Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Any 6+footers with Kids?

Hi all:
Is there anyone here who is a 6+ footer with 2 kids in car seats?
We Canucks do not have access to the X1 yet, but based on everything I've read, it looks like it'll be my next AWD vehicle when it goes on sale here in Canada sometime next spring --- providing it will hold 2 toddler seats in the rear (rear and forward facing).
We currently have a 2010 Subaru Forester - which I really like, but I promised my sister she could have it sometime next year (because her 9 year old Rav4 is falling apart).
My main concern is interior room for me, my wife and the 2 gandkids.
I'm 6' 5" (196 cms) and fit fine in my Forester with my grandson behind me in a front facing toddler car seat and there's sufficient room behind my wife for a rear facing car seat.
The GLK350 and Audi Q5 also have sufficient room, but I prefer the handling and performance of the BMW to other brands ( I currently have the 1-series Cabrio & had a Z4 prior to that), so I'm going for either the X1 or the X3.
My preference is for the X1 as the X3 has grown in proportions.
Any feedback will be welcomed.
TIA.
      11-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Hi there. I am 188 cm tall and with very long legs There is no problem for my wife, 167 cm to sit in the rear seat behind me, but there is not much space leftover... As for the front facing toddler car seat I really can´t tell. Maybe someone else on the forum can...
Take a look at the BMW web-site, there is an original seat called BMW Junior Seat II that fits for the X1.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Hi there Carnut,

Good choice... Gonna be looking good on the Gardiner !!

My best recommendation would be to try to sit in a 3 Series. If you feel confortable, you'll feel confortable in the X1, which has a slightly higher ceiling clearance.
      11-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post

Good choice... Gonna be looking good on the Gardiner !!
Somebody feeling homesick? Don't worry. It was like 3C this morning with fierce winds.
      11-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

I'm not very tall (170 cm) and sit relatively close to the steering wheel. We have a rear-facing maxi-cosi behind the drivers seat which fits just fine. I just tried to push back the driver's seat as far as I can with the child's seat behind, and it looks like there is some room, although not too much. My best guess is that in your case it will fit, but you may have to advance the driver's seat when removing the child's seat. I'll try to make some pics tomorrow and show you.

Oh, and please remember that in the X1 the front passenger airbag's deactivation is an option, so don't forget to order it!

If you get the X1, I'll be very curious to have your opinion on how it compares with the forrester, because I was considering the latter before finally deciding for the bmw
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Hi all:
Is there anyone here who is a 6+ footer with 2 kids in car seats?
We Canucks do not have access to the X1 yet, but based on everything I've read, it looks like it'll be my next AWD vehicle when it goes on sale here in Canada sometime next spring --- providing it will hold 2 toddler seats in the rear (rear and forward facing).
We currently have a 2010 Subaru Forester - which I really like, but I promised my sister she could have it sometime next year (because her 9 year old Rav4 is falling apart).
My main concern is interior room for me, my wife and the 2 gandkids.
I'm 6' 5" (196 cms) and fit fine in my Forester with my grandson behind me in a front facing toddler car seat and there's sufficient room behind my wife for a rear facing car seat.
The GLK350 and Audi Q5 also have sufficient room, but I prefer the handling and performance of the BMW to other brands ( I currently have the 1-series Cabrio & had a Z4 prior to that), so I'm going for either the X1 or the X3.
My preference is for the X1 as the X3 has grown in proportions.
Any feedback will be welcomed.
TIA.
Hi carnut,

Not quite as tall as you but still a lanky 6' 1". My six year old son sits behind me no problem in a full Britax booster seat. In the UK the front seat airbag de-activation as well as 2x2 isofix mounts points on the rear seats are standard but do check where you are.

In my opinion the X1 has more space incl legroom than the 3-series. Partly because you sit higher in the vehicle, ie the drop between your bum (if you will pardon the expression) and your feet is more. The only negative is that my son has to step on the door sill to get in the back, rather than step over it, as the car is higher than a sedan off the ground. The front doors come with sill protectors in the UK but not the back ones so I stuck some of that 3M paint protector film on which works a treat.

Not driven the Forrester and we don't get the GLK here but did test drive the Q5 as well. Did not like the offset driving position and had a sore back after 50 miles so quickly crossed it off my list. X1 handles better as well in my opinion.

Lastly, my wife is a lot shorter than me so we opted for the electric seats with memory, best money I have spent on an option on the car. Also went for the sport seats with electric lumbar support which is really nice.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Somebody feeling homesick? Don't worry. It was like 3C this morning with fierce winds.
Touché ! Yes indeed, former Georgetown resident, worked near Leslie Ave in the Studio District.

Well, we beat you in the Burgundy Dales here... MINUS 3 and a first 5cm of white stuff on the ground..
Attached Images

11-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Thanks to all who responded so far.
Sounds like the X1 should meet our requirements for foul weather driving.

To Nathan35:
I tried several vehicles before settling on the Forrester (including the X3, GLK350 & the Q5). The X3 had everything I wanted (handling & performance)except that it was the last year of production for that generation, so that would not have been a wise choice, The GLK350 was priced very attractively ($45K Cdn), but I was very disappointed in the handling - it felt like the old boat-sized Olsmobiles or Cadillacs of the 1980's. The Q5 was overpriced (as are all Audis). The Forrester had much better handling than the GLK (IMO)and came with a ton of standard features and all for approx $31K, so it was a no-brainer.
If the handling of the X1 is anywhere near that of an X3 or my 1er, then I'll be a happy puppy with it.
      11-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
Thanks to all who responded so far.
Sounds like the X1 should meet our requirements for foul weather driving.

To Nathan35:
I tried several vehicles before settling on the Forrester (including the X3, GLK350 & the Q5). The X3 had everything I wanted (handling & performance)except that it was the last year of production for that generation, so that would not have been a wise choice, The GLK350 was priced very attractively ($45K Cdn), but I was very disappointed in the handling - it felt like the old boat-sized Olsmobiles or Cadillacs of the 1980's. The Q5 was overpriced (as are all Audis). The Forrester had much better handling than the GLK (IMO)and came with a ton of standard features and all for approx $31K, so it was a no-brainer.
If the handling of the X1 is anywhere near that of an X3 or my 1er, then I'll be a happy puppy with it.
I'm 6' 4" tall, and find my X1 23d has good leg room. I don't even have the seat as far back as is possible.

I can't comment on children as I don't have any, but there is still a lot of room in the back seats.

As for handling I owned a 987 Porsche Boxster S Sport Edition before the X1, and while I knew that the handling would not be as good as the Porsche, with the sports suspension and performance pack it's almost as good! I was also worried about the run flat tyres combined with the sports suspension and larger wheels, again no problem....just wish it was all available in the M Sport package when I ordered the car. The M Sport body style will be available next year for the X3 & X1, and at that point I will probably change the car.

While writing the options that I really love are the rear reversing camera, it's brilliant, even in the dark (unless you have a spiders web over the lens then it can be like a horror movie!!!). Then there are the adaptive headlights....very interesting. The hard disc on the navigation system is also great for storing CD's. Takes a while to store them but worth it. I've currently fgot 50 discs on mine and there is loads more room.
Appreciate 0