Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Who's ventured offroad?

Hey all

Just wondering who's taken their X1 offroad? Obviously applies more to the x-drive variant than the s-drive, though i'm interested to hear how the 2wd version does if taken offroad too.

What sort of offroading have you done? Describe the conditions and how the x1 did.

I've personally done a little bit of sand/beach work. I was pretty apprehensive about the 4wd capabilities so kept my speed up a bit but found my little x1 to be reasonably competent. I don't think it's going to climb any serious sand dunes but i'd be quite confident in driving it down to the beach again. We don't have snow here so I'm interested in how the Europeans have found it.

Cheers
      04-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
dmunozj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
ummmm hard to answer. I took mine (xdrive 25I) to mud on a rainy day. First I tried normal automatic, but I realized it was taking revs up too much and decided to go to Steptronic. Worked out pretty well, DSC activated for a while. Try not to push the gas pedal too much. The problem with these 3.0 l. engines is that they tend to rev too much as wheels turn out of the mud. Bottom line: good for non-pavement and dusty road, but definily not for Paris - Dakar....
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Thanks for your response. You raise an interesting point I didn't consider, petrol vs diesel. Mine is obviously the diesel model and I didn't have your problem cause the torque is made so low down in the rev range, i barely had to touch the accelerator to get the car moving through the soft sand.
      04-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Mine is also the Diesel (no petrol models in the UK) and as Dave says plenty of low down grunt to get out of deep slippery stuff.

I have done some light offloading in mine, partly out of necessity, partly experimental.

Rough farm tracks - no problems except the ground clearance. The front approach angle is better than any sedan but you still have to take some things at an angle to prevent the front spoiler from being torn off.

Deep mud - Easily drags through them, even up to axle depth, However BIG difference depending what tyres you are on. I would not trust anything deeper than a foot or so on my summer tyres. Winter tyres no problem.

Snow - pretty much the same as mud. On my winters the only thing that would stop me is if I start ploughing. Summers, forget anything deep and icy.

So in a nutshell I think the off-road ability is somewhat restricted by it's tyres, but on the right type it's pretty good in my opinion.

I have some pics of the mud exercise posted on here somewhere.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0