use the car with another set of wheels for a week. I hope that shaking is because of the rims or tires.

No need to lose interest on your car senwar, those are not important problems.(in my opinion)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdal View Post
Rattling front door trims, only when the weather is cold and when the car is idle. Disappears after a minute or so. Also crunchy noises come from driver side B pillar, glovebox when the road is bumpy.

I had the rear passenger door's window lever changed.

I had the A/C head unit changed, it was probably my fault I cleaned it with a wet towel, black paint wear out on the edges.

Xenon headlights are going to change because of the dust and dirt on the white strips(things like eyebrows)

And I'm having issues with steering system at the moment, steering wheel shakes badly but from time to time:S

No serious problems except the steering issue, I'll use the car with another set of wheels for a week. I hope that shaking is because of the rims or tires.

No need to lose interest on your car senwar, those are not important problems.(in my opinion)
Thanks for the reply - sorry to hear of your probs too.

Whilst I agree with the bit in bold, its just the way I am. As soon as one thing happens I sort of wait for the next and the next. Whilst I love the car, this is the 5th BMW I've had in a row, and I've had issues with most of them. For example, I paid £42k for a new Z4MC in 2007, two months in the interior A pillar column just fell off. A month later, the interior mirror fell off.

It really frustrates me. Funnily enough, small problems probably annoy me more than bigger ones - which I know sounds daft!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

senwar - I have PDC on my X1 too - the fronts don't engage in Drive, only when selecting Reverse and then Drive - this is normal. If I'm parking forward I engage it manually via button.

I only have my car for about 4 weeks now, so no problems to mention apart from very *minor* rattles in the rear - but they're not really noticeable once on the move.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
senwar - I have PDC on my X1 too - the fronts don't engage in Drive, only when selecting Reverse and then Drive - this is normal. If I'm parking forward I engage it manually via button.

I only have my car for about 4 weeks now, so no problems to mention apart from very *minor* rattles in the rear - but they're not really noticeable once on the move.
Up to last week, the fronts engaged automatically. I'm having to use the button at the moment or engage reverse. I'll check with the dealer anyway - cheers for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Up to last week, the fronts engaged automatically. I'm having to use the button at the moment or engage reverse. I'll check with the dealer anyway - cheers for the reply.
Hi Senwar, I concur with manicm. The front PDC does not come on automatically unless you engage reverse first. If you do engage reverse the front PDC will stay on until you reach 20mph going forward. Just for interest if the front PDC has engaged it should stay on even if you switch the car off completely and then back on again. Of course you can also switch it on manually with the button.

Sorry to hear about your other problems. Seven months for me now as well and, touch wood, no problems whatsoever.

Methinks your car needs to go back to the dealer with one word "sortit"

PS: I did have some squeaks but this was the leather. Bit of zymol leather cream cured it.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi Senwar, I concur with manicm. The front PDC does not come on automatically unless you engage reverse first. If you do engage reverse the front PDC will stay on until you reach 20mph going forward. Just for interest if the front PDC has engaged it should stay on even if you switch the car off completely and then back on again. Of course you can also switch it on manually with the button.
Then I'm even more at a loss - as i say they have come on automatically every time I've used the car prior to last week. Every day (I drive 'into' my garage). Although are you saying if switched on it will work next time as you've put it on, or it will just come on until you move away from an object and need engaging again?

The main frustration I have with going to a dealer is the place I bought it from is inconvenient to go to. The closest dealer is only 4 miles away but I really don't rate them. But this occasion I'll probably have to go there.

If they work as you both say then that sort of defeats the object. I also had front PDC on my 120 and they also worked without any intervention.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #8
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Then I'm even more at a loss - as i say they have come on automatically every time I've used the car prior to last week. Every day (I drive 'into' my garage). Although are you saying if switched on it will work next time as you've put it on, or it will just come on until you move away from an object and need engaging again?

The main frustration I have with going to a dealer is the place I bought it from is inconvenient to go to. The closest dealer is only 4 miles away but I really don't rate them. But this occasion I'll probably have to go there.

If they work as you both say then that sort of defeats the object. I also had front PDC on my 120 and they also worked without any intervention.
Yep, if my front PDC is turned on, either by selecting reverse first or the button, it will stay on even if the car is switched off. However, if its disengaged (by driving at speeds above 20mph) it will not come on by itself automatically if I am just in D (auto). As an example, say I am driving into my driveway going forward I need to turn it on manually. I then park the car moving forward until it beeps telling me I am close to my garage door. When I select P it keeps quiet. I then switch the car off. Next when I switch the car on its quiet while in P but if I then select D or R it starts beeping.

On a different note, tell the dealer to sort the car but if you are not happy with the service contact BMW UK directly. I have done so twice with my Mini in the past and they have sorted it very quickly. Once by laying into the dealer and the second time by referring me to a different service centre. They have some clout with the dealers.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
senwar
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep, if my front PDC is turned on, either by selecting reverse first or the button, it will stay on even if the car is switched off. However, if its disengaged (by driving at speeds above 20mph) it will not come on by itself automatically if I am just in D (auto). As an example, say I am driving into my driveway going forward I need to turn it on manually. I then park the car moving forward until it beeps telling me I am close to my garage door. When I select P it keeps quiet. I then switch the car off. Next when I switch the car on its quiet while in P but if I then select D or R it starts beeping.
Mmm - mine's definitely worked differently then up to last week - I've never had to engage it before (just wondered if I had inadvertently but it then stayed on, but if it disengages after 20 mph, then definitely not)

Quote:
On a different note, tell the dealer to sort the car but if you are not happy with the service contact BMW UK directly. I have done so twice with my Mini in the past and they have sorted it very quickly. Once by laying into the dealer and the second time by referring me to a different service centre. They have some clout with the dealers.
Will do - cheers.
Appreciate 0